The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combined Actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Combined Actions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Combined Actions Reply with quote

I didn't see this topic in the previous discussion threads, so here goes. The rules for Combined Actions have swung back and forth pretty wildly from 1E to 2E to 2ER&E. I personally like the premise of 2E best of the three as you can decide where to add the dice for Combined Action attacks - either to the 'to hit' roll or to damage. However, after using the Combined Action rules per 2E for several games with capital ships with weapons batteries, I and my players are finding it ineffective and better to roll separate attacks for each weapon, even if tedious. Thoughts?

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Combined Actions Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I didn't see this topic in the previous discussion threads, so here goes. The rules for Combined Actions have swung back and forth pretty wildly from 1E to 2E to 2ER&RE. I personally like the premise of 2E best of the three as you can decide where to add the dice for Combined Action attacks - either to the 'to hit' roll or to damage. However, after using the Combined Action rules per 2E for several games with capital ships with weapons batteries, I and my players are finding it ineffective and better to roll separate attacks for each weapon, even if tedious. Thoughts?

Maybe if you've got one or two, but when you start getting into capital ships with 10-20 weapons in a single fire arc, that's a lot of extraneous rolling, especially when individual cannon don't hit hard enough to do damage except on a very lucky roll.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Combined Actions Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I didn't see this topic in the previous discussion threads, so here goes. The rules for Combined Actions have swung back and forth pretty wildly from 1E to 2E to 2ER&RE. I personally like the premise of 2E best of the three as you can decide where to add the dice for Combined Action attacks - either to the 'to hit' roll or to damage. However, after using the Combined Action rules per 2E for several games with capital ships with weapons batteries, I and my players are finding it ineffective and better to roll separate attacks for each weapon, even if tedious. Thoughts?

Maybe if you've got one or two, but when you start getting into capital ships with 10-20 weapons in a single fire arc, that's a lot of extraneous rolling, especially when individual cannon don't hit hard enough to do damage except on a very lucky roll.

I agree that rolling 10-20 times is impractical, but my players are really tempted to push to do it because the combined actions rules significantly reduce their effective firepower. The max number being the Command skill dice of the person commanding and only +1 per additional gun is paltry... it seems they went a step backwards with the Combined Action rule for that version.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Combined Actions Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The max number being the Command skill dice of the person commanding and only +1 per additional gun is paltry... it seems they went a step backwards with the Combined Action rule for that version.

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with 2E; since we're allowed to make up our own, I went with a different Bonus generation method. the same method I used to generate the Battery Dice. Whill beat me to posting the link, so you can see my thoughts there. I haven't really hammered out how I want to do the Command roll, but again, I'm more partial to the 2E method than the capped version from 2R&E.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Combined Actions Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dr. Bidlo wrote:
The max number being the Command skill dice of the person commanding and only +1 per additional gun is paltry... it seems they went a step backwards with the Combined Action rule for that version.

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with 2E; since we're allowed to make up our own, I went with a different Bonus generation method. the same method I used to generate the Battery Dice. Whill beat me to posting the link, so you can see my thoughts there. I haven't really hammered out how I want to do the Command roll, but again, I'm more partial to the 2E method than the capped version from 2R&E.

You know, I actually was looking at your rules several months ago when I developed my revised Combined Actions Rules. I used the same logic as you (yet another example), but I will reserve that discussion for the House Rules thread. For this official rules discussion, I think I prefer 2E as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: