The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Roll20 and Star Warriors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Roll20 and Star Warriors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Roll20 and Star Warriors Reply with quote

Hey RP.

A gamer friend of mine ran a D&D for our group so I could have a break from being GM and work on my game. He ran his game on this platform Roll20, and I have to say it was very stable, a tad tedious, but also very helpful for our long distance game!
He was dropping in photos and maps, having private chats with players, you name it.

I was looking at it for my long distance Star Wars D6 game. We had been using Googlemeetings and I was simply pointing my camera down at my gaming table with my old maps and Micro Machine Minis. I would ask them how they moved their Nova-3 around the asteroids and so forth. So as GM, I had to do a lot of explaining and moving of everything. Not good for player involvement.

BUT, this Roll 20 platform has a HEX GRID option and you can turn your Hex Tokens to face any direction with a simple mouse drag. WHAT IF I FORCED my players to learn Star Warriors for our starship combat!?

Any advice for running Star Warriors quickly? Has anyone else given this a try long distance?
If I am the first I will of course give you all a full report.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of hybrid system that uses the Star Warriors grid maps, but resolves combat using the extant combat system.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see some sort of hybrid system that uses the Star Warriors grid maps, but resolves combat using the extant combat system.

I am a tad nervous about trying to teach players who are not right in front of me a rather CLUNKY 1980s hex battle system (in addition to all my other demands.)

I do like the way speed and maneuverability plays out on the Hex with different kinds of ships.
People LOVE using TIE Interceptors and A-Wings to pull off slick 180s while everyone else is in a sllllllow turn.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running tactical games via Teams using maps I create in Microsoft VISIO, but there are other options. I am using the straight D6 rules, but am using a hybrid adaptation of Star Warriors for squadron fighter combat that I can share if you are interested, but it is best when set in an Excel spreadsheet with formulas set to avoid it from getting too mathy. CRMcNeill has a squadron rule set as well.

VISIO is all based on X and Y coordinates, so there is no need for a hex grid - I just draw lines between ships to measure the distances and I even make the line look like laser bolts when marking declared shots between ships. In order to make it work, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that 1 space unit is 100 meters. I then draw various rings around the ships to indicate the maximum range of each ship's various weapons.

So, it is possible and it can work well if you have a reliable system to draw and measure. It does not have to be VISIO, of course, but you need something better than Word or PowerPoint.
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I have been running tactical games via Teams using maps I create in Microsoft VISIO, but there are other options. I am using the straight D6 rules, but am using a hybrid adaptation of Star Warriors for squadron fighter combat that I can share if you are interested, but it is best when set in an Excel spreadsheet with formulas set to avoid it from getting too mathy. CRMcNeill has a squadron rule set as well.

VISIO is all based on X and Y coordinates, so there is no need for a hex grid - I just draw lines between ships to measure the distances and I even make the line look like laser bolts when marking declared shots between ships. In order to make it work, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that 1 space unit is 100 meters. I then draw various rings around the ships to indicate the maximum range of each ship's various weapons.

So, it is possible and it can work well if you have a reliable system to draw and measure. It does not have to be VISIO, of course, but you need something better than Word or PowerPoint.

that is good to hear! I would LOVE to have a look. One of my players is a spreadsheet nutcase, but also the least interested in starfighters. I could always give him control of NPC ships while his Young Jedi hides in the escape pod.
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dipped my feet into roll20 with d6.

I did NOT try any combat yet, as it was a very Ship Modification/Armor Repair/ Sell left over Blasters/Exploration/Detective kind of session with a little murder mystery at the Cantina.

I did import a Sector Map of Elrood, over lade a simple grid, and make tokens for the party's ships. As they traveled from system to system, the captain moved his little ship token. This alone was a HUGE hit with the players. They had lots of questions about each system. You don't need Roll20 for this, but I was able to make a Nova-3 token for the parties freighter which help them get into it.

Roll20 has a 'pointer' option so players can generate little circles to get each other's attention on the map or grid and can draw temporary line of sight lines. Very useful for clarity.

I was able to simply drag art and pics onto the map from my desktop. Everyone could see what buildings and characters looked like without me holding up a book. Pretty fast and easy.

So far, I wouldn't say it is superior to other video chat tech, but I know my players are using it for their DND games so I am TRYING to keep them from having to learn too many new things. Positive overall.
I will let Space Pirates attack at their next jump point and see how combat goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: