The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Capital Ship Crew Size vs Rebel Crew Size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Imperial Capital Ship Crew Size vs Rebel Crew Size
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Imperial Capital Ship Crew Size vs Rebel Crew Size Reply with quote

I have noticed several ships of similar size, but with a huge difference in crew size.

We even see this with "carry over" star ships, where the crew size is often not only doubled but sometime even multiplied with 5 and even 10 times.

The Arquittens Class Light Cruiser is one such example, we have a relatively small craw of less than 100 for the most part during the GAR time, then later we have the commad cruiser variant (as well as the others) with then a huge increase in crew size.

Gozanti Light Cruiser is another such example, again we see increase in size.

This makes me thin that perhaps the listed crew sizes like 30 000+ for ISDs and suh is really part of a doctrine where the "inflated" crew size is really double, tripple maybe even quadruple department crews.

We have on each ISD 4 Engineering crews, 4 Gunnery crews, 4 Bridge Crew etc. where basically 1 crew works at any given time, and this part od the increase in military is then the result, tripple and quadruple of the actual "needed" crew.

Each deparment crew being enough personnel for two full shifts

COmpared to the much smaller rebel alliance where you maybe have onely one crew pr department, each crew doig a 12 hour shift, or maybe as much as 3 for 8 Hour shifts.

the Empire would also have 8 Hour shifts, but "trippled" simply to fulfill the military expansion.

I Can easily see that a rebublic operated ISD will operate at 100% capacity but with maybe as slittle 1/3 or 1/4th the crew compared to the Imparial Navy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, imperial doctrine imo would be more akin to ours, n that shifts would be less than what say a ragtag group of rebels would do...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, imperial doctrine imo would be more akin to ours, n that shifts would be less than what say a ragtag group of rebels would do...

I agree, the rebes are more rag tag, and that the empire by doctrine is more organized, I just wonder if this doctrine is why ship crews are inflated, seeing the above statement one could wonder if you meant rebels act at a penalty, like skeleton crew levels compared to the Empire, but they do not they operate their massive captal ship effectively and full with a mere fraction of imperial crew sizees.

I just wonder if the numbers refelct dictrone and not actual operational requirements.

I can easily see that there is a huge crew needed, but I can aslo see the extreme redundacy in a ISD number...I for the life of can not compte those number as "needed" when I look to other warshops of the era, non Imperial and I see the wastly smaller crew and "No real reduction in operational effectiveness, if any"

So did empire stick 4 crew on a ship that they needed just 1 crew on, and then made this the norm simply so that the troopers and soldiers had a
place in the growing empire..

Becuse I can not see any need for an ISD to have a crew much bigger than 5000 covwering both hourly shifts, reserves, and large neough to operate the ship and rest.

I see the epire if we were to look to earth, a US NAvy carrier with 5000 cres, 300 meters long, In the Emprie it has 25 000 crew, beuce of the doctrine, not becuse of actual operational needed or even effectiveness
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its a mix of both. Imperial ships have lots of rolls that are redundant. Spares.. Rebels don't.
BUT it was also done as a 'show of force' issue.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Potentially unpopular opinion here;

I think we are reading things into numbers that game designers kind of arbitrarily came up with.

As many others have pointed out (hence, the massive amounts of house rules, and revised stats on this board) there are incredible inconsistencies in a lot of the stats in the game, especially on ships.

I typically ignore many of the stats that don't make sense, honestly.

Now, if you did want to say that rebel's run leaner crews due to shortages (or more trust in droids, whatever) then run with that - it makes good sense.

But I don't think there was any intention in the wildly diverse numbers we get sometimes (don't even get me started on cargo capacity or consumables).

But hey, to each their own.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid point Pac. If you compare say an ISD to even just a Neb B, the #s don't really justify such a massive increase.

A Neb B is 300 meters, with a crew of 854.

Where as an ISD mark 1, is 1,600 meters. Just over 5 times the size.. So, why then is their crew listed as 36,810. Thats 43 times the crew. IS an ISD REALLY THAT much larger, do justify that much increase? IMO no.
10, or even 15 times, maybe. BUT 43 times?
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Where as an ISD mark 1, is 1,600 meters. Just over 5 times the size.. So, why then is their crew listed as 36,810. Thats 43 times the crew. IS an ISD REALLY THAT much larger, do justify that much increase? IMO no.
10, or even 15 times, maybe. BUT 43 times?

Generally speaking, volume increases as the cube of the linear size increase. So if you double the length without changing any of the proportions, your interior volume increases by a factor of 8. I know it's not a direct analogy, since the ships aren't remotely similarly shaped, and distribution of crew doesn't directly follow the volume - but it gives a decent first-order estimate.

Based on that (and that alone), a Nebulon-B that's 5 times as long would theoretically then need 5^3 as much crew, which is 125 times as much.

Now, obviously not everything scales directly. But it does make some sense that larger ships need significantly larger crews.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arquitens-class light cruiser, also known as the Jedi light cruiser or Republic light cruiser and later the Imperial light cruiser,
was a line of light cruisers designed by Kuat Drive Yards that saw extensive service with the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars.
They would go on to see limited service under the Galactic Empire,
though Kuat Drive Yards would later refit them into an updated variant for the Imperial Navy,
the Arquitens-class command cruiser.

the PRE Empire Aquittens class light Cruiser : Crew 100
Arquittens class Command cruiser ( imperial upgrade Post Republic) : Crew 750

Now I find this to be strange, as also know from scourses like the CW series and other that this particular ship can be piloted
without suffering "skeleton crew penalties" with a very love crew of only a handfull.

We know of legends/EU stories form novels and comics, where assumed to be a fairly small rebel force steals large ships.
We also see Holdo at least bring a ship to hyperspace with a crew of 1x Holdo only.

So if we then look to the crew sizes I would argue we should count gunners as crew, not +gunners
I am also prone to incluse onboard troops as "crew" with the gunner, troop etc numbers simply specifying the type of crew.

I say this mainly becuse of reading up on a gozanti, and how the crew there is listed in the wokkiepedia, though that is of course not a 100% scourse
there we have pilots, engineers, load masters, gunners and stromtroopers all listed under "crew" with additional room for passengers.

I don't know enough details about the ISDs to make them fully make sense, like the so called lack of hangar space, with the IMO very small if not insignificant number
of short range star fighters consiering the "role" of the ISD, we see the ISD have plenty space to tractos and palce a 150m Corvette In but ONE hangar., but I digress

I belive that the crew incudes both the listed (troops) and gunners, if so we can argue that about 1/3 of the ISD Crew is the stomtroopers and then we add to this the other
ground assult elements.

I will argue these are very much part of the crew, comparing things to real world navy ships, the laundry man is also a gunner or a gunner's mate etc, your daily job is not the
battle station. onboard marines serve and are considered crew.
However in troop transport roles the added troops are of curse not crew.

so to me this is a conandrum, why the empire have so much more crew comared to others, even in the "exact" same ships and types
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republic and later Rebel ships had more Multi Skilled Crews and where more willing to use Droids.

On a Republic or Rebel ship that Clerk down the Armory will likely also be an Assistant Armorer, on an Imperil ship that Armory Clerk will just be a Clerk (unless they are a ISB or Internal Security Monitor). on Republic Ships your Gunners would likely be constrained as assistant Weapons or Munitions Techs and along with the Droid Complement would help out with Maintenance and preform mid-combat Repairs, Imperial Ships would have bigger Tech Crews and those bigger crews need more Support crews to run bigger Sickbays, Mess, Laundries and so on. also Imperial Officers expect more Stewards.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
Republic and later Rebel ships had more Multi Skilled Crews and where more willing to use Droids.

On a Republic or Rebel ship that Clerk down the Armory will likely also be an Assistant Armorer, on an Imperil ship that Armory Clerk will just be a Clerk (unless they are a ISB or Internal Security Monitor). on Republic Ships your Gunners would likely be constrained as assistant Weapons or Munitions Techs and along with the Droid Complement would help out with Maintenance and preform mid-combat Repairs, Imperial Ships would have bigger Tech Crews and those bigger crews need more Support crews to run bigger Sickbays, Mess, Laundries and so on. also Imperial Officers expect more Stewards.

This smakes some sense to me.
if we also look at how out navy vessels work, we know that the trash comactor operator has a battle station, and this can be as a gunner or a loader etc.

I have never heard of any navy ship that has a crew that is "only" gunners, simply laying in bed when the ship is not on battle station, and if on battle station stying on post until they pass out from lack of sleep.

I rather belive that the crew indeed performs multipl roles, with some of the crew being techs, other being gunners, comms and sensor operators, and if a carrier, many being flight support crew.

Now I do belive that this is not how the impire decoded to do this, I actually belive they have large crews bacuse they actually have gunners that actually do absolutely nothing until they have to shoot, if the empire does this then it makes sense to have such large crews.

However on the topic, if we were to incluse the "gunner" number in the total, maeaning a ship with crew 100 and 40 gunners has a crew of 140, 40 of wich are tranied as and operate as ship gunners, but they are still counted among the galley crew, the fire fighters, the clerks etc etc.

this will redcue crrew of some 100s and even if not much it makes more sense.

a Nimitz class carrier houses about 5000 people, and is what 300-ish meter long, so compare thhis to a 1.6 km ship of 30 000 is really not that much more, the issue comes when added on this is the weapon and system operators.

I can see that crews always incude gunners, but the gunner number indicates how much crew is used in comabt.
you need 40 gunners from your crew, you have only 20 and suffer a +5 skelton penalty to the gunnery and so on.

I am sure that the crew operating the weapon systems on our earth navy ships are condisered regular parts of the crew, and counted seperately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: