The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Hand Grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Hand Grenades Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, what would be some decent rules for targeting enemies with grenades when said enemy is in a confined space, such as in a corridor, small room with one door, or in a trench or foxhole?

Shadowrun had the chunky salsa rule.

So, your grenade has a 3m radius, and they're in a 2m wide room. Grenade hits the guy in the middle of the room, and he takes damage. The walls then take damage and, if they don't break, the shockwave bounces back at the guy in the middle, now modified for his total range of 2m (1m there, 1m back). The walls then get the wave back, at a 3m range. Eventually, you either break the walls or run out of boom.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer to simplify that to something quicker, like a dice bonus to Accuracy and/or Damage based on how confined the space is.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an accuracy bonus based on the blast radius of the grenade?

If a basic frag has a blast radius of 0-2/4/6/10 then apply an accuracy bonus based on the size of the space,

7-10 square meters +1D
5-6 square meters +1D+1
3-4 square meters +1D+2
0-2 square meters +2D

Then apply a damage bonus ala the ROE optional rule, +1 for every 5 points over the difficulty number IIRC.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, the RAW already applies this to a degree, in that even when a grenade misses, it can only deviate so far from the target point, and that the larger the blast radius is, the less likely it becomes that any deviation will take the grenade far enough away to reduce the damage to any appreciable degree.

One possible variation on this would be to cap the degree of possible deviation based on the dimensions of the targeted space. A grenade thrown at Short Range has the potential to deviate up to 6 meters depending on the Scatter roll, but if it's thrown at a squad of stormtroopers in a 2-meter-wide corridor, it's physically impossible for it to scatter more than 1 meter to the left or right.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd prefer to simplify that to something quicker, like a dice bonus to Accuracy and/or Damage based on how confined the space is.

How about +1D damage per blast increment not used? So, if you're in a space that doesn't allow the 4th blast increment to be used, you get +1D to the first three blast increments. If you can't use anything but the 1st blast increment, you get +3D to the damage?

I figure in a confined space, accuracy isn't much of an issue (after all close explicitly applies to hand grenades), but the damage would go up without all the fiddly bits.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Random thought about the Grenade Deviation Diagram: I wish WEG had made it so that the deviation back toward the thrower happened on a 1, not a 4. Seeing as how 1 is the failure number on a Wild, having the grenade end up closer to the thrower on a 1 just feels more appropriate. If I were to write up my own chart, it'd look something like so...
Code:
   4       5
2      #      3

That way, higher numbers on the Deviation roll represent the grenade being further away, representing a "more successful" throwing action.

Funny. Although grenades to not appear often in my game, this is the exact grenade chart I made years ago.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very interesting. I have used grenades pretty regularly in my games and didn't worry about a lot of these factors, but they are worth considering. I typically just have the grenade blow immediately when thrown (assuming the thrower is always going to cook the grenade). I

I never use dodge to avoid grenades - I allow characters to use Running as a reaction skill to get put of the blast radius or get behind cover.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Random thought about the Grenade Deviation Diagram: I wish WEG had made it so that the deviation back toward the thrower happened on a 1, not a 4. Seeing as how 1 is the failure number on a Wild, having the grenade end up closer to the thrower on a 1 just feels more appropriate. If I were to write up my own chart, it'd look something like so...
Code:
   4       5
2      #      3

That way, higher numbers on the Deviation roll represent the grenade being further away, representing a "more successful" throwing action.

[/digress]

This in my new grenade deviation chart starting now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: