The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I’m pretty sure that now in canon the Sand People’s Cycler is a slug thrower. I always viewed it as a Laser Rifle with a slow recharge rate hence cycler. Thoughts?

I always assumed they were slug throwers. For that matter, I thought Luke's rifle on Tatooine in ANH was a slug thrower.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuskens are probably as culturally diverse as "Native Americans", a term so broad (in terms of languages and cultures) as to be almost meaningless.

I got the impression the hover train could sorta seek them out. And was a clear reference to 19th century people shooting American Bison from trains, for the fun of it and to mess with the plains indians food supply on purpose.

Any new things directors want to throw in can be ascribed to them being different tribes or whatever.

As a reenactor of a few centuries, a modern t-shirt and shorts are hotter than head to toe wool in summer. Clinglily knit, half-plastic, non-absorbent, fabric of modern clothes is awful in summer. Give me a 100% linen undershirt with a wool joacket, and long sleeves and collar to keep the sun and bugs off me, any day.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I could think of with the latest episode...
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a topography issue:

Beggars Canyon was close to Mos Espa as it was shown in TMP race scene.
But here it seems that Mos Eisley replaced Mos Espa - same shots as during the race sequence.

And Mos Espa and Mos Eisley are not close to each other:
Quote:
WATTO
Long way from here... someplace
over on the other side of Mos
Eisley, I think...

I am so happy that X-Wing sensors prove to have such a great range Laughing

Lots of fan service and...borrowed things from other sci-fi classics but then again there's seems to be a little conflict "Too big to be a space station!"
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was wizard that Mando described flying the N-1 as wizard.

...on the other hand...

Instead of saying the Falcon was a YT-1300, in 2015 A First Order officer identified the class as a Corellian "YT model" freighter. There are a lot of YT models so you'll have to be more specific, sir. We lost the numbers for no good reason.

Today, Disney revealed that the Razor Crest was a "Razor Crest" model. So Mando named his ship after the model name. We are witnessing the dumbing down of Star Wars fandom. Maybe Disney really is renaming Slave I as Firespray.

Excuse me, I must go walk my dog Dog.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Disney Star Wars am I right? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I thought it was wizard that Mando described flying the N-1 as wizard.

...on the other hand...

Instead of saying the Falcon was a YT-1300, in 2015 A First Order officer identified the class as a Corellian "YT model" freighter. There are a lot of YT models so you'll have to be more specific, sir. We lost the numbers for no good reason.

Today, Disney revealed that the Razor Crest was a "Razor Crest" model. So Mando named his ship after the model name. We are witnessing the dumbing down of Star Wars fandom. Maybe Disney really is renaming Slave I as Firespray.

I agree. I think when Boba said "firespray gunship" he was talking about the model of the ship and not the name of the ship because everybody knows the name of Boba's ship is "Slave One" right? I guess Disney doesn't want the word "slave" in any of their media so they thought "firespray gunship" is what Boba Fett would call his ship rather than it's actual name. Who knows anymore with Disney being all mickey mouse friendly.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad that the best episode (IMHO) of "The Book of Boba Fett" didn't have Boba Fett...

Honestly, this episode blew my socks off!!!! Lots of good fan service.

1. Ringworld was a cool looking place!!
2. Lightsabers are just as deadly to the user if you don't know what you're doing.
3. Mando is as kick-@$$ as I hoped Boba was going to be.
4. Peli Moto 'dated' a Jawa......ewwww!?!?*
5. Naboo Star Fighter!!!!!!!!!
6. Death Star trash pole!!!!!
7. Beggar's Canyon and Womp Rats!!
8. The Pod Race track!!
9. Is Grogu getting the tail gunner seat?**

*So, if I recall, in the EU, Jawas were described as 'insectoid', and Peli says they're 'hairy'. Reminds me of a bipedal tarantula......not exactly boyfriend material.....

**The N-1, like the X-wing, needed an R2 unit for astrogation, as they didn't have nav-computers. How is Mando's ship going to work without an R2 unit?
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
We are witnessing the dumbing down of Star Wars fandom.

Sisyphean work. Twisted Evil

Ray wrote:
All I could think of with the latest episode...

- She's the last of N1! She sucks coaxium!
- He's in the coma, BD!

ThrorII wrote:
How is Mando's ship going to work without an R2 unit?

Like A-Wing - nav comp.

ThrorII wrote:
Death Star trash pole!!!!!

That's no pole....that a cryogenic density combustion booster!!! Turn the ship around...Wink

By the way - it's nice to see how weapons are being transported on civilian flights. My guess is when Pikes arrived to Tatooine in previous episode such transport would be like troop carrier on sensor readings. Wink
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fandom is as dumbed down or sophisticated as you choose to make it.

Worst episode of the BOBF yet but not a bad episode of TM. Just, I didn't wanna watch TM, I wanted to watch the next episode of TBOBF, for which I guess I have to wait another week.

I really like that the galaxy is roughly half female characters now. When I was a kid I collected a lot of the Leia figures that my brother didn't (he largely couldn't be bothered with anything but robots, or humans dressed like robots) and even back then it annoyed me that I couldn't buy a Mon Mothma, Toryn Farr (though she didn't have a name yet), etc. Now, Fennec Shand, Jerri Blank, and The Armorer were virtually the only people Mando talked to this episode. It's a lot different from the 80's, and this is proving crucial to keeping my daughter interested in Star Wars.

I love how much use they're getting out of the old Star Tours Captain Rex droids. I wonder if Disney even had a ton of them in storage from the rides that Filoni et al are using as props. First they are running gambling games, now they're back to booking space travel. Awesome. \m/
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:

I hope not. I hope it goes to Teek, or an ewok.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now it’s evident if you missed your Lightsaber roll by 10 then you get wounded. Personally I hated that rule. I just house rule that if you have the skill-it doesn’t apply though a fumble could still act the same way. Now if you DON’T have the Lightsaber skill well then the rule is in effect.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Well now it’s evident if you missed your Lightsaber roll by 10 then you get wounded. Personally I hated that rule. I just house rule that if you have the skill-it doesn’t apply though a fumble could still act the same way. Now if you DON’T have the Lightsaber skill well then the rule is in effect.

These new tv shows (and Rogue One) seem to be set more firmly in a WEG version of the SWU than anything else out there. The OT obviously doesn't count due to real-world chronology Wink
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me but when did lightsabers suddenly get so heavy that they are unwieldy? That the opposite of how they've been portrayed since well forever.

Also Mando is going to use a starfighter as his personal ride?
"Lol ok newb. Well since your not a hibernation capable jedi let me know how that works out on day two in hyperspace and you need to use the head."
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderFocs wrote:
Whill wrote:

Today, Disney revealed that the Razor Crest was a "Razor Crest" model. So Mando named his ship after the model name. We are witnessing the dumbing down of Star Wars fandom. Maybe Disney really is renaming Slave I as Firespray. If so, that is stupid.

I agree. I think when Boba said "firespray gunship" he was talking about the model of the ship and not the name of the ship because everybody knows the name of Boba's ship is "Slave One" right? I guess Disney doesn't want the word "slave" in any of their media so they thought "firespray gunship" is what Boba Fett would call his ship rather than it's actual name. Who knows

I think you're right. I think Boba said, "my Firespray gunship" which wasn't an incorrect thing to say, but it is also true that they haven't said "Slave I" in TBoBF yet. When people got in an uproar about the latest Slave I Lego set being called "Boba Fett's Starship," I defended it by saying that that didn't mean the ship was being renamed in canon. It was just for a toy. But I guess a comic book came out a few months ago that called the ship "Firespray", so maybe they really are in the process of officially renaming it.

It really only makes sense for a ship to be named after the model if it is the very first ship manufactured in the model. Maybe Mando's ship was the first one of its kind, but. they didn't say. But even if Slave I was the first Firespray, it still wouldn't make sense to rename the ship now after over 40 years.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
We are witnessing the dumbing down of Star Wars fandom.

This fandom is as dumbed down or sophisticated as you choose to make it.

You missed the point. I was referring to the producer dumbing down the product for fandom (which affects average members of fandom and thus fandom as a whole). Individual end users have no control over the lack of intelligence in products available to them. Individual fans have almost no influence over fandom as a whole. I have very slightly more influence over fandom than your average fan, but it is still only a drop in the ocean of fandom. I cannot simply choose for fandom as a whole to be more "sophisticated" when Disney is dumbing the franchise down. I can only choose for myself to be more sophisticated than Disney, and pass on my knowledge and wisdom to the relatively few who listen.

Case in point: I own a lot of Star Wars resource books. Probably almost all of them ever published, both Legends and Disney Canon. It is not even debatable that there has been a severe reduction in "adult" reading level works under Disney (which may really be only 7th grade reading level). There has been a very obviously intentional marketing shift toward younger reader material, which are shorter books with larger print, and thus actually providing significantly less information and at a lower comprehension level.

This is not meant to be a Disney Bash. Disney Star Wars is still making some great things I really like. But these are facts of the state of the franchise. Your average fan is going to walk away thinking that it is normal for ships to be named after their classes, and wonder where all of the other "Millennium Falcons" are in Star Wars. (Typing "Falcons" plural just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.) Disney is the entity that has the choice over the franchise being dumbed down. We are only expecting it to be just as "sophisticated" as before. Not less. It was already established that the Falcon is a YT-1300. There was no good reason to remove the numbers and call it "YT model" in TFA. It would be stupid to change the name of Boba's ship to match the class name, especially over 40 years later. There was no good reason to make the class of Mando's ship match the specific ship's name unless they are going to establish that it was the first ship of its class at the same time, but they didn't.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Honestly, this episode blew my socks off!!!! Lots of good fan service.
3. Mando is as kick-@$$ as I hoped Boba was going to be.
5. Naboo Star Fighter!!!!!!!!!
6. Death Star trash pole!!!!!
7. Beggar's Canyon and Womp Rats!!
8. The Pod Race track!!

Wizard!

ThrorII wrote:
Ringworld was a cool looking place!!

I know! It is like they realized a vision for SW straight out of my brain, again. I wish we could have seen more of it.

ThrorII wrote:
Peli Moto 'dated' a Jawa......ewwww!?!?*
*So, if I recall, in the EU, Jawas were described as 'insectoid', and Peli says they're 'hairy'. Reminds me of a bipedal tarantula......not exactly boyfriend material.....

Mammals are hairy too. IIRC I've never read Jawas described as insectoid. Legends or canon has never definitively established Jawa biology but they have been speculated as rodent like. The fact that a human had a relationship with a Jawa suggests it is even more likely they are mammals.

Her former Jawa relationship was played for laughs (like her speaking their language), but maybe interspecies relationships wouldn't be that uncommon in SW. Maybe she used him to get parts. What has been established by both canons are that Jawas smell pungent. Maybe she has no sense of smell!

Darklighter79 wrote:
By the way - it's nice to see how weapons are being transported on civilian flights.

That's how I always envisioned that going back to at least Riders of the Maelstrom. But it really strained my disbelief suspension that he was allowed to keep his armor. I can see most commercial flights not caring if battle armor was a part of someone's religion or not. In my SWU, PCs can't get away with wearing armor everywhere because it sensibly shouldn't be allowed everywhere.

ThrorII wrote:
It is sad that the best episode (IMHO) of "The Book of Boba Fett" didn't have Boba Fett...
TauntaunScout wrote:
Worst episode of the BOBF yet but not a bad episode of TM. Just, I didn't wanna watch TM, I wanted to watch the next episode of TBOBF, for which I guess I have to wait another week.

They are applying some winning Marvel Studios practices and treating each Disney+ TV season like an MCU movie. This already proved successful for Netflix Marvel shows. These TM-timeframe shows (TM, TBoBF, Ahsoka, and whatever else) are a SW sub-franchise, and each show is a sub-sub-franchise. The shows are intertwined so characters crossover. TM introduced Boba Fett and Fennec Shand, and now TBoBF advances Mando's story.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I really like that the galaxy is roughly half female characters now. When I was a kid I collected a lot of the Leia figures that my brother didn't (he largely couldn't be bothered with anything but robots, or humans dressed like robots) and even back then it annoyed me that I couldn't buy a Mon Mothma, Toryn Farr (though she didn't have a name yet), etc. Now, Fennec Shand, Jerri Blank, and The Armorer were virtually the only people Mando talked to this episode. It's a lot different from the 80's, and this is proving crucial to keeping my daughter interested in Star Wars.

I also celebrate this aspect. I really enjoy the characters of the Armorer and Peli Motto. (By the way, I think I forgot to mention for an earlier episode that Peli Motto did actually make a cameo in the background of Boba flashback.) I like that there are more female characters in SW now.

TauntaunScout wrote:
These new tv shows (and Rogue One) seem to be set more firmly in a WEG version of the SWU than anything else out there.

I feel there is some truth to that.

ThrorII wrote:
Lightsabers are just as deadly to the user if you don't know what you're doing.

Yes. As it should be!

Ninja-Bear wrote:

I don't totally hate that rule but I went in a similar direction. I made lightsaber an advanced skill. Characters without the (A) lightsaber could use the melee skill for melee attacks, but that includes the danger of hurting yourself if you roll low enough. Having the lightsaber skill eliminates that added danger from a low roll.

The Brain wrote:
Excuse me but when did lightsabers suddenly get so heavy that they are unwieldy? That the opposite of how they've been portrayed since well forever.

It's a darksaber, not a lightsaber. Wink But kinda yeah. It's actually the darksaber, a one-of-a kind weapon. And I got the impression that it only felt heavier to him because he wasn't using it right and his arms became fatigued.

Darklighter79 wrote:
ThrorII wrote:
Is Grogu getting the tail gunner seat?**
**The N-1, like the X-wing, needed an R2 unit for astrogation, as they didn't have nav-computers. How is Mando's ship going to work without an R2 unit?

Like A-Wing - nav comp.

Sure, they could have installed a nav computer. Did they establish that the the droid socket bubble is for a little gunner? If so I missed that. A huge problem with Mando having a fighter is, where is he going to put captured quarries? I once had a bounty hunter antagonist in a campaign who flew a modified two-seat Y-wing where the gunner station was converted to a mini-brig. I wondered if the N-1's droid socket would be a place to stuff a (small enough) target.

TauntaunScout wrote:
ThrorII wrote:

I hope not. I hope it goes to Teek, or an ewok.

An Ewok gunner would be awesome!

The Brain wrote:
Also Mando is going to use a starfighter as his personal ride?
"Lol ok newb. Well since your not a hibernation capable jedi let me know how that works out on day two in hyperspace and you need to use the head."

And here I was concerned about where Mando is going to put his quarries, not his dookies. How do non-Jedi pilots do it? I have to believe that SW could easily have nutrition drinks that include safe hunger suppression, so there is only liquid waste. Flight suits and Mandalorian armor could have built-in tech to process liquid waste. This is sci-fi so I am happy just assuming there is ways to deal with this offscreen without bothering with details.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: