The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TRoS, The Sequel Trilogy & The Skywalker Saga
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> TRoS, The Sequel Trilogy & The Skywalker Saga Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-shadow-of-the-sith-cover-exclusive-excerpt

Canon publishing is doing a deep dive into TRoS mythology in a new book coming out called Shadow of the Sith. So in 21 ABY, around the time that little girl Rey ends up on Jakku, Luke and Lando hunt Sith cultist Ochi. Luke supposedly goes to Tython, the planet from TM where The Razor Crest was destroyed and Grogu was abducted. While there he meditates on the mountain and is astrally projected to Exegol where he battles Sith spirits (or something) and it assisted by the ghost of Anakin Skywalker.

If Anakin has contact with Luke, why doesn't Anakin just tell Luke to go to his castle on Mustafar and recover his Sith Wayfinder? Then Luke could physically go to Exegol? Why would Anakin withhold that info? Maybe Anakin didn't know what was going on there, but he had to know of its existence since Palpatine had given him a Wayfinder to find it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-shadow-of-the-sith-cover-exclusive-excerpt

Canon publishing is doing a deep dive into TRoS mythology in a new book coming out called Shadow of the Sith. So in 21 ABY, around the time that little girl Rey ends up on Jakku, Luke and Lando hunt Sith cultist Ochi. Luke supposedly goes to Tython, the planet from TM where The Razor Crest was destroyed and Grogu was abducted. While there he meditates on the mountain and is astrally projected to Exegol where he battles Sith spirits (or something) and it assisted by the ghost of Anakin Skywalker.

If Anakin has contact with Luke, why doesn't Anakin just tell Luke to go to his castle on Mustafar and recover his Sith Wayfinder? Then Luke could physically go to Exegol? Why would Anakin withhold that info? Maybe Anakin didn't know what was going on there, but he had to know of its existence since Palpatine had given him a Wayfinder to find it.

Disney should know better than to turn over this rock.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Disney should know better than to turn over this rock.

Agreed. TRoS was such a narrative mess that it tainted the entire sequel trilogy. (I know there were issues that couldn't be helped what with no one wanting to commit to doing the entire trilogy, but who dafuq tries to create a three-part epic without even an outline of the whole thing?)
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
but who dafuq tries to create a three-part epic without even an outline of the whole thing?

Disney. That's who.

Sutehp wrote:
I know there were issues that couldn't be helped what with no one wanting to commit to doing the entire trilogy

They may have gotten someone to take charge of the whole "trilogy" if they have given the search more time. But Disney was on a schedule and Episode VII had to be released in 2015.

Sutehp wrote:
TRoS was such a narrative mess that it tainted the entire sequel trilogy.

TRoS tainted it? Each "episode" did its part. Did you see this video?

Quote:
In trying to make the Disney Trio into "The Antidote Trilogy" they made the "The Anti-Trilogy"

Video: The Star Wars Sequels: Disney's Anti-Trilogy

Quote:
The Force Awakens
Anti-Prequel –> Anti-Lucas –> Anti-Star Wars

The Last Jedi
Anti-Force Awakens / Anti-Nostalgia / Anti-Everything –> Anti-Star Wars

The Rise of Skywalker
Anti-Narrative / Anti-Climactic / Anti-Movie –> Anti-Star Wars

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to admit, but once I got these new movies on BluRay, I watched them only once and never felt the need to watch them again.

Sad for a SW fan.

Confused
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I am sorry to admit, but once I got these new movies on BluRay, I watched them only once and never felt the need to watch them again.

Sad for a SW fan.

Confused

The DT on blu-ray? I still have TFA somewhere (it is my wife's favorite SW movie), but I got rid of TLJ and I never bought TRoS. They are all on Disney+ in 4K anyway.

I address the sadness by looking at all Disney SW films as superfluous. The SW film saga was already complete. Anything more is extra, bonus. Personally, RO and Solo are nice bonuses. The DT is unnecessary (but I do still enjoy TFA to a degree), and I mine all three for anything useful for the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with TROS is... up until then I was still holding out hope for some kind of Hail Mary that would save the trilogy. I'm a weird combination of badly burnt out and ever optimistic. I still think TLJ was the best of the three but I wouldn't call it a good film or one that I enjoy rewatching.

The thing about Star Wars is... what are we gonna do? NOT watch it when it comes out? Disney knows they're free to do a bad job and still turn a profit.

It's funny because it's almost true:
https://i.imgur.com/jbAfqrW.jpeg
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The thing about Star Wars is... what are we gonna do? NOT watch it when it comes out?

That's actually exactly what I did; I refused to watch TRoS, I only watched Mandalorian because I had a free year of Disney+ through my cellular provider (which I have since canceled), and I haven't seen any of BoBF.

I am no longer a consumer of new Disney material. Feel free to join me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
It's funny because it's almost true:
https://i.imgur.com/jbAfqrW.jpeg

Thumbs Up Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
The thing about Star Wars is... what are we gonna do? NOT watch it when it comes out?

That's actually exactly what I did; I refused to watch TRoS, I only watched Mandalorian because I had a free year of Disney+ through my cellular provider (which I have since canceled), and I haven't seen any of BoBF.

I am no longer a consumer of new Disney material. Feel free to join me.

Nah. I'm a theater nerd. And a history nerd. I have to track the history of my favorite magic lantern show.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The thing with TROS is... up until then I was still holding out hope for some kind of Hail Mary that would save the trilogy.

When I entered the theater to see TRoS, I was also holding out hope that it would be able to rescue the trilogy...then I saw the Millenium Falcon hyperspace skipping to half a dozen different planets in the space of less than a minute as if it was the easiest thing in the world and my heart sank.

The movie only went downhill from there.

For the first time in my life since walking out of the theater during The Nightmare Before Christmas, I considered walking out of TRoS. I didn't because, y'know, Star Wars. But I never bothered to get TRoS on Blu-ray or DVD, a first for a Star Wars movie for me. Even after subscribing to Disney+ I haven't bothered to watch TRoS ever again.

Whill, I watched that video you linked. I had seen it before but didn't remember it until I saw the part about TRoS making more sense if you look at its sequence of events backwards. Perhaps I should have said TRoS further tainted the entire trilogy. But for my part, while TFA and TLJ had their flaws, I don't think either of them was nearly as bad as TRoS, hence why I said TRoS tainted the trilogy. I hope that explains my thinking.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into TRoS, I also still held on to hope that Abrams would tie the three films together and these three into the Lucas saga. Not only did he fail to do that, but he went far away from doing that.

My main objection before was that it isn't really even a 'trilogy, "and that sad fact is not completely the fault of TRoS. The DT is a set of three somewhat related movies.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Going into TRoS, I also still held on to hope that Abrams would tie the three films together and these three into the Lucas saga. Not only did he fail to do that, but he went far away from doing that.

My main objection before was that it isn't really even a 'trilogy, "and that sad fact is not completely the fault of TRoS. The DT is a set of three somewhat related movies.

You're right about that, Whill. For my part, I think TFA and TLJ are more somewhat related to each other than either or both are related to TRoS. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it bears repeating: After a friend of mine saw TRoS, he said it was "the best third-parter to a trilogy [he] hadn't seen." I agree.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Yes! I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s when Star Wars was a purely joyous thing to talk about (other than a VERY few older guys who REALLY hated Ewoks—but I love them). That’s why I keep my head there.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

You're right about that, Whill. For my part, I think TFA and TLJ are more somewhat related to each other than either or both are related to TRoS. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it bears repeating: After a friend of mine saw TRoS, he said it was "the best third-parter to a trilogy [he] hadn't seen." I agree.

Yeah. I feel like the 9 films are one episode apiece from the three trilogies of 9 different dimensions.

It's like if Archeologist someday only had Rankin Bass' Hobbit, the actual Fellowship of the Ring book by Tolkien, the Peter Jackson Two Towers, and a kid's picture book version of The Return of the King.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: