The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Take your time with your recovery! I am asking so many questions because I will be using a heavy repeater to repel of boarding action in an upcoming game, so will have a chance to use your rules very soon and wanted to be clear on them.

In a boarding action, it would absolutely be appropriate for a single burst to be effective against multiple targets, particularly in the tightly-packed corridors of a starship where they're physically unable to disperse. That's where assault troops have to go the other direction and emphasize tanking defensive firepower.

I've posted my thoughts on treating starfighters as "dispersed architecture" individuals for stat purposes, with the option of having various formations that emphasize different kinds of defense. The same could be applied similarly here, in that Auto-Fire dice could be applied to an infantry unit if they're operating in close formation (which will generally only occur if the circumstances force them to, such as in tightly-packed starship quarters or through some sort of terrain choke-point).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof... I tried to read your rules, but the link to the finished rules leaves out a few concepts that are new/not in the RAW, so it looks like I need to read the entire thread (such as the scale and unit strength, losing dice,etc.). I do want to understand it better though because my games involve lots of large scale action in space, ship boarding, and land battles, so I cannot bother with individuals. I would rather roll it out to determine how the different squads do rather than do the *sensible* thing and just run it abstractly as the GM. After all, I am running my games largely as tactical battles with roleplaying between battles...

Does it help to just read through the entire thread?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. What it boils down to is a system to treat a group as a single individual, like how an insect swarm is treated as a single attacker with special rules for how a swarm would attack. While the rule is written specifically for treating starfighter squadrons like small capital ships for combat purposes, there's a lot of potential overlap for infantry squads or platoons.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
There are four different steps of Auto-Fire:
    1D (equivalent to the Short Burst option for some modern military rifles).
    2D (equivalent to fully automatic weapons)
    3D (equivalent to very high rate-of-fire weapons such as gatling guns)
    4D (equivalent to continuous-stream weapons such as flamethrowers, beamers, chem sprayers, etc).
The Auto-Fire is applied to every "shot" fired by the weapon, and is treated as a Dice Pool that is split between Damage (subject to the Scatter Rule) and Attack rolls.

In addition, because 2D, 3D and 4D are fully automatic, they have the option of a Long Burst that adds 1D to the Auto-Fire Dice, but must be the only attack made by the weapon that round. Plus, 4D weapons firing a Full Round Burst may take advantage of the Sustained Fire Rule.

Finally, because ammo is finite and interchangeable at Character-Scale, I use the following formula to convert from one weapon to another (as would be the case if one were to siphon blaster gas from the ammo drum of a light repeating blaster to recharge the power pack for their blaster pistol):
    1D = 4 rounds
    2D = 20 rounds
    3D = 100 rounds
    4D = 500 rounds
This is further modified by the difference in damage, multiplying or dividing by 2 for ever 1D shift up or down. For example, a Light Repeating Blaster (5D Damage) with a 20-shot ammo drum being siphoned to recharge a Blaster Pistol (4D Damage) could provide up to 400 rounds.

Thanks for the revisions to this rules post. I love how simple and straight forward this rule is. Best version of auto-fire yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players encountered a heavy repeating blaster at the other side of a long corridor in our game session last night. I warned them that repeaters were very rapid fire and deadly and that I was using a new auto-fire house rule, but they were still thinking of the original RAW rules - one hit = 8D damage to one target. They thought they could just rush with enough troops and overwhelm the gun quickly.

They were very wrong.

After the first few squads were mowed down, they realized they had to think... taking shelter and advancing like trench warfare, using cargo loaders loaded with crates to create moving cover, programming droids to close and lock blast doors... it was great!

I did also use my own working draft for squads acting as single characters as well. It is a combination of the modified Coordination bonus (+1D every time the number doubles), CRMcNeill's damage table from starfighter squadrons as individual ships, and my own adjustments. His rules are still in draft form and I have hang-ups with the current draft for character scale squads, but I will being doing more plastering in my sessions.

So, the Auto-fire house rule actually gives repeaters the terrifying rapid fire effect they should instead of a flat high damage code from the RAW.

EDIT: I meant to say I would be doing more PLAYTESTING not plastering, but the auto correct is strangely appropriate as well!

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Happy to hear it worked out well. In my view there is still a place for single-blast laser cannon (ala the deck rail cannon in RotJ), where their advantage over repeaters is in peak damage and range. Might be another wrinkle to throw at your PCs in the future; a heavy repeating blaster side-by-side with a crew-served, tripod mounted light laser cannon.

I'd very much like to hear your ideas about the squad rules in that topic, as I'm at something of a dead end at the moment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: