The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: New John Williams Theme for Kenobi Reply with quote

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/john-williams-obi-wan-kenobi-theme-star-wars-series-1235185228/

John Williams will compose the main theme of the coming Disney Plus series. No doubt it will be related to The Force theme, which was the original theme for the Kenobi character. It was really great that he created a proper theme for Han Solo for the Solo film, and he is still "not done yet" bringing Star Wars full circle to the original film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always optimistic about any new Star Wars thing that comes out. You'd think I'd learn. But I think Ewan McGregor has the acting ability to hold the show together and make it fun to watch even if it's dumb.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm always optimistic about any new Star Wars thing that comes out. You'd think I'd learn. But I think Ewan McGregor has the acting ability to hold the show together and make it fun to watch even if it's dumb.

The show will be 7 episodes: 3 will be flashbacks (just scenes of Ep. 1-3), 2 will be about the Mandalorian who saved Din, and "Baby Din", and 2 will be about the series plot. Darth Maul will show up at the end of the 6th episode, only to be killed in the 7th.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
The show will be 7 episodes: 3 will be flashbacks (just scenes of Ep. 1-3), 2 will be about the Mandalorian who saved Din, and "Baby Din", and 2 will be about the series plot. Darth Maul will show up at the end of the 6th episode, only to be killed in the 7th.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

It's going to have lots of flash-forwards too! To his time as a Force-Ghost in the Sequel Trilogy era.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
ThrorII wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

It's going to have lots of flash-forwards too! To his time as a Force-Ghost in the Sequel Trilogy era.

And in one episode, a cgi-animated bantha will crawl up his nose, and he'll halucinate that he himself was an animated cgi character during the Clone Wars....that episode will be titled "The High Ground"........
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show should have very limited or very subtle Force use by Kenobi. Otherwise, he would put in jeopardy his and young Skywalker future.
We all know what happened after Cal Kestis used the Force to save his friend in the very beginning...
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

We all know what happened after Cal Kestis used the Force to save his friend in the very beginning...

I certainly don't. I don't even know who that is.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

I certainly don't. I don't even know who that is.

It's the player character from a video game set a few years into the Empire. My son has the game and has played through it a few times. Cal Kestis is a padawan who survived Order 66 and hid among normal people by not using the Force. Once he had to use the Force to save his friend, he began to be hunted by Inquisitors.

Darklighter79 wrote:
This show should have very limited or very subtle Force use by Kenobi. Otherwise, he would put in jeopardy his and young Skywalker future.

Not necessarily. They have already revealed that Vader and Obi-Wan will have a rematch. It would not make sense for this to take place on Tatooine, because then Vader would wonder why he was there. The plot could give Obi-Wan a reason to leave Tatooine temporarily. He could then be discovered, with Vader eventually hunting him down and confronting him. Then Obi-Wan could escape and return to Tatooine without anyone knowing he did.

Quote:
VADER: He is here.
TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi? What makes you think so?
VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.
TARKIN: Surely he must be dead

RotS didn't give us any reason for Tarkin to think that Obi-Wan must "surely" be dead. Perhaps this series will.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
They have already revealed that Vader and Obi-Wan will have a rematch

So now again we gonna have "from a certain point of view" interpretation of their dialogue in Ep. IV.
This makes whole "when I left you I was but the learner" - obsolete, as this dialogue should be like "my powers have doubled, tripled, quadrupled* since our last** fight"
*, ** - depending on number of seasons and rematches of fights, rematches of rematches, etc.

Whill wrote:
RotS didn't give us any reason for Tarkin to think that Obi-Wan must "surely" be dead. Perhaps this series will.

Tarkin used to have many unsupported theories like:
Quote:
The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.

How accurate they were...well, we all know. My guess is: no trace of any Jedi were reported for many years so he assumed that they are all gone.
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

Trailer just dropped Surprised
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes We've had this conversation before...

Darklighter79 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Tarkin used to have many unsupported theories like:
Quote:
The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.

How accurate they were...well, we all know. My guess is: no trace of any Jedi were reported for many years so he assumed that they are all gone.

That could still be the case, and that doesn't at all invalidate that perhaps this series will add meaning to Tarkin's statement.

Darklighter79 wrote:
This makes whole "when I left you I was but the learner" - obsolete, as this dialogue should be like "my powers have doubled, tripled, quadrupled* since our last** fight"
*, ** - depending on number of seasons and rematches of fights, rematches of rematches, etc.

The italicized above is a nonsensical statement with respect to franchise continuity. The dialogue of ANH is not going to be changed now. And I'm pretty sure this will be the only new rematch between RotS and ANH.

The original meaning of "I was but the learner" is a more literal one based on the premise that Anakin and Vader are two separate characters. Anakin was a full-fledged Jedi Knight and friend to Obi-Wan. Vader was Obi-Wan's student, a "learner" until he turned to evil. This was retconned by TESB and RotJ which explained they were the same person. Now Anakin had been a student of Obi-Wan's, and then (not long after becoming a Knight) he betrayed the Jedi.

So since 1983, that ANH Vader quote was already not literally true. What else could it mean? Maybe Vader could be just acknowledging that Obi-Wan's superior skill made Vader seem like a "learner" in comparison. That's what my kid brain came up with 39 years ago, and then RotS only reinforced that in 2005.

In this show, Obi-Wan could "take Vader to school," again.

Whill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Not necessarily. They have already revealed that Vader and Obi-Wan will have a rematch. It would not make sense for this to take place on Tatooine, because then Vader would wonder why he was there. The plot could give Obi-Wan a reason to leave Tatooine temporarily. He could then be discovered, with Vader eventually hunting him down and confronting him. Then On-Wan could escape and return to Tatooine without anyone knowing he did.

I wasn't even disputing you. I only said, not necessarily. Now I do think it is much more realistic that they are going to contrive reasons for Obi-Wan to use the Force in this series, and I gave one possible scenario of how they could do it without him putting Luke in danger. We'll see.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarossa41 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

Trailer just dropped Surprised

Thank you! I was just about to share this.

I hope I will feel differently when I see the series, but now it feels like pure fan service to put the Rebels Inquisitor character in there (cartoon fan service). I say that because, we already have so many film characters who we know can't die to maintain future continuity, so why add another villain that can't die. Hopefully Kenobi gets to kill another inquisitor along the way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get excited about any Disney production, but the trailer does raise some intriguing possibilities. How does a Jedi stay hidden in a galaxy filled with injustice, when fighting against that injustice will also reveal their presence to the Inquisition?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending an inquisitor ( or inquisitors) against one of the most powerful Jedi is not a wise decision. My guess is the hunter will stumble upon Jedi Master by accident. Obviously the pride, fueled by the Dark Side, will create a very false feeling of superiority. Then, this death rate will draw Vader's attention...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: