The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tecnology progression Question (and a little bit of a rant)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tecnology progression Question (and a little bit of a rant)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Tecnology progression Question (and a little bit of a rant) Reply with quote

Tecnology progression.

In the Old Republic Galaxy guide there is a tech-ladder that indicates
how tech have developed.
on this we see that old republic blasters are far less effective if used on a modern armor etc

so we see that clone wars era ships and equipment is at -1D maing all weapons deal less damage
and the hull/shields will take +1D damage.

This tech.ladder goes both ways so anything first order would again be +1D or more better than "current"

I however find this to be at best flaed, and at worst "bantha podo"

If we look to the movies, we se one iconic ship, the falon, a ship model the YT-1300 is seen in
the prequals, yet somehow the ship is not -1D all over due to the aging tech being inferor to the
new one.

I am all in favor of progress and that most things new will be better than most things old, BUT
I can not see that clone wars era gear is inferior to that level or inferior at all compared to current.

Now is the clone wars tech at par with "current", I would say yes and no.
I can not see any sign that clone armor is that inferior to the stormtrooper armor.
the electornics are naturally better, we can see this om the MTFAS system being at a lower dice number
but we see people using clone wars guns, and vehicles, some vehicles super old, more than 50-100yrs
which in star wars don't really seem to be as much.

Now how is it realistic to have a performance gap, well lets look to our world.
The M4 developed over 50 years ago, a platform that is constantly improved and "renewed"
but still a 50 year old platform.
The great comabt aircraft F14 is another agin warhorse, 50 years old, or the F-15 and F-16 both
still in use with modern avionocs and weapon systems, but the platform is still 50 years old.

so is then realistic to argue that a clone war armor actully have STR +0 to resist armor becuse the
armor was from the "last war" or is it more logical and more "lore driendly" to actually make the tech gap
less rigid and more "random" seeing things like the over 100yr old YT-1300 model being still 100% upto
date.

This view, most clone war tech and rebellion era tech is more or less at par doe not prevent technology
from beinf developed, for tech to improve but not always imo in mere dice output
lets look at the TIE Defender, a new design, adding in hyperdrive and shields......it is most ly those two
features that speerate it form the othet TIEs, without then it would be a "funny looking TIE" and
nothing more. So here we could argue the same level of gunnery, sensors, and so on.......but it
is new technology still.

lets look at Cpt Rex, we see him in rebels using his clone armor and his clone guns, they do not appear
to have any less effect against the stormtrooper armors, even though the troopers would roll
+1D to the armor, pitting at +4D vs the shot at a -1D for the 3D damage.........

I would argue that tech is constantly improving, someotimes it is a brand new ADD/REMOVE dice or pip
becuse of how something is doen, maybe a better way of using the ozone in blasters making them
more effective. sure.......but is this an automatic +1D after a set number of years....and then why is not
the other thing made on the same day, the old comlink or maybe the steel knife 20 years prior
somehow was made of inferior steel from the same ore, from the same mine but naturally the
ore and the mine and the fisnished steel somehow is now much better, It matured we might say LOL

I am not sure what would be a more accurate tech-tree or ladder but I dislike the one that is now.
I see very little to no difference in dice value to clone wars and to battle of yavin era.

I would like and maybe will try work out a revised tech tree refelcting changes but maybe less rigid
and to me more make sense.

That being said I understand why things are made the way are, I would love to use some of the "op"
old republic stuff in my battle of yavin era rebel cell, with the claoking devices and the overkill guns and
more, and naturally with no restrictions on 3000 yr old tech this wwill be silly, and I agree, but
I disagree that clone wars tech is any more ot less inferior than mybe, and I am stretching to the limit, a +1
pip value. The first TIE fighters used not statted out as -1D compared to others were CLONE WARS ERA
the Death Star is a clone wars era weapon.......some of the star destroyers are, selveral of the
shuttle craft were still in use and not statted with -1D anyhere compared to the same models made
10-15 years later.
Armors we see the electronics mostly improve, some mobility and ergonomics we do see, but other than helmet
design and mnor changes, like from phase 1 to phase 2 , to the armor, the only real change
to the stormtrooper armor from the clone trooper armor is the MFTAS system mostly

so what would be reasonable...why is not mace windu's lightsaber only 4D damage becuse 20 years
passed?
Why isn't the lightsabers weaker? after all Vader's would be at a -1D+2 and palaptine's one would be a -2D maybe even
more...

So what is the most reasonable differences in tech and when are they game mechanically not
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this may be a bit Ship of Thesus, and another bit too short of intervals.

To the Ship of Thesus solution, you could argue that many aging ships have been upgraded/repaired over the years to conform to modern standards. So, mothballed Rebellion-era TIEs might have the penalty, but constant-service TIEs would have had their systems brought up to contemporary standards.

OTOH, there's the interval. I'm 100% cool with such adjustments bein applied to Jedi Civil War era stuff... the Ebon Hawk is going to be way behind the Falcon and, at 2000 years old, it would be hard to upgrade it. But I don't know if I would apply it between Rebellion Era and Resistance Era, or even between High Republic and Resistance. A couple hundred years doesn't seem to be that long in the scope of the galaxy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, we have helos and airplanes that are 60+ years old, and STILL perform well..

So i agree. that their 'tech ladder' is bantha poodo.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, we have helos and airplanes that are 60+ years old, and STILL perform well..

So i agree. that their 'tech ladder' is bantha poodo.

Russian navy uses a 1915 , yes a WW1 Submarine tender still, it is in active service and have been so since 1915, naturally with all electronics and systems moderninized.

Just a quick and fun youtube search on ww2 ships and vehicls and planes still in service suddely becomes quite the lists, and this technology that is still upto par, becuse wireing are changed, things are modernized.

This is something I miss rules for in star wars, I have salvaged the construction drawings of ebon hawk, I have the means to have the ship made but naturally with todays tech........my gut feeling is then, allow the stats to trandfer 1/1.......

but yes there needs to be a difference between stuff, but as to thech being "that different" stat wise I simply can not see any actual presidence for.
I can mention lightsabers to be the most obvious, it is not stated anywhere that a lightsaber from the old republic is any less effective than one made in the time of the prequals, or by time of luke's jedi academy.

yet according tot he "tech table" some of thise lightsbaers should be statted with damage no more than 2D, giving a 3D tech level penalty, like the ancient and more than 1000yr old darksaber.......it would not accordin to the table be able to even cut air......

we need to have a better scale and I think that we need 2, one for "personal tech" such as weapons and armor and coms etc, and one for the more static and larger things, like starships and speeders.

I would argue that just becuse a civil war era sail ship is inferor to any warship today, a .45 single action army is still made and is sitll thus at par...maing some of the tech inferior and some to par even at 200 years

So I am suggesting something like 1000 yers is something we can not actually effective use for anything than museum display.

1000-500 year old tech is something we can begin to compare and then find a level where imo at least the last 50 or so years have a tech level more or less at par.

so something like this maybe
+1000: Relic, use for museums
1000-500: ancient technology significantly inferior
500-100 only silghtly inferior in some areas but still below the galacti standard technology level
100-50 only slightly inferior and only slightly below the galactic standard, often the standard in the outer rim and other less developed places
50-0 current standard galactic tech level
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: