The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Weapon Type Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Weapon Type Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to finding out the unique trait for Slugthrowers. They're apparently pretty good jedi-slayers.

Also, if anyone can confirm if this is the case, are slugthrowers able to pierce energy shields more easily or less easily?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Energy shields equally defend against energy and physical damage, so I don't know why slugthrowers would be special as far as physical damage goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lecher000 wrote:
Finally got around to finding out the unique trait for Slugthrowers. They're apparently pretty good jedi-slayers.

Also, if anyone can confirm if this is the case, are slugthrowers able to pierce energy shields more easily or less easily?

You could potentially design a slug that's tailored to penetrate shields; there's a bullet like that in WH40K, and it wouldn't be hard to port over as an ammo option for bolters, which I linked in your other topic. Of course, in WH40K, it's only available as part of the arsenal or the Eversor Assassin snipers, and isn't technically described as a bolt (even though it meets a lot of the other criteria).

Speaking of, another fun option for Exetus weapon bullets is that they auto-consume after firing, basically melting away into nothing a short time after they've hit their target.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Energy shields equally defend against energy and physical damage, so I don't know why slugthrowers would be special as far as physical damage goes.

I looked it up and apparently there's 3 different kinds; Ray shields, Particle shields, and Concussion shields.

Particle shields and Concussion shields seem to be the ones responsible for blocking out physical objects, as Ray shields just absorb/dissipate energy. I just checked some of the portable shield items and they seem to already state which damage types they protect from so I may as well just ignore that.

SIDENOTE; Updated cortosis weaved weaponry. It does not short out lightsabers due to its limited concentration, and the manufacturing process degrading its shorting effect.

Last edited by lecher000 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
lecher000 wrote:

You could potentially design a slug that's tailored to penetrate shields; there's a bullet like that in WH40K, and it wouldn't be hard to port over as an ammo option for bolters, which I linked in your other topic. Of course, in WH40K, it's only available as part of the arsenal or the Eversor Assassin snipers, and isn't technically described as a bolt (even though it meets a lot of the other criteria).

Speaking of, another fun option for Exetus weapon bullets is that they auto-consume after firing, basically melting away into nothing a short time after they've hit their target.

I'll add it to my Alternate Ammo list.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lecher000 wrote:
I looked it up and apparently there's 3 different kinds; Ray shields, Particle shields, and Concussion shields.

The RAW gets somewhat contradictory here, particularly with Particle Shields. By their descriptions, Particle Shields only work against matter, not energy, but by their actual rules (specifically, "if particle shields are deactivated, reduce Hull by 2D"), they function against all forms of damage. Also, at no point in the description of energy shields or missiles, bombs & proton torpedoes does it explicitly state that shields don't function against missiles, bombs & proton torpedoes.

And technically, ships in the films are equipped with Deflectors, not Ray Shields; Ray Shields are only used once in the classic trilogy, and are only seen in use in RotS where they clearly work just fine against physical objects. In all other instances, they are referred to as Deflectors, Deflector Shields, Deflector Screens, etc.

For my own purposes, I treat a ship's Shields rating as Deflectors (projected a short distance from the ship's hull, and steerable to provide variable protection based on the primary threat-arc), and particle shields and concussion shielding as part of the various energy systems that support and sustain the ship's physical structure, coterminous with the hull,

Quote:
SIDENOTE; Updated cortosis weaved weaponry. It does not short out lightsabers due to its limited concentration, and the manufacturing process degrading its shorting effect.

Correct. Only unrefined Cortosis has the short-out effect, and it is relatively brittle, and thus not suitable for use as a weapon. Most applications of it appear to be as an outer layer of armor or a barrier to prevent penetration by lightsaber-equipped intruders (see the Hand of Thrawn trilogy).

It's also unlikely that a bullet composed entirely of Cortosis would survive being fired down the barrel of a gun, much less have anything like a normal bullet's penetration on impact. Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of firearms, I suggest making cortosis-tipped bullets, such as taking hollow-points and filling in the tip with cortosis. That way, any direct parry with a lightsaber would short out the saber, while any impacts would still have the mushrooming effect on impact of standard hollow-points.

You could also mix cortosis pellets in with a shotgun shell, which would already be hard enough for a Jedi to parry...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
lecher000 wrote:

The RAW gets somewhat contradictory here, particularly with Particle Shields. By their descriptions, Particle Shields only work against matter, not energy, but by their actual rules (specifically, "if particle shields are deactivated, reduce Hull by 2D"), they function against all forms of damage. Also, at no point in the description of energy shields or missiles, bombs & proton torpedoes does it explicitly state that shields don't function against missiles, bombs & proton torpedoes.

Actually, R&E fluff isn't outright contradictory. It just indicates particle shields work against matter. It doesn't state "only" matter. And as you correctly point out, mechanically, both particle and energy shields do work against both matter and energy.

The main takeaway is that particle shields cover the entire ship and normally operate all the time whenever the main power generator is operational, which means that handles the mundane things atmospheric friction and micrometeors. A ship's own energy weapons can shoot out through both kinds of shields, and normally the only time the particle shield has to be lowered is to launch carried craft or shoot torpedos and missiles. Energy/ray shields (deflectors) are normally only used in combat, and they can be angled to different arcs.

CRMcNeill wrote:
And technically, ships in the films are equipped with Deflectors, not Ray Shields; Ray Shields are only used once in the classic trilogy, and are only seen in use in RotS where they clearly work just fine against physical objects. In all other instances, they are referred to as Deflectors, Deflector Shields, Deflector Screens, etc.

For my own purposes, I treat a ship's Shields rating as Deflectors (projected a short distance from the ship's hull, and steerable to provide variable protection based on the primary threat-arc), and particle shields and concussion shielding as part of the various energy systems that support and sustain the ship's physical structure, coterminous with the hull

Right on. "Concussion shield" is just another name for particle shield.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: