The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:
I need your opinion on something. I'm looking at the RPGGamer.org site. I have to admit that it has a large selection of stats from many SW works. When it comes to these stats, I take their "canonicity" in the following order:

WEG works
Conversions from WOTC (OCRB and RCRB)
Conversions from WOTC (Saga)
Conversions from FFG
Home-brew stats from this site
Home-brew stats from the defunct SWRPGNetwork - what few that can be salvaged
Home-brew stats from RPGGamer.org

That's a very helpful list. Where do your own homebrew stats come in? This site? My personal stat source primacy list is much shorter:

1. My homebrew stats
2. All WEG, converted, and other homebrew stats

There is a lot of caveat with that though. I have to agree with your primacy of WEG and the three conversions having an influence on me, but homebrew of various sources could be all over the place among them depending on what it is. As far as technology stats (such as ships, vehicles, and weapons), I follow CRMcNeill's lead over WEG and other sources about 97% of the time, although I do not necessarily use all of his house rules that go along with the tech (I do use his scale system). Some other users are a bigger influence than others, but outside of tech I trust myself over all other sources. I'm not a noob; I've been modifying stats for this game this since 1988 or '89. If I had to I could do a decent job on the tech too but I trust CRMcNeill enough to save time and just use his work.

Quote:
Question: Should I incorporate into my Force Compendium any of the powers that I might find on that site that I think would be a good fit. I admit that one or two of what I've created have been featured on that website under different names. For that matter, am I permitted to do this? Don't want to deal with copyright issues. At the very least, there's an entry or two from that listing that have given me some ideas for new powers.

If you feel powers from other sources add something to the body of your work then go for it. As far as permission, I would have to say that no homebrew author can truly claim ownership over Star Wars fan works, and if they are shared publicly then I don't see how they can really complain if someone takes something from them and repackages it. However, it is an expected courtesy to always give credit where credit is due, and if there is any doubt ask the fan author for permission to use it. In my experience they are always fine with it as long as they get credit, so in other words if you are not trying to pass off their work as yours. I have no doubt you would properly credit all sources.

Well, if you look at the list and consider the conversions have been made into pdfs that are available on this site, then this site occupies #2-5 on the list.

I looked at the Force powers on the other site. Some seem ridiculous in my opinion. Others seem to be duplicates of what's been presented on this site. Force jump for example. Yet the quality of them on RPGGamer seems to be less \than on this site. I try to make my conversions and homebrew powers to match the quality of what's presented on this site. So I take the descriptions on this site and in my work over the ones on RPGGamer.

Some I think I have already incorporated into my work, but under a different name. For example, Force Bellow on the RPGGamer site has been incorporated into the Amplify Voice power in my work.

Right now, the ones that get my attention are the Force skills Focus and Invert, and the powers that are listed in those skills. I need to study them more before making a decision, but Invert seems too unbalancing at the moment.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altobanor wrote:
I re-created the "Star Wars Rules Upgrade" insert (it looks almost identical) and was looking for a place to share it.

I've uploaded this in the Library. Thanks, again.

I also finally shared the Prospective Trading by Tech Level document by atgxtg as edited by Raven Redstar. Instead of adding it to another document I just added it as its own document.

Enjoy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the two new Force skills listed on the RPGGamer site - Focus and Invert. One of the critical factors I use to decide whether or not to include them in my work is their canonicity. I accept Canon or EU/Legends. If it's a no, then forget it. Anyway, the site says Focus isn't canon, but Invert is. Does anyone here know of any examples of Invert in Star Wars, either Canon or Legends? It would help.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I'm looking at the two new Force skills listed on the RPGGamer site - Focus and Invert. One of the critical factors I use to decide whether or not to include them in my work is their canonicity. I accept Canon or EU/Legends. If it's a no, then forget it. Anyway, the site says Focus isn't canon, but Invert is. Does anyone here know of any examples of Invert in Star Wars, either Canon or Legends? It would help.

When trying to read about Invert, I started getting sleepy. But I'm guessing that he thinks that appeared in TRoS (and thus canon).

However, we don't have to guess. You can actually ask him directly: https://rpggamer.org/main.php?page=mailmewhite.html
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to send a message at the link, but my browser says the form isn't secure and won't send it. I'll try the Facebook link instead.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing with that form too. Bummer. Hopefully he will respond by Facebook.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did. He said I needed to contact the guy who made the powers directly. I left a comment on the site. Hopefully the author will get back to me.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in touch with him, and I don't need to worry about Invert any more.

As I understand it, the current High Republic novels and comics are a part of Phase I, as the higher ups of Star Wars are calling it. I know that Phase II will being in October. Don't know if there are more phases coming up, but at the moment that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that I'm planning to make an update available before Phase 2 begins. September at the latest. Would still like to have the option of having different colored texts and backgrounds, like I mentioned in a previous post, but that's not a priority for me. What is a priority is looking through the novels and comics before October to discern any new powers to add. I have incorporated one of two powers that I should have added in the last update. I've come up with one to describe what Luke did to Grogu in the latest episode of Boba Fett. I have come up with a number of other powers that were inspired by RPGGamer.org. Here's my main question for the moment: the Ones - the Father, the Son, and the Daughter - used powers that were unique to them. Should I incorporate those powers into the sections I've already listed? Or should I make a completely separate section for them, like I did with the Baran Do and Matukai for example.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Rules Upgrade Reply with quote

Altobanor wrote:
Thank you! Acrobat Pro can be your friend! lol (... and a little art skill)

Brian

P.S. If you find any typos (Mostly the Dice notations were the worst... ex. "3D") let me know. I can make quick adjustments.

I found that the Starship Damage section on p.3 has the 1D rendered as "1 D".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fan Editions Reply with quote

Quote:
Fan Editions

NEW --> Jedi Companion (D6 Legend)

Star Wars D6 Rules Essential [core/google doc]

HyperspaceD6 [core/google doc]

UPDATED --> Star Wars RPG "3rd Edition" (core)

UPDATED --> Tion Cluster Source Book (3rd Edition)

CoreSec Guide (3rd Edition)

NEW --> Starship Expansion (3rd Edition)

https://rancorpit.com/forums/downloads/index.html#:~:text=.-,Fan%20Editions

I added a couple new documents to this section, and added updated versions for a couple others. All files were renamed due to being moved to a dedicated folder, and the Library has the updated URLs.

The new top document is not really a full game. It is more of a proof of concept for adapting Star Wars to the D6 variant known as D6 Legend, the success-based rules WEG used for only two published games. It focuses on playing Jedi characters. D6 Legend is not my cup of tea but others may be interested in it.

I found a fourth "3rd Edition" supplement I didn't know about so added it, and I saw that there were updated versions of the core book and one of the other supplements so I added the updated versions. I saw on LegendaryExGamer's blog that after 25 revisions to his "3rd Edition" he is currently working on a "4th Edition". His blog has a "sampler" PDF.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Altobanor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rules Upgrade Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Thanks! I updated the document. Let me know if you have any issues getting the new version. It's in the same place.

Brian
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules Upgrade Reply with quote

Altobanor wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks! I updated the document. Let me know if you have any issues getting the new version. It's in the same place.

Brian

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xjD1YOe0WRHpGkr-4w1ZVOpLL3FImEAu

Is this the right place? I cleared my cache and the document still has the big space in between the 1 and D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to some feedback, I updated the Library to tie it into the forum a bit more, including the addition of a link back to this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The new top document is not really a full game. It is more of a proof of concept for adapting Star Wars to the D6 variant known as D6 Legend, the success-based rules WEG used for only two published games. It focuses on playing Jedi characters. D6 Legend is not my cup of tea but others may be interested in it.

In my house rules version of d6, I am fully integrating the legend type mechanic of "success" dice - it still 100% supports the "additive" method in the "normal" version, but the primary focus is around success dice.

I have to say, after some playtesting - my players actually prefer the success dice method (actually, mythic d6 took it an evolved it a bit more - so more compatible with additive systems).

When I get it further along (still doing a lot of editing) I will happily provide it to the community. It also incorporates MANY other house rules based upon some of amazing work here on the pit.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
In my house rules version of d6, I am fully integrating the legend type mechanic of "success" dice - it still 100% supports the "additive" method in the "normal" version, but the primary focus is around success dice.

I have to say, after some playtesting - my players actually prefer the success dice method (actually, mythic d6 took it an evolved it a bit more - so more compatible with additive systems).

When I get it further along (still doing a lot of editing) I will happily provide it to the community. It also incorporates MANY other house rules based upon some of amazing work here on the pit.

Glad I could help you in whatever small ways I have. I've only played D6 Legend a couple times in my life and it has been a long time (the DC superheroes game and Hercules & Xena). I have those two games. I also have Mythic D6 but mostly out of loyalty to my friend, game designer Jerry Grayson. I've never played that. Another friend of mine is a big D6 Legend advocate. I've always felt you lose too much nuance with it, and I've never had a player group that didn't like adding up the dice results of standard D6.

I'm still interested in seeing the end result of your success-based Star Wars game when you are done with it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: