The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventurer's Journal Presents...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Adventurer's Journal Presents... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks slick. I'll read through it later. Thanks for the link!
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the next issue of Adventurer's Journal has been officially released (it's run largely via facebook and I am so rarely on there nowadays), but it should be out soon if it's not out already.

Happy to say that, despite still being crazy-crunched for time, I was able to contribute a short article which furthered their David Bowie homages. Unused concept art for TRoS included a pilot based on Bowie's Starman look, so I ran with the idea, after securing permission from the artist to use his piece for "hobby/non-commercial" purposes! Very Happy

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful books. Great job by all involved! Very Happy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Happy to say that, despite still being crazy-crunched for time, I was able to contribute a short article which furthered their David Bowie homages. Unused concept art for TRoS included a pilot based on Bowie's Starman look, so I ran with the idea, after securing permission from the artist to use his piece for "hobby/non-commercial" purposes! Very Happy

I'm a huge Bowie fan. Looking forward to this!

Quote:
I'm not sure if the next issue of Adventurer's Journal has been officially released (it's run largely via facebook and I am so rarely on there nowadays), but it should be out soon if it's not out already.

I thought a rough draft was released but not the final draft. What I saw that was released seemed to not have the fanfare that the final release usually has, but I didn't look at the document.

The short history of Adventurer's Journal is that it has a good editor-in-chief but the first several issues where released with little proofreading and format editing. I have been nothing but supportive of this endeavor. I contributed the tagline that's on every issue's cover. I spent my own money to commission the creation of cool rancor artwork for it. I have occasionally chimed in with directional guidance when it was important to (but they don't always like it). I told them I would contribute an article to the next issue. I long tolerated a racist individual to follow the progress of AJ development in a non-intrusive way (long story, don't ask).

But most of the feedback I've gotten about AJ was negative, about the lack of proofreading. It's very disheartening. So I acquired a proofreader for the group. Great! The recent issues are a lot better edited now. And the editor has gone back and edited some of the previous issues. Great! But I can't get a straight answer out of them which ones were and which ones weren't (including which versions of the first two issues).

What no one seems to appreciate is that it takes time and effort to run this website. There is a whole process for making new content available to our community on the Library. Download, rename file, move file, log into my web control panel, navigate to the proper interface, upload, edit the HTML coding on the Library to add a functional link, test everything, and go back to fix it if I messed up on any step. Some of these AJ issues have already been put into the Library multiple times. I'll put any improved issues up, but I don't have time to reup issues without knowing for sure if it is an improved version or the same as what is already there. Why would anyone want to do something just to find out it was wrong and have to do it again? I do not feel very appreciated by the AJ staff. They always just want to know download numbers, which is a bit of process to log into and get. But not nearly as much effort it takes to promote the magazine for them.

I have a problem with vagueness and aloof people. When I ask a simple direct question, I expect a straight and complete answer. When I have to ask multiple clarification questions, it begins to make me feel like an interrogator. I do not like feeling like an interrogator. The last "line" of questioning was almost to the complete answer of which issues do I re-do, to not duplicate work later, and it just went dead. They stopped answering. That makes me withdraw because it makes me feel bad about my questioning, when I actually did nothing wrong. So a few week later, I tried to ask again through a different channel. Still crickets.

So it would really be a big favor for me if someone reading this can find out specifically which issues (and which versions of the first two issues) have been edited by Paul May, and then let me know. Also, please provide a link where these updated issues can be downloaded. (I had a dropbox tab with all the issues open for a long time, but I do not have it anymore and I can't find it. When I get that again, I will save it.)

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I had no idea the process had been so difficult, Whill! Kudos to you on your nonetheless trying to see to it that the project was represented on the Pit, on top of your other, stalwart efforts/responsibilities in running this site. (And I know dealing with, and/or working with, racists can be *extremely* difficult, to say the very least, so extra kudos to you for enduring that. I would be gnashing my teeth!)

Re: issue release and finalization, I ran into somewhat of a similar situation with my Bowie/Starman article. I'd submitted it months ago, after exchanging formal emails with the concept artist, but had no formal confirmation re: the status of the AJ issue until fairly recently. The editor-in-chief does seem like a good guy and a stand-up fellow, and I'm sorry to hear it's been so wieldy otherwise. I hope someone with more of an inside scoop on which versions are which finds and relays the info along!

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Adventurer's Journal Presents... Reply with quote

No one here answered my November plea for help.

I was off Facebook for the entire month of December. The copy editor (who I recruited for AJ) had replied my November Facebook message in December, so I found the reply when I returned to Facebook on 1/1. He said that he had gone back and edited some of the older issues but had to stop at some point because it was such a headache. He thought that anything he edited was updated on the AJ dropbox but he wasn't sure. I continued my line of questioning to Editor in Chief, which consisted of incomplete, vague answers requiring further clarifying questions from me and then my last yes or no question was only answered with a like. At that point I threw my hands up in the air and surrendered like Jar-Jar, acknowledging that I had spent more time trying to get simple information to make my webmaster labor more efficient than it would just take to re-upload everything (instead of going through conversations to try to figure out which issues were updated compared to what was already posted to the Rancor Pit Library). I finally took a couple hours to do it tonight.

Webmasters are unsung heroes. This website does not currently generate any income, so this technical stuff is all non-fun free time. I'm not feeling appreciated by most Rancor Pit users, or the Adventurer's Journal staff and contributors. The Rancor Pit is one of the main few AJ distribution networks.

Whill wrote:
Adventurers Journal 050418 Issue One

Adventurer's Journal 080318 Issue Two - Alien Species, Creatures, & Worlds

Galactic Guide One: Rotgut Station

Adventurer's Journal 020119 Issue Three - Adventurer's Guide to Military Forces

Adventurer's Journal 050419 Issue Four - That Which Binds Us

Fantastic Technology One: Professional Gadgets & Personal Gear

Adventurer's Journal 122019 Christmas Special

Adventurer's Journal 050420 Issue Five - Mercenaries & Miscreants

NEW --> Adventurer's Journal 111720 Issue Six - The More Things Change...

All the links on the Library and the OP of this thread were updated with the current versions (quoted above). And they no longer have both of the single-page versions for the first two issues on the dropbox and the copy editor wasn't sure if the single-page version file was updated, so I didn't bother with the single-page versions for either of the first two issues this time. The AJ staff made a choice to not bother with single-page PDFs for everything after Issue Two, so the 2-page versions are what is in the Library now for every issue (I don't want one version unedited while the other is). I think there may be one more old issue that still needs edited, so then I'll have one more file to replace if so. The only issue that I didn't reupload was the Christmas Special because that isn't in the AJ dropbox. To be sure you have the latest versions, re-download the rest. And if anyone had direct links saved, I updated all the URLs again to help me keep the files straight, so you'll have to update your bookmarks.

And it is a couple months late, but here is Issue Six from November for anyone that doesn't have it yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Adventurer's Journal Presents... Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No one here answered my November plea for help.

Sorry Whill, I do not remember a call for help, if so I would definitely have answered the call.

Whill wrote:
Webmasters are unsung heroes. This website does not currently generate any income, so this technical stuff is all non-fun free time.

They are indeed. Thank you!

Whill wrote:
I'm not feeling appreciated by most Rancor Pit users ...

I hear ya. I turned out two sourcebooks, got feedback from one person. Yeah no love.

Whill wrote:
... or the Adventurer's Journal staff and contributors.

I am not sure what is going on with the AJ guys. Maybe it was the holidays or editor-and-chief dealing with health issues. If so, I sure he has a lot on his plate getting caught. Still, it does not assuage feeling ignored and not appreciated.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don and Telsij! Unfortunately my experience with AJ is the way it always has been from Day One. I just kept my mouth shut and didn't complain about it all this time.

How pathetic of me to post "woe is me" posts. Poor me is not my usual MO in life, but that's low my spirits are about it all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Unfortunately my experience with AJ is the way it always has been from Day One. I just kept my mouth shut and didn't complain about it all this time.

How pathetic of me to post "woe is me" posts. Poor me is not my usual MO in life, but that's low my spirits are about it all.

Late to reply here as well, but thank you, Whill, not only for going to all the trouble of getting the most current / revised versions of the AJ set up here, but also for the thankless tasks you already so often undertake for the Pit!

Re: AJ itself, I'd intended to write another article for them, expanding the Project Starman scouting organization from my Bowie Starman piece, statting up afrofuturist Sun-Ra for Star Wars (as I'd made a character based on his stage persona the head of the scouting org), along with outlining an adventure that would adapt his film, Space is the Place, for SW as well.

Even though this would've been well down the road due to lack of free time, it was my intent to populate the scouting org with real life musicians that had "spacey/sci-fi" personas, like Bowie and Sun-Ra. But with how difficult getting clear answers from AJ had been, despite how nice/creative the crew is/was, looks like it'd be best to keep that on the back burner anyway!

Either way, thank you again for the work you do, W!

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Space Ace and Starchild!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW -->Galactic Guide Two: Ships & Salvage

The new AJ issue includes a couple contributions of yours truly. Below are the original threads about those for reference or discussion.

Damage Control

Power Routing for Space Transports
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sagospelet.com/2021/09/17/the-adventurers-journal/

Here is an interview with the Publisher and Editor in Chief of the Adventurer's Journal.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: NEW --> Minos Cluster (adventure) Reply with quote

NEW --> Minos Cluster (adventure)

This is a reworking of the original version of fan adventure that was already in the Library (It was rather generically named so I had renamed it "Minos-Mestra: Escape from the Supersmelter"). The original creator worked with the AJ team for this new version. This is up on the Library.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: