The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars at the Box Office
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars at the Box Office Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to me that - in the OP - they break down and consider "Star Wars" and "Star Wars (Special Edition)" to be separate films.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
It's interesting to me that - in the OP - they break down and consider "Star Wars" and "Star Wars (Special Edition)" to be separate films.

Now I'm not sure why that was, since most of the time re-releases are included in the original totals. I no longer have the same access because the site went subscriber-based after I posted the OP, which is why the OP was never properly updated with TRoS.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Now I'm not sure why that was, since most of the time re-releases are included in the original totals. I no longer have the same access because the site went subscriber-based after I posted the OP, which is why the OP was never properly updated with TRoS.

I recently heard that Fox owns a percent of Star Wars (1977) But George Lucas owns 100% of Star Wars: A New Hope (1997). The money from those sales goes to different bank accounts.

If true, it also explains why George rationalizes burying the originals forever. People can rationalize pretty much anything that they personally gain from.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

I recently heard that Fox owns a percent of Star Wars (1977) But George Lucas owns 100% of Star Wars: A New Hope (1997). The money from those sales goes to different bank accounts.

If true, it also explains why George rationalizes burying the originals forever. People can rationalize pretty much anything that they personally gain from.

Except that we know that GL sold the entirety of Lucasfilm (which includes all Star Wars properties) to Disney, and then years later FOX sold just about everything of theirs (less their news network and sports) to Disney as well.

So now they ALL go into the gold coffers of Scrooge McDuck.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
George Lucas owns 100% of Star Wars: A New Hope (1997). The money from those sales goes to different bank accounts.

That's a lot of wacky conspiracy theory poodoo. Doug is right. Disney owns the entirety of Lucasfilm, so Lucas own none of Star Wars anymore.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I recently heard that Fox owns a percent of Star Wars (1977)

Owned (past tense). Even before Disney bought Fox, Fox only owned the permanent full distribution rights for the original Star Wars film (but I think that included all revisions of it). So in other words, Fox got a cut (probably around 10%) from money the movie made until Fox sold to Disney. I'm sure that was part of the impetus for Disney buying Fox in the first place, so they wouldn't have to keep sending Fox checks for Star Wars.

Disney buying Fox also meant they gained controlling interest of Hulu (60%), Avatar, and a lot of other properties. I just learned today that the fourth film of the current Planet of the Apes series was in development for years before the Disney sale, and now under Disney it is moving forward.

The 1997 version of ANH (VHS and laser disc) hasn't been sold since before 2004 when it was replaced by the DVD version. After the 2011 blu-ray version, Lucas' last revision was the "Ma klounkee" version (4K, it was unfinished when Disney bought it). Lucas stopped getting paid for ANH in 2012. Fox stopped getting paid for ANH in 2020.

Of course Lucas owns a lot of Disney stock, so he is still getting paid indirectly for Star Wars in that way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: