The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combining Melee and Brawling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combining Melee and Brawling Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is time to really land on combing either brawling and Brawling Pary into One skill Brawling Combat:
And melee Combat and melee parry becommng only Melee Combat.

One still Str based and one Dex based.

What makes me see the logic in combining all 4 skills into someting like close combat is that I can kick you while I fight with my sword.
so I can use a melle weapon with a Brawling attack, maiing imo the skills into one.

As to snneding to specialize I can not see that change, as to Martial Arts, you need 5D in brawling to specialize, then have this be 5D Close combat which should even it out.

As to lightsaber combat, Force Powrs only apply to a force user, so lets use the skill lightsaber here, not the force power lightsaber combat, since this is a skill not a force power thing.

So if we look to the lightsaber skill we have a melee weapon, usied as any other bladed melee weapon, that is only special in the damage dealt and armor values ignored, but is NOT magic like in the hands of a a jedi.

so yo me Melee combat includes any use of a lightsaber, aka a melee weapon.
with the power lightsaber combat used by the force user to make this weapon HIS and more effective.

However given I can both kick and punch both being BRAWLING attack while I hold a melee weapon like a axe or a sword, I can kick and more with this, and wthinout IMO roling 4 skills we roll 1

normal: roll attack Braling, roll parry melee, then parry Brawling, attack melee combat, then melee parry before another brawing atttack for another melee combat attack and another melee parry and then a brawling attack again.

making imo too much dice rolling, compared to having this as 1 or 2 skills reducing this a lot.

What skill Melee OR Blawling, or Both is a used with the man swining his sword while he makes a kick to you face, or he holds his sword and then with the same hand he holds the sord he gives a punch, hitting you with his hand, not weapon........what skill?

To me a Close COmbat skill can best incorporste all this, and IMO should be a DEX skill as well as I can argue that strenght in no way isolated imporoves the chance to hit, while dex does.
Str I keep for Damage only in this case.
with the possiblitu of some specialization possibly be strength based
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw I never cared for the the Rule that Martial Arts is considered Advance Skill this needing 5D in Brawl before using it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Fwiw I never cared for the the Rule that Martial Arts is considered Advance Skill this needing 5D in Brawl before using it.

There isn’t a hard rule that Advanced Skill Prerequisites have to be 5D. (A) Engineering has several that are 4D or lower.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

There isn’t a hard rule that Advanced Skill Prerequisites have to be 5D. (A) Engineering has several that are 4D or lower.

Good to know! Though I thought that for Martial Arts, 5D was always used.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I thought that for Martial Arts, 5D was always used.

Since there's no official rule for Martial Arts as an Advanced Skill, it can be whatever you want to be. Of course, it could just as easily be that the "basics" of martial arts are covered by the normal Skills of Brawling and Brawling Parry, with (A) Martial Arts covering learning more advanced techniques beyond that. The dividing line between Skills and Advanced Skills doesn't have to line up exactly with the setting where you learned them, so a novice learning basic-level blocks and strikes in a dojo could easily be improving their Brawling and Brawling Parry skills, just in a more formalized setting.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
To me a Close Combat skill can best incorporate all this, and IMO should be a Dex skill as well as I can argue that strength in no way isolated improves the chance to hit, while Dex does.
Str I keep for Damage only in this case.
with the possibility of some specialization possibly be strength based

I moved Brawling to Dexterity a long time ago, using Strength mainly for Damage purposes, as well as providing advantages for Grappling. Based on the skillset needed to punch someone who doesn't want to be punched, I'm certain that the only reason it was placed under Strength is for game balance, not because it was the best fit.

It's also worth pointing out generally that a lot of the changes I'm proposing are part of a patchwork of house rules that will reshuffle pretty much all aspects of close combat. This includes things like my Defense skill, making Lightsaber an Advanced Skill with Melee Combat as a prerequisite, making Dodge an Advanced Skill and so on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: