The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Reply with quote

Arrow Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness PARENTS' GUIDE Exclamation

I have failed as a parent, again. And it won't be the last time, but the goal in life is to minimize these failures as much as possible. I have definitely learned my lesson from this failure.

Even though the Marvel Disney+ series have gone in new directions, the MCU movies until now have been very formulaic. After 27 prior PG-13 MCU films from four different studios, I had come to expect what type of content would and would not be in an MCU film. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness totally destroyed the mold.

It at least pushed on the boundaries of horror in a PG-13 movie, but it perhaps even set a new all-time standard for how much horror they can put in a PG-13 movie. The movie eased into it – towards the end it just got worse and worse. It had a lot of nightmarish imagery, lots of violent character deaths, jump scares, and a lot of disgusting gore, including even excessive wounds and blood shown on characters, for a PG-13 movie. One parent speculated that the only reason this movie wasn't rated R is because it was a Disney/MCU film.

I will never again take my son to any movie without reading the parents' guide first. Please be warned about the mature content of this film! If your kid has never watched a horror movie, I strongly recommend previewing it before allowing them to see it!

Prerequisite viewing to fully appreciate Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness would be the first Doctor Strange, Infinity War, Endgame, What If? (entire season 1), WandaVision season 1 episodes 4-9, and No Way Home, ideally in that order. It would help to also have seen any Fantastic Four movie, the original X-Men movie, and perhaps the Inhumans mini-series (but I've haven't seen it yet).

Personally, I had low expectations going into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and it was little bit better than I expected overall. I liked the basic plot and the McGuffin character. It was cool who the main villain turned out to be, and I feel the MCU leading up to this film perfectly prepared the way for this villain.

However, while there were some heroics, I would not even call this a superhero movie. The gore was completely unnecessary. There wasn't much humor. It was a little bit hard to keep track of who was in which universe when. I missed some of the dialogue here and there so I will watch this movie again with subtitles when it comes to Disney+ (but without my son and wife who did not like the movie). Overall, I feel this movie is towards the bottom of the MCU film series, but it probably is better than Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol.2 and Eternals.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue May 10, 2022 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
On the issue of DID (dissociative identity disorder), my son has a superhero character that explores this concept.

He's got two different identities, one very upstanding and heroic (who takes meticulous notes for his 'partner'), and the other is more a complete @$$ (still a hero, but he doesn't mind leaving the other one in the dark about what happened under his watch). Every time the PC takes damage, he rolls to see if he "switches" between the two.

He served as GM once and actually introduced a third (villain) identity, but that was more of a one-time thing, I believe, and mainly he just switches between the two personas.

That's very cool.

I've often wondered how multiple personalities would handle in a d6 game.. How one would rule the attributes/skills breakdown would work..
Would each personality use the same base attributes, but have its own skills list to pull from??
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've often wondered how multiple personalities would handle in a d6 game.. How one would rule the attributes/skills breakdown would work..
Would each personality use the same base attributes, but have its own skills list to pull from??

I contemplated that long and hard, and that is exactly what I came up with. Otherwise it would be too complex.

You need a character sheet for each personality. The attributes are the same for each personality, but in char gen the total skill dice are divided up between the personalities (plus the player gets an extra 1D to allocate for each personality). In play, the first time the character acts in the round, the player declares which personality is in charge for that round and that is the character sheet used for that round. You can't switch personalities again until the next round. The downside is you don't have access to the full spectrum of the character's skills in any single round, but that is balanced by getting an extra 1D for each personality. I'm open to considering other ideas.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you handle HOW they get to switch personalities? IS it by player choice? By random roll? failing willpower checks?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In play, the first time the character acts in the round, the player declares which personality is in charge for that round and that is the character sheet used for that round. You can't switch personalities again until the next round.
garhkal wrote:
How would you handle HOW they get to switch personalities? IS it by player choice? By random roll? failing willpower checks?

My centaur people are a player character species, so they switch personalities by player choice. Remember, this is a species where multiple personalities is the norm. By default, this is not a mental illness where personalities are in conflict with each other or fighting to take control. The player plays all the personalities, so the player decides when one personality hands control over to the next personality (upon the character's first action/reaction of the round).

Now if the player chooses to play the personalities in conflict with each other, the player can. But other characters are not going to want to work with a character who has a severe mental illness, so personality conflicts normally would have to be minor or infrequent to not be too disruptive to the goals of the PCs.

In my background for the species, they originally come from a planet that they shared with a sentient insect species who got addicted to cybernetics and went all "Borg." They insects tried to take over the planet. The centaur people were a herd minded people who hated being alone, but they realized that the best chance of the species surviving was to not collect in numbers, and to spend as much time alone as possible. They developed the multiple personalities to cope with loneliness, and it became the norm for the species. They eventually fought back and the war destroyed their planet, with both species decimated but surviving off world (the insect species renouncing cybernetics). Today, both species inhabit a giant space station together in peace.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fascinating and well-constructed backstory for your centaur people.

This topic reminds me of one of the most unusual RPGs I've ever played called Everyone Is John. I believe it's a tip of the hat to Being John Malkovich (which I haven't seen).

We played this game online (early in the pandemic), as part of a group of short games (each lasting an hour or two). The game was mostly narrative, with every player a different personality in the body of the same person that wrests narrative control away from other players as you go. It was one of the wildest games I've every played in. By the end our "John" was dressed in women's clothing, driving a commandeered police car the wrong way on the freeway, shooting a gun out the window like a madman. Wild, but also a ton of fun, for a goofy change-of-pace.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do those centaur folks, handle 'leveling up' with CP? If say at the end of an adventure (game session) everyone earned 3cp, does that go to EACH personality the centaur has, or is it split up?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
That's a fascinating and well-constructed backstory for your centaur people.

Thanks!

DougRed4 wrote:
This topic reminds me of one of the most unusual RPGs I've ever played called Everyone Is John. I believe it's a tip of the hat to Being John Malkovich (which I haven't seen).

We played this game online (early in the pandemic), as part of a group of short games (each lasting an hour or two). The game was mostly narrative, with every player a different personality in the body of the same person that wrests narrative control away from other players as you go. It was one of the wildest games I've every played in.

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that game or movie.

garhkal wrote:
How do those centaur folks, handle 'leveling up' with CP? If say at the end of an adventure (game session) everyone earned 3cp, does that go to EACH personality the centaur has, or is it split up?

The character doesn't get skill points for each personality. They are awarded to the character as a whole like any other character. The player decides which skills on which personalities get improved, with the same rules applying for experience, training times, and teachers. Ultimately, it's still one character with a set of attributes and a set of improved skills. They are just limited to which improved skill values they can use on any given round.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Reply with quote

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is coming to Disney+ on June 22.

I don't think I mention previously that the film definitively takes place after Spider-Man: No Way Home, but it is not clear how long after. It is very likely that it takes place in early 2025.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Inhumans and Ms. Marvel on Disney+ Reply with quote

So I finished watching Marvel's Inhumans, an 8-episode ABC mini-series that was vaguely spun-off from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the series that had introduced the Inhuman species (an offshoot of humanity with varied super-powers which arose due to ancient alien genetic experiments, or something like that). It's similar to Eternals and X-mutants.

I think this series is even worse than the Eternals film and I cannot recommend it. The series' premise is not that compelling. The resolution is poorly written, but maybe the whole thing was. A version of the lead Inhumans character (Black Bolt) is briefly in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (played by the same actor).

~~~

Disney+ new MCU series, Ms. Marvel, premiered last week. Nothing very intriguing so far, but we'll see where it goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everyone i've spoken to, about that inhumans show, said 'give it a pass'...
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inhumans was going to be a film, then they changed it to a TV show. Something got lost in translation.

When you look at the core story, it's not much different from the first Thor film - outcast family member tries to usurp the throne by getting the rightful heir out of the way. Heir gathers his team to get the throne back.

Where I think they went wrong was in not giving enough time with the characters before that event; getting to know who they are as heroes before taking it all away from them. Since you don't have any clear grasp of what they lost, you're not engaged in watching them get it back.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Inhumans Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Most everyone i've spoken to, about that inhumans show, said 'give it a pass'...

Yep, I agree with that.

Ziz wrote:
Inhumans was going to be a film, then they changed it to a TV show. Something got lost in translation.

When you look at the core story, it's not much different from the first Thor film - outcast family member tries to usurp the throne by getting the rightful heir out of the way. Heir gathers his team to get the throne back.

Where I think they went wrong was in not giving enough time with the characters before that event; getting to know who they are as heroes before taking it all away from them. Since you don't have any clear grasp of what they lost, you're not engaged in watching them get it back.

That's a good perspective. I agree that the show starting out with royal family losing the throne was a bad call. I think Inhumans could possibly have been better as a movie, but probably only if they focused on less of the characters, which would make it even more like Thor. I think Eternals doesn't really work well partly due to too many new characters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw Thor: Love and Thunder tonight, the 29th film in the MCU series. It was definitely not as good as Ragnarok, but it was ok I guess. I can't state too many opinions without spoilers. It had a lot of Guns N' Roses in it, and screaming goats.

Last week I re-watched Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness which is on Disney+ now. I was able to keep track of the plot better watching it the second time and with captions. IMO it's still pretty low on the list of MCU films, only really better than Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and The Eternals.

So the best post-Endgame MCU films so far are the Spider-Man films and Black Widow. I'm not very excited about the slate of upcoming films and Disney+ shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films#Phase_Four
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though i caught widow and the eternals on dvd, spiderman 3 was the ONLY thing so far from phase 4 i've seen.... In the theater at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: