The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Duros, revised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Duros, revised
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Duros, revised Reply with quote

Duros

Singular: Duros
Adjective: durosian
Languages: Durese, Galactic Standard (Basic), Bocce (Colonies)
Homeworlds: Duro and several other major colonies
Species Type: reptiles
Size: 1.8 / 1.5-2.1 meters
Move: 10/12
Average Total ATTRIBUTE DICE: 14D
Code:
      AVERAGE    MIN/MAX
  DEX:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  KNO:   2D+1   1D+1/4D+1
  MEC:   3D     2D+1/4D+2
  PER:   2D     1D/4D
  STR:   2D     1D/3D+2
  TEC:   2D+1   1D+2/4D+1
  FOR:   0D     0D/3D

STARTING SKILL DICE BONUS: At the time of player character creation, Duros receive an extra 4D to allocate to any of the following skills: zero-g/freefall/flying, astrography, com-scan operation, shield operation, spaceship gunnery, spaceship operation, hyperdrives, space weapon tech, spaceship tech, (A) astrogation, (A) capital ship operation, and (A) capital ship tech. One of these four bonus dice may be converted into three dice for space-related specializations of these skills or others.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duros, revised Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Hellbent wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Do you have a rundown of what some of those 'racial packages' are?

It's one of my many ongoing projects. Most of my playable species stat blocks are still in draft form (and some I haven't done yet). I only have two in shareable form so far...

Humans
Zabrak

I'm going to share them all eventually, but for my convenience I am sharing them in my house system, so I've had to post details on my system first so there would be a reference for the different skill names, etc.

I would be very interested in this, should you ever post it. Sounds great.

Whill wrote:
Sure, I can compile them into a document when I am done, but I'll post them piecemeal first so everyone can argue why each one is wrong first, lol.

Proper proofreading! 😁

Ardennians were next.

Duros were next. I've done humans, a PT species, a Disney film species, and now a CT/WEG species.

The most obvious difference from RAW is trading the '2-for-1' bonus skill dice for flat bonus skill dice. (As stated throughout the forum ad nauseum, I vehemently oppose any '2-for-1' bonuses.) This way, all Duros PCs have exactly he same number of starting skill dice regardless of which skills and how many skill dice they allocate to them.

Like all RAW species, I also tweak the attribute dice and ranges as I see needed. It made no sense in RAW that a species who is know for traveling around the galaxy had such low Knowledge, the attribute representing skill gains through experience of traveling around the galaxy. It would be different if the species was fluffed as having poor memories, but they aren't. And Perception shouldn't be so low for a species who enjoys telling stories and are known as "extremely gregarious". They wouldn't have poor senses.

Thoughts on the Duros stats in the OP?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they start with any debt, to reflect any of those (A) starting advanced skills?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Do they start with any debt, to reflect any of those (A) starting advanced skills?

Financial debt? RAW has no rule for a financial debt if starting with advanced skills, and my game doesn't add anything like that.

These are just bonus starting skill dice that can only be allocated to the listed skills. If they choose to allocate dice to any of the advanced skills listed, they just spend the dice like the normal starting skill dice. There could be a significant cost is skill dice because you must have all the prerequisites to even have an advanced skill at 1D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot where i read it but i remember some book or other, saying something about 'training in advanced skills, costs like 8-10k, to learn them (indicating the debt one gets akin to college degrees)...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I forgot where i read it but i remember some book or other, saying something about 'training in advanced skills, costs like 8-10k, to learn them (indicating the debt one gets akin to college degrees)...

That's not in any official WEG material that I can recall. Frankly, WEG's description overstates the difficulty and time required to learn an Advanced Skill; you can get 1D in just a few weeks by spending 6 CP. Taking "years to master" an Advanced Skill is more like getting said (A) Skill up in the 8D or 9D range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why that rule i read, not sure where right now, I WAS liking.. AS IT SHOULD be a good long period, to learn an advance skill.. JUST LIKE it is time consuming to get a degree..
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

PCs that start out owning debts is not much more than a story factor in my game. This isn't the game of Life. Most PCs are outlaws and some may leave mundane legal debts behind when they become an outlaw. Do your PCs still have to make mortgage payments for their houses? Trying to pay mundane debts may actually get them into prison. Debts in the game are to shady loan sharks who don't care if you are an outlaw.

Sure, it might make an interesting background for a PC who borrowed money from a crime lord to go to medical school for some reason, but I would never force PCs to start the campaign with a debt they would have to pay after play begins for a degree they had gotten for their advanced skill. And besides, that limits character concepts. What if the character background is such that they long paid off engineering school before they became a PC (or their wealthy family paid for it)? Would a Retired Imperial Captain still be paying student loans for the naval academy 40 years ago? No, but maybe they have gambling debts that have nothing to do with their education.

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's not in any official WEG material that I can recall. Frankly, WEG's description overstates the difficulty and time required to learn an Advanced Skill; you can get 1D in just a few weeks by spending 6 CP. Taking "years to master" an Advanced Skill is more like getting said (A) Skill up in the 8D or 9D range.
garhkal wrote:
AS IT SHOULD be a good long period, to learn an advance skill.. JUST LIKE it is time consuming to get a degree..

From my tweaked advanced skill rules...

Whill wrote:
Advanced Skills In Character Creation

...Since advanced skills are not based on an attribute, they begin at 1D. (If a player allocates 2D in starting skill dice to an advanced skill, it begins at 2D.) Having learned an advanced skill is probably a significant aspect of a character's background.

Improving Advanced Skills

...A character must train to improve an advanced skill. The GM will determine the training time, and may require teacher. A character with a teacher must spend at least one week training for every Character Point spent to improve the skill. At GM discretion, a character may train without a teacher, and if so the character must spend at least two weeks training for every Character Point spent to improve the skill.

Learning New Advanced Skills

...The GM will determine the teacher requirement and training time necessary.

Notice the at leasts. Learning and improving advanced skills, whether they happened as a part of the PC's background or it happens after play begins, take as long as the GM says they do in my game. It depends on the skill and the circumstances.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: