The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order / Survivor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order / Survivor Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aelwe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Anyone get this yet?

The game is, surprisingly, good enough, considering that it's coming from EA. The story is nothing to write home about, but works well and it has some nice ties and nods to the new lore from Star Wars Rebels. The environments are extremely nice and well done, the sound and graphic design is quite good.
The combat is a mixed bag, some combats are really good and dynamic, some others can be quite boring.

However, it's far from perfect: it has a lot of bugs related to movement and scenario traversal (which is a big part of the game) and also during combat. The game clearly needed some more months of development and polishing, but as far as Star Wars videogames go it's the best we've got in the last 10 years or so.

My recommendation would be to get it when it's on sale.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Jedi Fallen Order Reply with quote

I got the game in August of 2020 and I have completed the story 4 times.

90% of the games that I have on my Xbox I have to put the disk into it to load the game. When I got Fallen Order I left the disk in my Xbox for almost 2 weeks, I couldn't stop playing it.

Now the game of course has some bugs and weird glitches but it's not a terrible game and I think Respawn did an excellent job on it. Compared the other games EA has put out the game is pretty playable and it has some replayablity to it because of the different customization features.

Not a bad game and I would recommend picking it up and trying it out if you haven't already.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upcoming sequel - Cal is back!

Quote:
STAR WARS JEDI: SURVIVOR

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor picks up five years after the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Cal must stay one step ahead of the Empire’s constant pursuit as he continues to feel the weight of being one of the last remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Developed by the veteran team at Respawn Entertainment, Jedi: Survivor will expand upon iconic Star Wars stories, worlds, and characters, and thrilling combat first experienced in Jedi: Fallen Order. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is being built for the current generation of gaming hardware to create a deeper and more expansive Star Wars experience for players worldwide when the game launches in 2023.

Offical page and trailer
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Upcoming sequel - Cal is back!

Quote:
STAR WARS JEDI: SURVIVOR

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor picks up five years after the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Cal must stay one step ahead of the Empire’s constant pursuit as he continues to feel the weight of being one of the last remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Developed by the veteran team at Respawn Entertainment, Jedi: Survivor will expand upon iconic Star Wars stories, worlds, and characters, and thrilling combat first experienced in Jedi: Fallen Order. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is being built for the current generation of gaming hardware to create a deeper and more expansive Star Wars experience for players worldwide when the game launches in 2023.

Offical page and trailer

I am very excited for this sequel. I really enjoyed Fallen Order and it is one of the better EA Star Wars games in my opinion. The trailer looks fairly interesting and I am excited to see how Survivor compares to Fallen Order.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: My thoughts on Jedi: Survivor so far Reply with quote

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, the sequel to EA's 2019 game Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, just released yesterday on April 28th. Here's what I've gathered from the game after just a few hours of playing so far.

1. Customization
The customization in Survivor blows away what we got in Fallen Order. Note: I've only played for a few hours and am not that far into the story, more customization options may appear as I get farther into the story. Here are a few comparisons:

Cal in FO: Can customize poncho and undershirt.

Cal in S: Can customize hair style, facial hair, style and color of undershirt, style and color of pants, style and color of 2nd torso layer (including jackets, vests, and the classic poncho)

-----

Lightsaber in FO: Can customize components/parts (emitter, switch, sleeve), blade color, and material (which changes luster and color of the entirety of Cal's lightsaber, the WHOLE lightsaber was made of 1 chosen material)

Lightsaber in S: Can customize components/parts (emitter switch, sleeve), blade color, and primary, secondary, accent, and grip material (which changes color and luster of each induvial part of Cal's lightsaber), and the option to choose how good of a condition Cal's lightsaber is in (pristine, well-kept, worn, etc.)

-----

BD-1 in FO: Choice of preset skin/paint job

BD-1 in S: Changeable components/parts (photoreceptors, audio receptors, body, legs, etc.), primary, secondary, and accent material (which changes color and luster of each individual part of BD), and the option to select the condition of BD (pristine, well-kept, worn, etc.)

-----

Mantis in FO: Choice of preset paintjob

Mantis in S: I haven't actually found any Mantis customization in the game yet, but I'm not that far along in the story. I have a feeling you will be able to customize the ship (with a little help from Greez) based off of where I am in the story and my current objective. However, the other improved aspects of Survivor certainly make up for not being able to customize the Mantis right off the bat.

2. Exploration/maps and visuals
The exploration throughout the maps and planet are sooooo expansive. I'm only on the 2nd planet of the game, and it almost feels like I'm actually discovering a whole entire planet. There are so many places to go and so many paths to choose from on each planet. The devs took their time on map design, and it shows. The planets in game also look absolutely incredible. You do get the choice between a more visually stunning mode that may sacrifice fps for visuals and a performance mode that pixelates things a bit more to focus on running the game at higher framerates. I play on an Xbox series X with an HD TV so I chose the visual mode and things have been running smoothly and beautifully.

3. Combat
The combat system in Survivor is largely the same thing as in FO, despite the addition of stances. In Fallen order, your option was single bladed or (once you unlocked it in the story) double bladed lightsaber, which you could activate and deactivate the second blade with the push of a button. In Survivor, you can unlock 5 different stances throughout the game. The 5 stances are single blade, double blade (like maul), dual wield (like Ahsoka), cross guards (like Kylo Ren), and a blaster in one hand, lightsaber in the other stance. Every stance has their own advantages and disadvantages, and you can equip 2 at a time and switch between your chosen 2 during gameplay. This allows players to cater the game more towards their preferred playstyle. You unlock the different stances as you play through the game.

4. Enemies
The enemies in Survivor don't leave much to be desired in my opinion. There is a nice blend of prequal and classic trilogy enemies. Some enemies, like stormtroopers, melee baton scout troopers, and purge troopers, are in Survivor from the last game. Of course, there are other enemies that are new the story as well. Just like Fallen Order, there are lots of creatures and fauna that attack you as you travel the galaxy. However, some of the more exciting enemies to me are the prequal trilogy droids. In survivor, Cal gets to fight B1 battle droids, B2 super battle droids, BX commando droids (both with blasters and vibroblades), Magna guards, and droidekas. You will also get to fight dark troopers somewhere along Cal's journey in Survivor.

5. My one pet peeve (Xbox)
Unfortunately, I do have one pet peeve about the game that is kinda annoying. Survivor includes many more gameplay abilities, like a buddy combat system, an accession cable (Cal is both a Jedi and a spiderman now), and a mind trick ability that helps you progress through the story. However, with these new features, comes the need for more buttons to activate all of them. Something I quickly found out when playing the game is that on an Xbox controller, there simply aren't enough buttons to use all of these abilities at once. You need them to progress through the game, but there aren't enough buttons on the Xbox controller to have all of the abilities binded to a button. I once ran into a boss fight and was getting destroyed because I had recently needed to mind trick something and decided to use my evade/dodge button. Only after I was already down a stim canister and quickly losing health did I realize that didn't reset my evade/dodge bind and that's why I kept getting hit with unblockable attacks. Things similar to this occasion have halted my progress and I have to go into setting and unbind some ability just to progress through a certain part of a level. I haven't found a way to make an ability's bind XYZ button+XYZ button, it's only 1 button per ability. This makes me think that the game was made with computer players in mind because the keyboard has a lot more buttons(keys) than an Xbox controller. I fear that as I unlock more and more abilities, this problem will only get worse. If anyone has any suggestions or ways help reduce this, those would be appreciated.

In conclusion, Survivor's customization, maps, graphics, combat, and enemies are all amazing in my opinion. I am looking forward to progressing further through the game and seeing how Cal's journey evolves throughout the game. I 100% absolutely recommend Survivor to anybody who enjoyed the first game or likes exploration story kind of games. Thank you for reading this rather lengthy post.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Oh no! The Rancor! Reply with quote

Here's a promotional image that was released:

Yes, you can enter a Rancor Pit and fight a rancor in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Jedi: Survivor Completion Review Reply with quote

On Thursday, to celebrate May the 4th, I completed the story of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. It's hard to say whether I like Fallen Order or Survivor better, they're both great games. Both are better than the other in certain aspects. Note: I haven't fully completed the game, only the main story.

1. Customization
The customization is incredible in Survivor, and absolutely blows away what we got in Fallen Order. I made a previous post in this thread going into more detail about the specifics, so I won't restate those, but I do have some things to add. For information about the customization of Cal, BD-1, and Cal's lightsaber, read my previous post about Survivor.

The Mantis: Surprisingly, after completing the whole story, you still can't customize the Mantis at all. In Fallen order, you could give the Mantis a new look from your choice of unlocked preset paint jobs that you collected throughout the story. However, in Survivor, there is no customization of The Mantis. This is slightly disappointing but doesn't ruin the amazing customization we get in the other areas of the game.

Cal's blaster: Cal unlocks a blaster (used for the lightsaber+blaster stance) which can be customized. I didn't unlock the blaster yet when I wrote my first review so its customization was not mentioned. You can customize the barrel, body (trigger), and handle of Cal's blaster. You unlock different options for these components throughout the story. More on the lightsaber+blaster stance later.

Crossguards stance: Cal also unlocks a crossguards stance and it has a cool customization feature. After you unlock the crossguards stance, you can customize the "vents" component on Cal's lightsaber. You can also change the angle of the vents on Cal's lightsaber, ranging from 35 degrees to 105 degrees. More on the crossguards stance later.

2. Exploration/maps and visuals
The game does seem to be more open-world than the first game, but the concept is largely the same. Traversing the planets does have some upgrades in Survivor though. Firstly, you can ride Nekkos found an Koboh, which are basically massive mountable chickens that come in a variety of colors. Next are the Relters found on Koboh, which are glider animals you can grab onto and glide far distances with. Finally, the Spamels found on Jedha are tall grey camels you can ride on to traverse Jedha. Cal has some new abilities like an accession cable (spiderman web shooter) and BD-1 can accelerate, brake, and straight up pull a 180 and change directions while on ziplines. The holomap (BD's map) looks basically the same and it's easy to understand in general. The game looks amazing and runs smoothly for me.

3. Combat
The combat system is basically the same as in Fallen Order, but stances are a great new addition to the game. I'll go into more detail about each of the 5 stances since I've unlocked and played with all 5.

Single bladed: Balanced in all situations, fairly powerful and decently quick, good against most enemies

Double bladed: Very quick and evasive, less powerful than others, good for taking out large groups of enemies

Dual wield: Very quick and sharp attacks, good at combo/cluster attacks, pretty good damage for its quick speed

Crossguards: Slow, wind-up attacks, very powerful but very slow, not great against quick and elusive enemies, but powerful towards slower enemies

Lightsaber+blaster: Single bladed lightsaber in one hand, blaster in the other, blaster provides the player with more range, decent damage, blaster has limited ammo that needs to be replenished by lightsaber swings, blaster can be charged up to shoot a power shot

4. Enemies
Fighting prequal era battle droids as well as imperial stormtroopers was great in my opinion. Cal gets to fight B1 Droids (both melee and blaster), B2 Droids, BX Commando Droids (melee only, blaster only, and hybrid/both), Magna Guards, Droidekas, Stormtroopers, Scout Troopers (melee baton only and melee baton with a riot shield), Rocket Troopers, Heavy Minigun Troopers, Dark Troopers, and of course lots of various fauna.

5. Koboh/Pyloon's Saloon
Koboh, specifically Pyloon's Saloon, seems to be the major hub world if you will. As you find people throughout the galaxy, you recruit them to Pyloon's Saloon, which is owned and operated by Greez. Once these people start hanging around Pyloon's Saloon, they will give you side quests, open up shops, and provide the player with other activities such as holotactics and a music DJ. Holotactics appears to be a replacement to the meditation battle arena in the first game, seeing as the custom battle arena and combat challenges (accessed via meditation points in Fallen Order) are not in Survivor. For some reason, holotactics was the only thing that could crash my game, but it was still entertaining and challenging. There's also a garden on top of Pyloon's Saloon that Cal obtains seeds for all across Koboh. However, the garden doesn't really have any gameplay advantage and I can't find a reason for it. I guess to look pretty? Something about the story that was not the best in my opinion was that fact that you end up going back to Koboh after almost every other planet you visit and it is the most expansive planet in the game. You travel to Koboh (what seems like) nearly half a dozen times throughout just the base story.

6. My one pet peeve (Xbox)
As I predicted, learning more and more new abilities as the story went on did prove to be a challenge due to the limited amount of buttons on the Xbox controller. For the majority of the game, I just ended up scraping photo mode and not binding that to any button. Although, you can still access photo mode by pausing the game and (on Xbox) pressing Y for Xbox and (I think) triangle for PlayStation. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I also removed my "special ability" bind for "focus", which is needed for basically all force abilities and buddy puzzle solving. This was annoying to have to mess with but I still made it through the story and enjoyed the game.

In conclusion, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a great game that builds upon the strong base of the first game. The customization, maps, enemies, combat, and graphics are incredible and it is an excellent microtransaction-free EA Star Wars game. You definitely have to play through the first game before you play Survivor though. Definitely check the game out if you like open world/exploration games, are a big fan of Star Wars, or enjoyed Fallen Order and haven't gotten around to playing Survivor yet.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Jedi: Survivor Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the thorough review of this game! The gameplay I've seen looks amazing. The character design is superior to the animated SW shows.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Fallen Order... I'm not sure I can afford Survivor right now... maybe if it ends up available on PS+ subscription?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: