The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating Offensive Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updating Offensive Force Powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Updating Offensive Force Powers Reply with quote

So, when I was writing up the Willpower rule, I noticed an interesting problem; none of the "Force Attack" powers have an Alter Difficulty. You just roll against the target's Control or Perception (leaving aside for the moment why a character would be rolling Perception to resist damage, as opposed to Strength).

I've long felt that many Force powers need a re-write. In this case, the re-write I'm considering is:
    1) Give all of these powers an Alter Difficulty.

2) The Damage roll is equal to whatever value by which the character's Alter roll beat the Difficulty. If a power has an Alter Difficulty of Easy, and the character rolls a 19, the difference is 9, so the attack inflicts 9 points of damage.

3) Targets resist with their Strength dice, just like any other attack.
. It'd take some re-writing, but I see it making a decent nerf for some of the more spectacular Force powers like TK Kill and Force Lightning.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the other powers that you see needing an Alter component added?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What are the other powers that you see needing an Alter component added?

Off the top of my head, Injure/Kill, Telekinesis, Force Lightning and TK Kill are the four that really sparked the idea. But ultimately, any power whose description says that it inflicts damage of some kind, so a lot of the Dark Side Powers are on the table.

The rule might need to be tweaked for Telekinesis, due to the mass of the object, but the damage roll could be considered an aggregate of both the object's mass and the speed at which it can be moved; smaller objects can be propelled faster than larger.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had misunderstood your post. Those all do have Alter difficulties, but I see now that you mean that the target's Control or Perception (the current basis for the difficulty) should be replaced by an Alter difficulty of a different basis, for the sake of the mechanic you suggest to calculate damage. Got it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: