The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Immune to the Darkside?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Immune to the Darkside?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

Yoda Species, can they be immune to the darkside?

or mybe not that species, but "a species" immune to the darkside, and naturally one "immune" to the light side or better yet being of the darkside totally, at a biological level.

Much like some races in fantasy TTRPG, like orcs and ogres, being in some cases Bilogically evil
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

or mybe not that species, but "a species" immune to the darkside, and naturally one "immune" to the light side or better yet being of the darkside totally, at a biological level.

Much like some races in fantasy TTRPG, like orcs and ogres, being in some cases Bilogically evil

In canon? Doesn't seem to fit with anything that's been established anywhere, either in Legends or the current canon. (With the possible exception of Dark Side creations like the Terentatek and other Sithspawn.)

In my 'verse? Nope.

In yours? It's up to you.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

So, is this a theoretical discussion - or is a player fishing for a character race that can get dark side points all day long and not have an effect?

Also - what do you mean by "immune'. Dark side powers don't work against them? or they can't get DSP?

If there were such a thing - it should be npc's only -as DSP are a balancing factor in the game.

Also, I would find it hard to believe anyone could be "immune" to force lightning - but hey, who knows.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest i've had IN GAME< was a race that was flat out IMMUNE to the force.. Not just no force powers would work on them, BUT THEY ALSO couldn't gain/spend force points...

When the empire found their species, he ordered an immediate Quelling of them, seeing them as a major threat.. Only 100 or so, were off planet at the time, and so avoided their brethren's extermination.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

So, is this a theoretical discussion - or is a player fishing for a character race that can get dark side points all day long and not have an effect?

Also - what do you mean by "immune'. Dark side powers don't work against them? or they can't get DSP?

If there were such a thing - it should be npc's only -as DSP are a balancing factor in the game.

Also, I would find it hard to believe anyone could be "immune" to force lightning - but hey, who knows.

Theoretical, it stems from the mandalorian, ans the grogu thing, we have seen things "dark" about the boy, so this more to the species really, we have onel seen this species even with waddle as a sort of "polar extrme" in the jedi and the force being the good guys, and outside beingf the most powerful Jedi, Little Yoda seemed to be the one least physically at least affected by the Plapatine's force attacks, and then is part of the absorbing and that.

os yes very much a philosopical one, where perhpas the extinct red sith, or maybe the massassi etc, deshade, other powerful force connected species that IMO can be a polar opposite.

And the much like other settings and other game worlds, an Orc is bon evil always with a polar opposite of a elf being botn good (usually)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be hesitant to base anything on material in any Disney+ series as it seems pretty clear, at least to me, that the writers do not have any real concept or grasp on the Star Wars Intellectual Property they obtained. Not it's Ethos, it's Mythos, it's style. They are and have been so radically changing whatever they feel like because they can and throwing it in the face of those fans who complain. In fact, the whole baby Grogu thing being continued seems like a cash grab to appeal to really young audiences. I will admit it was cute and interesting at first, but just as with Baby Groot (cute at first but now overdone for a cash grab IMHO) it does not need to keep being shoehorned in to everything Star Wars (The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, possibly season 2 of Kenobi...)

If you are someone who likes this (not just Mamatried but anyone reading my post), I have no issue with that and I am not trying to dampen your parade - these are just my thoughts and observations.

@Mamatried, Though, when you say " we have seen things "dark" about the boy" could you elaborate?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

Based on some of OP's previous posts, I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

Quote:

If "immunity to the Dark Side" were a thing, I'd rule it as either 1) the character receives a bonus to Willpower when using Dark Side risk powers, or 2) they have a blanket ban on performing acts that would earn them a DSP, with the GM having veto power over any action declared by the player that would earn them a DSP. As in, if the player declares the character wants to do something Dark, the GM can simply say "no, they don't. Choose another action." The GM could even penalize the character on CP awards post-game on account of failure to roleplay according to the character's background.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have force immune creatures and species.

this is more a theoretical thing about "archetypes" if you will, or maybe a way to compare the allignment system of things like D&D

In most D&D type settings, orcs, Ogres and some Elves are "always" evil, they are if you will "born of the darkside"

while there are some again that are always good, and we can say ebing born from the light side.

My theory in this is that the Yoda Species is one of the species that is "always good" this does not mean they can not be evil through evil deeds, but they are ALWAYS good.

Much like the Red Sith, or the Masassi being "evil" and as such so powerful that they intermixed with the dark jedi that formed the sith back when.

Now these species are both extinct and we really don't see more than 3-4 Yoda's though out the saga, all being the archeype "good"

this is what I mean with immune to the darkside, they are "the light side" as a species.

As to the powers Grogu spesifically have used or could have used, nothing IMO is directly any more "playing with the darkside" than any other jedi that is in a fight, in fact far less, however when meeting luke and choosing as he did, many would think this in some way was Grgu being more of a "grey/dark" type force user going foce bounty hunting with daddy Djinn, but I don't think so, I think this shows that even with some of the more deadly displays the child showed, we still see the "restraint" and how it seems natural to choose the "light side".

I put this down not only to the traning in the force but to the species as well, based on what we know of the other memebrs, all being super strong in the light side, and both yaddle and Yoda showing an aggressive but not "darkly so" side when in a fight for life
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

or mybe not that species, but "a species" immune to the darkside

No.

Mamatried wrote:
and naturally one "immune" to the light side

Tendencies to the Dark Side, sure. "Immune" to the light side? No.

Mamatried wrote:
or better yet being of the darkside totally, at a biological level.

No. Star Wars species weren't created by evil wizards, SW is not fantasy, and that would be boring in SW.

CRMcNeill wrote:
pakman wrote:

Based on some of OP's previous posts, I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

Until now I had forgotten about Why Powergaming does not exist.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
or 2) they have a blanket ban on performing acts that would earn them a DSP, with the GM having veto power over any action declared by the player that would earn them a DSP. As in, if the player declares the character wants to do something Dark, the GM can simply say "no, they don't. Choose another action." The GM could even penalize the character on CP awards post-game on account of failure to roleplay according to the character's background.

I'd be more apt to that. If their race is described as not ever doing anything dark, then i'd have power to veto an action they would like to try, THAT would be dark.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Immune to the Darkside? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
or 2) they have a blanket ban on performing acts that would earn them a DSP, with the GM having veto power over any action declared by the player that would earn them a DSP. As in, if the player declares the character wants to do something Dark, the GM can simply say "no, they don't. Choose another action." The GM could even penalize the character on CP awards post-game on account of failure to roleplay according to the character's background.

I'd be more apt to that. If their race is described as not ever doing anything dark, then i'd have power to veto an action they would like to try, THAT would be dark.

Now we are getting to the theme I wanted to put out, that the species is immue to the darkside, aka the species is not capable of darkside actions 8and with that the powers needing certain darkside actions)
and is thus Immune to the darkside
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i even had such a species, it would be backround filler, NOT SOMETHING a player could become...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i even had such a species, it would be backround filler, NOT SOMETHING a player could become...

I generally would not allow the Yoda soecies.

I do however find the concept of being "immune" to the dark side in that the species can not use a dark power. basically is not capable of channleing the dark side.

however normal rules would apply on every other force power so that the species can gain Darkside Points, But again is "immune" as in can not tap into dark energy at all.

I can see a possibility that the red sith (extinct by the movie era) could have been a somewhat polar oppoiste, they could only access the dark side, ans this is why they became integrated with the dark jedi who founded the sith order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: