The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to reward characters with high Knowledge skills (or who get really good rolls / spend FPs) by keeping the bonus open ended. If I were using a 1-for-1 ratio (rather than a 1-for-3), I'd be more inclined to reconsider.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

As per the RAW, a character may take double the time to perform an action, receiving a +1D bonus. As part of Preparation, the character may roll one relevant Knowledge or Technical skill to generate a modifier that stacks with the Preparation bonus. For every three points by which the Knowledge / Technical skill roll succeeds, the character receives a modifier of +1.

So, for example, if a character is shooting at a Quarren, they may make an Alien Species skill roll to see if they recall any relevant information about a Quarren's weak spots or vulnerable organs. The character takes a round to Prepare, and beats the Alien Species Difficulty by 7 points, thus generating a +2 modifier, which is then applied to the base Preparation Bonus of +1D, for a total combined bonus on +1D+2.

I like this concept.
The idea of "hey, you can take a knowlege roll to help you with another task" .... it is kind of link being a complementary skill for your self.

I have an "assist" rule in my game where players can help one another if they can come up with a at least semi-plausable way in which it works - they make a roll - and if successful can give the other player a bonus.
(inspired by the savage worlds Support rules).

This is basically trying to "assist" yourself.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I like this concept.
The idea of "hey, you can take a knowlege roll to help you with another task" .... it is kind of link being a complementary skill for your self.
This is basically trying to "assist" yourself.

I have a simple general rule that includes Knowledge skills but is also beyond just Knowledge. There is only one skill roll though...

Quote:
Skill Synergy

If a skill roll may be complimented by a character's ability in another skill, the GM may determine that the skill roll receives one of three possible bonuses from the supporting skill:
    1) +1 for every 1D of the complimenting skill.
    2) +1 for every 1D of the complimenting skill over 2D.
    3) +1 for every 1D of the complimenting skill over the die code of the skill being attempted (disregarding pips).

Skills, revised
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only objection to a synergy rule is that I prefer the Knowledge skill actually being rolled, as opposed to being the root value to generate a bonus.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this synergy work on a dozen skills, even based imo more on skill- skill synergy as well as an attribute-skill synergy

perception: I can see how a con persuasion, investigation can actually reveal information that ill affect other skills.

Investigation is imo a very powerful skill this way, I use this to investigate spesific issues, as the skill is described this can corss over to many other fields, like giving you information on a gambler's tells before the game starts, information about a species new to you that you come acrosss in the investigation.

And yes Knowledge Attribute is great for this type as well, as brilliantly IMO written up in this thread.

I can see much "gathered information" to allow synergies to rolls.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My only objection to a synergy rule is that I prefer the Knowledge skill actually being rolled, as opposed to being the root value to generate a bonus.

Agreed. You should have to DO something to get that bonus, not just 'have xyz skill at abc level'.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Agreed. You should have to DO something to get that bonus, not just 'have xyz skill at abc level'.

Understood. My rule is for cases where just having one skill can quickly boost another skill, and beneficial when you only want a single roll. It was stated as in addition to this concept, not in place of it. I already do this general concept, where the result of a Knowledge (or other) roll benefits (or detriments) another skill roll, but perhaps not all the same applications discussed. I didn't feel I had much to add to that.

I am not fond of the particular option of medical or species knowledge being used in the heat of combat to increase damage because that requires embracing game mechanical pre-damage hit location, which betrays my embracement of interpretive hit location (post-damage roll), which does not allow called shots for body parts or the like. And this topic already got heated here recently.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: