The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attributes, revised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Attributes, revised Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Attributes, revised Reply with quote

Parts of these house rules/tweaks come up in various discussions and it often brings up more questions, so it makes sense to compile like topics...

Introduction

Every character in the game has attributes and skills, represented by die code values.

Attributes are basic qualities of a character. Characters may have up to seven attributes, but most have six, and some archaic or primitive characters may only have five. The six normal attributes are Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical Aptitude, Perception, Strength, and Technical Aptitude. The one extranormal attribute is The Force. Attributes may not normally be improved after character creation.

Each attribute governs a list of skills. For attributes with a die code of 1D or higher, skills default in value to the attribute. Skills may be improved above their attribute value during and after character creation. Unimproved skill attempts are made by rolling the attribute die code. When making unskilled skill attempts outside a character's experience, the GM may rule that there is a temporary unfamiliarity penalty to the attribute roll(s). The GM may call for a Perception roll to end the unfamiliarity penalty or determine how soon it will end. If the unfamiliar character has a chance to observe the skill being used, the GM may also call for Perception roll to eliminate the unfamiliarity penalty to an unskilled skill roll.

Attribute Descriptions

Dexterity is a measure of a character's eye-hand coordination, agility, balance, and reflexes. Characters with a high Dexterity are good at using hand-held weapons, dodging blaster bolts, throwing things, and even picking pockets. Characters with a low Dexterity are clumsy. Base Dexterity includes the character's contortion ability. Dexterity is also a main factor of the character's Initiative statistic.

Knowledge represents a character's knowledge of facts and data gained from practical experiences and academic learning. It is also a measure of a character's memory and ability to gather information. Characters with a high Knowledge have learned a lot about different planets and aliens. They're good at applying first aid. They often have a flair for languages and know how to get things done in bureaucracies. Characters with a low Knowledge are ignorant.

Mechanical Aptitude represents how well a character can operate vehicles and machinery. It represents the character's ability to pilot starships and operate the various systems on board. It is also a measure of a character's spatial awareness and sense of direction. A character with a high Mechanical attribute is going to take naturally to driving landspeeders, flying cloud cars, and piloting X-wings and ships like the Millennium Falcon. A character with a low Mechanical may have a lot of minor accidents and get lost a lot.

Perception is a measure of a character's physical and social awareness, force of personality, and mettle. It also reflects animal empathy and how well the character handles live mounts, like banthas and tauntauns. Those with a high Perception are good at noticing details, hiding and sneaking, and spotting concealed objects or people hiding behind a corner. They're good at character interaction, such as convincing people to do favors for them, tricking or conning others, and bargaining to get a good price for goods or services. A character with a low Perception may have difficulty figuring out when his friends are teasing him. Base Perception includes the character's passive awareness ability (active awareness has two skills). Perception is also a main factor in Initiative.

Strength represents a character’s physical strength, endurance, and health. It is also a measure of a character's ability to climb, jump, and swim. Characters with a high Strength can lift heavy objects, push themselves for hours without rest, and are good at resisting disease and injury. A character with a low Strength gets winded easily.

Technical Aptitude represents a character's innate knowledge of how to take apart, repair, and modify electronic technologies. A character with a high Technical attribute can take apart a droid to repair a malfunction, fix a busted drive system on a landspeeder, and modify a blaster to have a longer range. Technical also reflects a character's ability to program computers, set explosives, and defeat electronic security systems. Characters with a low Technical may have trouble changing a power pack in a blaster.

The Force is an energy field created by all living things. The Force attribute is the measure of a character's ability to sense and control the Force. Most characters do not have this attribute. The characters that have it are considered to be "Force-sensitive."

0D Range Attributes

A character having a 1D or higher in Knowledge, Mechanical or Technical means they have some familiarity with galactic civilization and standard technologies. Some primitive or archaic gamemaster characters may have less than 1D in any of these three attributes. Below are the rules for each possibility.

0D - An attribute value of 0D means the character cannot have or use any skills of that attribute. Technical is usually the only normal attribute a sentient character would have a 0D in.

0D+1 - An attribute value of 0D+1 means that the character may have select skills at 1D or higher but they do not normally have access to unimproved skills of these attributes (no attribute defaults).

0D+2 - An attribute value of 0D+2 mean that the character may have select skills at 1D or higher and may occasionally perform very simple tasks of unimproved skills of these attributes, the circumstances of which as determined by the GM.

Note: Most characters will have 0D in The Force attribute, but The Force never has values of 0D+1 or 0D+2. If a character is Force-sensitive, they have 1D or higher in The Force.

Species Attribute Statistics

Attribute Dice: This is the number of total attribute dice for an "average" (usually adult) member of the species. Most gamemaster characters of the species will have this total number of attribute dice, but they can have any number of attribute dice as restricted below.

Attribute Die Code Ranges: Each species has a separate listing for each attribute. Except for rare gamemaster characters who are exceptions, members of the species may not have an attribute die code lower than the first number (the minimum) or higher than the second number (the maximum).

Galactic Average Sentient Species Statistics

The game system is based on the following premise:

Average Total ATTRIBUTE DICE: 12D
Code:
      AVERAGE MIN/MAX
  DEX:   2D    1D/4D
  KNO:   2D    1D/4D
  MEC:   2D    1D/4D
  PER:   2D    1D/4D
  STR:   2D    1D/4D
  TEC:   2D    1D/4D
  FOR:   0D    0D/3D

Player Character Rules

All player characters of any playable species have exactly 18D in total attribute dice. PCs must have a minimum of 2D in all normal attributes. The maximum value a PC's attribute can be is 5D or the species maximum, whichever is less. Furthermore, a PC will normally only have one attribute above 3D+2.

Skills, revised
Char Gen: The Bonus Die/Advantages, Fluencies & Contacts
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Human stats, revised Reply with quote

Humans

Adult Female Plural: women
Adult Male Plural: men
Gender-Neutral Singular: Human
Adult Female Singular: woman
Adult Male Singular: men
Adjective: human
Language: Galactic Standard (Basic, many other dialects)
Homeworlds: Coruscant, Corellia, Alderaan, and many more.
Species Type: hominid mammals
Size: 1.7 (female), 1.8 (male) / 1.5-2.0 meters
Move: 10/12
Average Total ATTRIBUTE DICE: 14D
Code:
      AVERAGE   MIN/MAX
  DEX:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  KNO:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  MEC:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  PER:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  STR:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  TEC:   2D+1   1D/4D+1
  FOR:   0D     0D/3D

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Female Characters: All female Human characters suffer a -2 penalty to all lifting/exertion rolls. Female Human PCs receive a +2 bonus to one of the following Perception skills, to be chosen by the player during character generation: animal riding/handling, bargaining, command/leadership, con/deception, intimidation, or persuasion/charm. On the character sheet, add a "+2" immediately after the chosen bonus skill name (before the space for the die code). If the skill is improved, record its die code value normally.
STARTING SKILL DICE BONUS: At the time of player character creation, Humans receive an extra 4D to allocate to any skills. One of these four dice may be used as an extra bonus die.
STORY FACTOR:
Human Dominance: Humans are the dominant species of the galaxy. Humans are ubiquitous and have long dominated galactic politics. Many norms of the galaxy conform to human standards. Human supremacist attitudes worsened under the Galactic Empire, so many nonhumans have grown to distrust or fear humans.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Attributes, revised Reply with quote

Some interesting stuff here. I may be incorporating the "Attribute fractions" or something akin to them when I do some of the Creature stat rewrites...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Human stats, revised Reply with quote

I am sure there is a lot of history to it, but why bump all mins and max Attribute ranges for humans by +1 and why +2D Attribute dice? It seems like such a basic premise for 2D/4D and 12D Attribute dice, why change that?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Attributes and Human stats, revised Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Whill wrote:
Parts of these house rules/tweaks come up in various discussions and it often brings up more questions, so it makes sense to compile like topics...

I am sure there is a lot of history to it, but why bump all mins and max Attribute ranges for humans by +1 and why +2D Attribute dice? It seems like such a basic premise for 2D/4D and 12D Attribute dice, why change that?

Yes, most everything here has been discussed elsewhere piecemeal. There are a couple recent years threads about restatting humans.

Like a lot of games with humans as a PC race, the game system in this one was built around the premise that humans are the average. That game design convention makes practical sense–the game designers are humans so it is easier to envision how the fictional species would vary in comparison when statting them up.

But WEG was only part of the EU, which outlived WEG and expanded well beyond it. Plus game mechanics weren't really canon anyway.

What happened in the EU is that humans were not portrayed as average in the galaxy. Fluff after fluff after fluff described humans as uber. Which makes sense in universe–they are very obviously the dominant species in the galaxy.

So I embraced that non-RPG premise in my game while honoring the original premise. In my game, the original game stats for humans are still considered galactic average (in the first post), but human stats more accurately reflect how humans are portrayed in the EU as a whole. It's not a game breaking shift–It's only one pip to each average (and max) attribute, which results in an average total attribute dice value of 14D instead of 12D. Since I chucked the "+6D" rule, human PCs still only have 18D. So that +2D only affects average human NPCs, not PCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Human stats, revised Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Female Human PCs receive a +2 bonus to one of the following Perception skills, to be chosen by the player during character generation: beast riding, bargain, command, con, intimidation, or persuasion. On the character sheet, add a "+2" immediately after the chosen bonus skill name (before the space for the die code). If the skill is improved, record its die code value normally.
STARTING SKILL DICE BONUS: At the time of player character creation, Humans receive an extra 4D to allocate to any skills.

ONLY a +2?? IMO with how many women seem to easily control men, it should be +2D to con, persuasion and intimidate!!! Twisted Evil
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Human stats, revised Reply with quote

I guess I should have put my human stats in their own thread. I just wanted my house humans stats here since humans were the RAW average species premise in the game as originally designed.

I expected someone to mention the sexual dimorphism in the stats, but not like that! But then again, this concept first appeared in my Zabrak stats (opposite, I made males stronger with an interaction skill penalty to choose). Zabrak are near-humans (as a result of genetic engineering in my SWU).

Physically, Star Wars humans seem to be exactly like modern Earth humans, but they don't have to be. I just wanted something that was a little nod toward real life where men tend to be stronger than women (due to nature), to assuage my disbelief suspension (no way little Carrie Fisher has 3D lifting). Since all PCs must balanced, I added the compensation that female PCs get an equal bonus to another skill. I had read a study that determined parents tended to talk to baby girls more than boys, and it reflects later in life with girls tending toward more socialization and higher grades in language arts. So I chose influence skills based on some scientific evidence that Earth females tended to be more social due to societal gender "norms" (nurture, although I imagine these are changing nowadays).

I just made the bonus the entire category of influence skills. (And making it only certain influence skills would seem more like misogyny.) However, while Star Wars seems to have humans with similar nature to us, it may not have the same nurture. I guess a GM using these stats could expand the PC bonus to choose from all non-Strength skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes, revised Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Some interesting stuff here. I may be incorporating the "Attribute fractions" or something akin to them when I do some of the Creature stat rewrites...

Oh, you mean the 0D+1 and 0D+2? Creatures have Dex, Str, Per, and no skills per se. My 0D range attributes is for the other three attributes creatures don't have, to represent archaic/primitive characters and how they may not default in all skills in those attributes. But it does make sense that some creatures may have very small attributes for Dex, Str, and Per.

I'm looking forward to your creature stats.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting this here since it it does concern revised attributes.

The Force Attribute and the "power levels"

it has been said that someone strong enough to be considered by the jedi will be at 2D+ to 3D
and people with more than this are super powerful.

However this makes me wonder should it be a cap on how much you can raise a skill after creation.

I can crate a character with 3D sex and start with a 5D skill, and later spending CP I can raise this to 6D or 7D, this being now 3D and +4D above attribute and I can raise this even further, we see people with 2D+ attributes and 8D-10D skill levels.

Now would it make sense that someone with 1D in Force attribute can NEVER EVER raise a force skill above lets say +3D, allowing them a max 4D to alter, control and sense. allowing them to reach a level where they can acta as the teacher ( +3D in skill)

then have someone with 2D have a higher cap on hogh much they can rise a skill.

I can see an exploit here where my 1D force, with 6D+ in all the force skills will basically pass as close to "ignored" by the empire due to barely being in touvh with the force, while if I was 3D force and had 6D in the skills they would be very intersted, so maybe there should be a cap on the skills under force, even if is is not on the other skills.

I can see someing like

1D (max 4D)
2D (max 5D)
3D (max 6D)

and so on, maybe adjust this of course
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this concept for The Force attribute. That way the attribute dice code is not just the starting point, but also a measure of the character's potential with the Force. But I think I'll adjust your maxes upward to this:

1D 6D
2D 8D
3D 10D
4D 12D
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I like this concept for The Force attribute. That way the attribute dice code is not just the starting point, but also a measure of the character's potential with the Force. But I think I'll adjust your maxes upward to this:

1D 6D
2D 8D
3D 10D
4D 12D

yeah tgis works, I was mostly concerned about making anything above 1D actually valuable.

If the force skills would advance normally then I cam to a point where I had no benefit from having anyhing above 1D to the force stat, I of course followed the prograssions ruels, paid the CP cost and found that without a total cap to the skills I could see why I would even have more than 1D in the attribute.

I like the scale you have there, and I assume this is the total max, if so then it will reduce at times some of the overly powerful force users the 10-12+ people in skills, and even out many so I like the table there.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Whill wrote:

1D 6D
2D 8D
3D 10D
4D 12D

I like the scale you have there, and I assume this is the total max, if so then it will reduce at times some of the overly powerful force users the 10-12+ people in skills, and even out many so I like the table there.

Yes, on the right those are overall max skill die codes corresponding to The Force attribute die codes on the left. Just like a species' normal attribute ranges, I would consider these Force skill maxes to apply to all PCs and most NPCs–there may be a few NPC exceptions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

However this makes me wonder should it be a cap on how much you can raise a skill after creation.

I can crate a character with 3D sex and start with a 5D skill, and later spending CP I can raise this to 6D or 7D, this being now 3D and +4D above attribute and I can raise this even further, we see people with 2D+ attributes and 8D-10D skill levels.

Now would it make sense that someone with 1D in Force attribute can NEVER EVER raise a force skill above lets say +3D, allowing them a max 4D to alter, control and sense. allowing them to reach a level where they can acta as the teacher ( +3D in skill)

In the past, i've asked/wondered, should there be a cap on how high you can take a skill, above it's attribute... I generally lean to no right now, but if i did see capping it, i'd likely go 4d above the attribute, 6d for specialties.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked out the details of my Force system yet, so it may change. Right now I think I am learning toward making Force powers somewhat like advanced skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative is to issue some rule on learning powers, with using the force attribute to roll to learn a new power, this will limit the imo easily overpowering 1D characters.

With the rules being that you spend cp, and you have what you need to advance the force skills, you can advance these forever with no actual cap, and you learn a new power pr pip in the skill.

Now if we had a difficulty on the powers, in addition to the skills requirments, we would limite the amounts of power leraned or at least it is harder to simply learn powers even with a teacher when you barely have a connection to the force at all.

Now with 1D we can with a fair chance do most very easy/easy tasks, and we then can learn the powers that have an "easy/very easy" rating.

becuse nature does have the strange outlayer, the person that has only weaknesses and the person with no weakness both exist in the fringes, and to have something in the middle we let the FORCE Attribute Dice be a wild dice at 1D and above, alllwing the character to when the force willst it be able to learn something more "advanced"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: