The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Largescale conversion from 40K to SWD6... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
BS (Ballistic Skill) for STR? Id say the 40K S, T and W stats make up the SW STR stats.

You're quite correct. It made sense when I wrote it, but apparently I need more sleep.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Ok, lets see. Im focusing on Chaos here. In my games so far I have left the Tau and the Necrons out (though some parts the Necron idea might be used if not for a whole species). The Squats and Eldars already have their place in my games. Orks have been recently discussed in another thread, resulting in the Gamorks. Dont know if that will see the light of day, but it was a good concept. The Imperium is a backward area of space much like the Tion Hegemony but even more isolated and backward. They do have a worshipped Emperor though.

I moved away from the idea of the Imperium in my version just because humanity as a whole in the SWU has gone a completely different path. However, an altered version of their culture would fit a technologically advanced race like the Squats/Demiurg. After all, Dwarves tend to be conservative, pious and suspicious of the supernatural, especially of magic users (read Psykers), apart from their Clerics

Gamorks? No, thank you. There is more than enough material available on both species to create two completely separate races, so why would you need to fold them into one? Although Orks invading Gamorr would be fun to watch.

ZzaphodD wrote:
Ok, so we have a some distant place where space is distorted, probably by surrounding black holes. Here an isolated Sith Empire has developed over millenia. Some traditions have twisted even further for being Sith. Probably they have forgotten their Sith heritage and a new belief system has been established.

That's part of why I felt that the Unknown Regions would be a good place to put the WH40K races, because whatever it is that makes Hyperspace travel so difficult in the Unknown Regions is an excellent analog for the perils of warpspace travel in WH40K, and the necessity of Navigators. I think that, to preserve the feel of WH40K as a whole, there needs to be a community of interaction, where the WH40K universe and species are combined with the SWU as a whole, not piecemeal. The best way to keep the whole mess of different races vibrant and alive and interesting is by letting them interact and fight with each other, so that this dysfunctional community is something that SWU characters can stumble onto somehow. The Sith Lords shouldn't be cut off; they should be constantly at war with their neighbors, who also tend to be constantly at war with each other. There should be a laundry list of atrocities and horrors that they have inflicted that makes them genuinely hated and feared, not some unknown hidden Sith Lords (that's the ultimate SW cliche right there).

ZzaphodD wrote:
Daemons: Large creatures altered by sith alchemy and possessed by Sith spirits? Imortality in a twisted way.
Sith Lords also heavily twisted by Alchemy to booster abilities (instead of mutations).
How would the Emperor (SW) react to this if he knew? He would probably see a threat to his reign and try to kill anyone coming out of there.

All excellent ideas, and the Emperor would probably flip his lid if he knew about it. It all depends on the era in which you plan to game. My version would be post Dark Empire, so it would mostly be Republic Scouts pushing into the Unknown Regions and finding this stuff. Populating the Unknown Regions with the horrors of WH40K would certainly give meaning to the Chiss claim of a hundred terrible threats in the Unknown Regions.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking that the 'only way to navigate within this cluster (and also in and out) is by use of Navigators. Navigators are really force users that have specialized in a version of Instinct Astrogation. Navigation difficulties are so high that the area has been written of as impossible to navigate.

Im not really interested in having the whole 40K concept lifted into my SW universe. I will use different ideas where I feel they fit in. Squats and Eltharins have already found a place. The 'chaos'/Sith idea will perhaps get this setting, probably close to the 'Imperium' area of space (which dont need to be this cut off from the galaxy, but more backwards, isolationist and xenophobic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im thinking that the 'only way to navigate within this cluster (and also in and out) is by use of Navigators. Navigators are really force users that have specialized in a version of Instinct Astrogation. Navigation difficulties are so high that the area has been written of as impossible to navigate.

Im not really interested in having the whole 40K concept lifted into my SW universe. I will use different ideas where I feel they fit in. Squats and Eltharins have already found a place. The 'chaos'/Sith idea will perhaps get this setting, probably close to the 'Imperium' area of space (which dont need to be this cut off from the galaxy, but more backwards, isolationist and xenophobic.

<shrug> Well, to each there own, I guess. I'll be working on my version.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Dont you fix that with skills? Remember that WFB/40K/WFRP mixes up skill and racial abilities in the statline. If GW thinks that orks are always good fighters, but average shooters then the conversion should mean avearge Dex but with a skill bonus to melee/brawling. Much like Gamorreans, SW:s 'Orks' (Not to mention the Gamorks Laughing )

My players are Orks so while I can lower the racial maximum for Dexterity I can't do too much to stop them pumping points into firearm type skills.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Dont you fix that with skills? Remember that WFB/40K/WFRP mixes up skill and racial abilities in the statline. If GW thinks that orks are always good fighters, but average shooters then the conversion should mean avearge Dex but with a skill bonus to melee/brawling. Much like Gamorreans, SW:s 'Orks' (Not to mention the Gamorks Laughing )

My players are Orks so while I can lower the racial maximum for Desterity I can't do too much to stop them pumping points into firearm type skills.

Ok, then let them.

Make Melee/Brawling cheaper to buy, and ranged combat skills more expensive. Another idea is to give the Orks a 1D bonus to close combat, and a -1D penalty to ranged. They can still pump points into ranged skills but each pip in effect costs one CP more than normal skills and two CPs more than a melee skill.

Also remember that in SW D6 combat skills are often relative in the sense that a low skill will make you hit nothing against certain enemies. In 40K (and also the RPG) having a low skill will lower you chances of hitting but your opponent cant block your chance of hitting totally. Hence, in 40K a Warboss can have a lower than average human BS and still get to hit sometimes, but in SW D6 the Warboss could only really shoot rank and file troopers.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doing something similar to that.

Ork characters pay double points for any firearms type skills but only half points for any close combat skills. This is because an Orks natural tendancies are more close combat focussed and learning how to use a gun is often an afterthought.

I also made most Ork weapons inaccurate so when you're using them you only get to use your firearms skill not Dexterity + Firearms (like it was an advanced skill).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Also remember that in SW D6 combat skills are often relative in the sense that a low skill will make you hit nothing against certain enemies. In 40K (and also the RPG) having a low skill will lower you chances of hitting but your opponent cant block your chance of hitting totally. Hence, in 40K a Warboss can have a lower than average human BS and still get to hit sometimes, but in SW D6 the Warboss could only really shoot rank and file troopers.

This could tie in with the Ork preference for automatic weapons; the more rounds you pump out, the more likely you are to hit something (especially if you use your automatic fire rules).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever considered how the various race gods of the WH40K universe would translate into a SW crossover? In the SWU, religion is relatively generalized under the aegis of the Force, and there is little or no mention of gods or deities. I'm tempted to go the Stargate route and make the gods survivors of highly advanced alien races, who either are mistaken for gods or deliberately pass themselves off as gods to their subject races, but I'd like some input.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see it's quite possible to work the etherium/warp into the Staw Wars universe as a form of The Force

By doing so you then convert the Warp Gods (The God Emperor, Nurgle, Mork etc...) into Force Focal points that have a lot of the characteristics of flesh and blood beings rather than needing them to be a race/species in and of themselves.

The 40K gods are all aspects of something amplified to the point where they take on a life of their own so I feel making them an actual being which can then encompass more than just the distilled desires and whims that spawned it somehow cheapens them.

However I'm no 40K theologian and most of my research has been to make Orkish psychic powers work in my homebrew game or to make convincing Chaos deamons so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Has anyone ever considered how the various race gods of the WH40K universe would translate into a SW crossover? In the SWU, religion is relatively generalized under the aegis of the Force, and there is little or no mention of gods or deities. I'm tempted to go the Stargate route and make the gods survivors of highly advanced alien races, who either are mistaken for gods or deliberately pass themselves off as gods to their subject races, but I'd like some input.

I don't know anything about WH401K, but in my Star Wars universe there are powerful energy beings who are worshipped as deities by some. They are the few surviving members of the ancient Celestials who have evolved over the millenia into a new form of existance.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't know anything about WH401K, but in my Star Wars universe there are powerful energy beings who are worshipped as deities by some. They are the few surviving members of the ancient Celestials who have evolved over the millenia into a new form of existance.

That could tie in with the WH40K legends of the Necrontyr and the Old Ones...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the Fractalsponge Discord had an interesting idea for a WH40K Crossover in the Pius Dea Republic, a violent, humanocentric religious group that existed around ~12,000 years BBY. Per their background, they engaged in multiple crusades against alien races and sympathizers, and were known to use "Cathedral Ships". They were ultimately sabotaged by the BoSS, who inserted a rogue code into the navcomputers of the cathedral ships, leaving them all stranded in deep space with non functioning nav-comps.

Since the Imperium is pretty blatantly religious and xenophobic (to the point where their star ships literally look like flying cathedrals), all it would take is a little fudging to have the ships end up in the Unknown Regions somewhere, with no way to return to the rest of the galaxy. As such, they form their own enclave, rebuild their own distinct human culture (with all the trappings of the Imperium of Man) out in the Unknown Regions.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

In my c.25-29 ABY Mercenaries campaign, i had to adapt the Kamael (fallen angel race) from the fantasy MMO Lineage 2, but i didn't want to introduce all the fantasy races from the race's history, so i modified it, substituting WH40K races & factions, which solved the backstory problems & allowed me to introduce some new exotic tech.
I had them all in the Unknown Regions.

I didn't have an exact system for converting 40k to D6, i just used the relative differences in the 40k stats to guesstimate where they'd be in D6.
I gave the Kamael access to a mix of Necron, Imperium, Eldar & Tau tech.
For his ship, he had a newer CEC ship, YV or VCX-something, & we modified the hell out of it, adding Necron & Eldar weapons, FTLs & sensors.

After i catch up on house work, i'll make a new thread to figure out a better conversion system. It seems i've started making D6 stats for the Necron Monolith years ago but never finished.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic Necrons could probably just be a reskinned assassin droid of some sort with a self repair mechanism.

The weapons and their flaying characteristics could probably be represented with some sort of wild dice mechanic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: