The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Stats for Fractalsponge Projects
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> D6 Stats for Fractalsponge Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigas-Class Landing Barge

Images

The Gigas-Class is the Imperial Navy's primary medium-duty combat landing barges. While larger ships like the Y-85 Titan and Chi-Class Heavy Landing Craft are in service, the Gigas is just barely able to be carried and launched from an Imperator-Class Star Destroyer. While it has roughly the same cargo capacity as Incom's civilian X-23 Space Barge, the Gigas is larger and more heavily armed and armored, equipped with combat shields and multiple laser that allow the barge to both defend itself and provide a degree of fire support during troop landings. When not in use in combat, the Gigas is also used as an intra-fleet transport, cross-decking supplies, passengers and other equipment between ships as needed.

Craft: Incom's Y-8 Gigas-Class
Type: Combat Landing Barge
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 54 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: Gigas-Class
Crew: 7 (3 @ +10) & 3 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Piloting 3D+2
Gunnery 3D
Transport Capacity:
-5,000 metric tons or...
-1,000 passengers or...
-1 AT-AT or similar vehicle or...
-Multiple smaller vehicles (depending on dimensions).
Consumables: 1 day
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 2 (1D)
Atmosphere: 225; 650 kph
Hull: 5D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 5/0D
Scan 10/1D
Search 15/2D
Weapons:
2 Dual Heavy Laser Cannon (Fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front/Rear (one per round)
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
2 Dual Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
1 Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1 (Pilot or Co-Pilot)
Range:
--Space: 1-2/5/10
--Atmosphere: 100m-200m/500m/1km
Damage: 5D

NOTE: I'm aware that this ship is officially the Theta-Class, but it's my take that the Greek Alphabet designations are reserved for hyperspace-capable ships like Lambdas and the Thetas from RotS. I had originally decided to call it the Atlas-Class, but Whill's alternate suggestion below got my mind looking in other directions, and I settled on the Gigas (singular for Gigantes), the Giants of Greek mythology. There were sufficient themes that I found appropriate for a combat landing barge that it seemed a good fit, so Gigas-Class it is.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
NOTE: I'm aware that this ship is officially the Theta-Class, but it's my take that the Greek Alphabet designations are reserved for hyperspace-capable ships like Lambdas and the Thetas from RotS. As such, since this ship is basically a smaller cousin on the Y-85 Titan Landing Barge (which also does not have a hyperdrive), I decided to co-opt another name from Greek mythology and call this platform the Atlas-Class. YMMV.

Instead of the titan Atlas, how about Theia-class? Theia is also a titan, and that name is literally only one letter off from theta so it includes a strong vestige of the canon name for this ship. Plus, this ship is a drop barge and Theia is the name of the planet that "dropped" to proto-Earth in the early solar system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice imagery there, but after some quick research, I'm wondering if Gigantes would be a more apt choice. In Greek mythology, the Giants (Gigantes) were created when the blood of Uranus fell to earth, creating creatures who resembled Titans (in much the same way that the Theta and Titan have very similar design, but are quite different in size), but were their own separate race. And while Theia would be an apt choice if the ship were named after the planet, Theia the goddess was the goddess of sight, which isn't particularly on point. The Gigantes, on the other hand, were known for the strength and aggression, and were said to have been imprisoned in volcanos, thus being the cause of volcanic eruptions. That sounds much more martial in nature than Theia...

EDIT: Actually, per Wikipedia, the singular for Gigantes would be Gigas, which is less of a mouthful.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since Theta is the eighth letter of the Greek alphabet, it would be a subtle homage to call it the Y-8 Gigas, which is more in keeping with other Incom landing craft like the Y-4 Raptor and the Y-85 Titan.

EDIT: Name changed to the Y-8 Gigas-Class Combat Landing Barge.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As an added bonus, he included a glimpse of an early Imperial in Republic stripes.

Actually, I spoke too soon here. What I thought was an early Imperial is actually Fractal's Tector-Class, which has very similar lines to the Imperator but is optimized as a big-gun ship, sacrificing most of its hangar capacity to move the reactor fully under the outer hull for better protection in a gunnery duel.

Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, since Theta is the eighth letter of the Greek alphabet, it would be a subtle homage to call it the Y-8 Gigas, which is more in keeping with other Incom landing craft like the Y-4 Raptor and the Y-85 Titan.

EDIT: Name changed to the Y-8 Gigas-Class Combat Landing Barge.

I like that. And glad I could help in a small way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I like that. And glad I could help in a small way.

You certainly provided the initial impetus. Thank you.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've steered clear of Fractal's version of the Victory Star Destroyer for a while because I couldn't really fit it into my headcanon for the Victory I & II as delineated by WEG. Fractal's version is very obviously a heavy warhead launch platform, but the size of the tubes places a limit on the capacity of its magazines. A launch platform of this size could function well as an anti-ship platform, but that sort of mission generally requires the speed to close with / keep up with enemy capital ships in a battle of maneuver, and the missile-armed Victory I is slower than pretty much any ship it's likely to face.

In addition, the EU version of the Victory I is pretty heavily slanted toward planetary attack / bombard; the SW: Rebellion variant has a higher Bombardment rating than the Super Star Destroyer. I'm not sure I agree with that, but the concept of the Victory I being a relatively slow platform optimized to put a heavy battalion on the ground and provide them with fire support is well established.

The faster Victory II is a better candidate, and is explicitly more space superiority oriented, but its armament is more energy cannon oriented. I've actually taken the step of reducing the Victory II's troop complement so that it can carry a full fighter wing of six squadrons, which is better suited to the space superiority role the ship is supposed to play. However, while it does check some of the boxes, it's even less of a fit for Fractal's missile heavy variant.

What I have in mind is to retire my home-brewed Victory III Star Carrier (the Venator does everything my Victory III does, except better) and make a new Victory III that's combines the most appropriate features of the Victory I and II that make a good space superiority missile platform. In general, I'm thinking the Victory II's speed and troop capacity, but with only two squadrons of fighters for defense and no ion cannon. In their place, it'll have a massive battery of heavy missile tubes (20 to a side). The main weakness there is that it won't have much available in the way of reloads, so it won't be as useful in a sustained battle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: