The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jetpacks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Jetpacks Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Emergency Deceleration Harness Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That makes sense. My only suggestion would be that there should be a test phase during the initial stages of the drop where the repulsorlift kicks in enough to let the user know that it's working and give them a chance to fix it or activate a backup before it hits the ground.

If you are already falling and something is wrong with the EDH, the only way to activate a backup would be if you had already grabbed an extra harness on your way out. That doesn't seem too likely to ever happen in an emergency situation. And even if you did have two, they could both activate and save you just the same that one could, or one could fail and you would have the other to save you, all without any testing.

I imagine that there is a readout on it that you can press a button to see which says "online" or "offline." It would make sense to check before strapping one on. Then you activate it and fall, and it starts scanning for the ground to know when to start the deceleration.

And if falling from a great height with one and it goes offline, that could be a very exciting scene to jury rig it mid-fall and get it to work in time!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Deceleration Harness Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And if falling from a great height with one and it goes offline, that could be a very exciting scene to jury rig it mid-fall and get it to work in time!

Exactly! Always better to give the character a potential way out of an ignominious end and save certain death for the heroic moments.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jamz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I recall you mentioning the use of non-D6 dice in the ammo discussion I linked above. I can see the same system working with D6 dice by increasing the Difficulty 1 step for every Wild Dice result, then give the packs a D rating with which to roll against it.

Say a jet pack has a Fuel rating of 1D, with Difficulty starting at 0. The jet pack operator gets a Wild 1, but since the Difficulty is 0, it's an automatic success. However, the Difficulty for the next roll is increased to 5, which the pack has only a 1/3 chance of tieing or beating.

Another way would be to just use a usual die for tracking consumption. Each equipment has its own maximum charge value. Whenever a 1 is rolled on the Wild Die, you just reduce it by 1. If it is 0, it is empty.

And regarding the volatile nature of jet packs: this might be an in-game-explanation why Mandos use them. Encased in blasterproof beskar they might be even more usable.

Personally I think jet packs are cool, but they are a signature equipment. So maybe the characters must spend character points towards acquiring or upgrading them as with spaceships in the 1E-rules. Maybe this would be a better system for character progression than letting them get 7 or more skill dice anyway.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas. And welcome back to the land of the living, jamz!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a jet pack, meant to limited flight often in stages, it is perfectly sensible to calculate or rather keep track of fule charges.

We have the notion of unlimited fule, ammo and more, yet nothing in the movies, the lore or the rules even support his.

Blasters have power packs, call them magazines, once the power pack is depeleted you ahve a club.

Starships, have fuel, they refule and have limited operational durability, some longer than others but none are eternal.

As to a jet pack, I don't see the need to micro manage fule consumption, but rater how many uses until you need to refuel.

I mean we have roll for fixing starships, they break, but hey lets make them unbreable becuse it is easier to not worry about it?

I say lets have charges, you can use the jet pack 10 times, then you need to refule or recharge.

I actually use limited shots for blasters, generally 50-100 pr pack, with some significantly less and some significantly more, just like magazines.

However generall the amount of ammo used doesn't matter, I seldom shoot 100 times douring a mission, and sometimes it is safe to take the down time for granted that a some consious to what they are doing will replenish between missions.

So to me if the mission made me use the jet pack 5 times and I fired 78 times form my blaster rifle, this is not calculated, as next mission (normally) I have replenished, reloaded and recharged ready to go.

so yes it does matter sometimes how much fuel, charges or what not, but in general you never reach the threshold.

But yes I fully would see and accept and see it reasoble to have charges with a jet pack, maybe 10 or 6 or 12 or what ever, but limited as it is and should be
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Deceleration Harness Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

What roll would they be making to 'jury rig it'?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamz wrote:
Another way would be to just use a usual die for tracking consumption. Each equipment has its own maximum charge value. Whenever a 1 is rolled on the Wild Die, you just reduce it by 1. If it is 0, it is empty.

I can see that working well for things like ammo, but there's a cinematic aspect that I want to incorporate into things like fuel. Short version: I want to have more dire results based on the roll, such as, if the roll goes over by 5 points or less, have the result as "Getting Low", so the character has 1D rounds of fuel before he runs out, but if it goes over by more than 5, you get a "Fuel Critical", with 1 round left, or maybe even an "Out of Fuel" result where the pack straight-up dies in mid-air.

However, I don't know if the cinematic approach would work as well for something as mundane as ammo, and you version sounds slightly more streamlined. Both systems could be used side-by-side, depending on what you want to use them for...

Quote:
And regarding the volatile nature of jet packs: this might be an in-game-explanation why Mandos use them. Encased in blasterproof beskar they might be even more usable.

Considering how rare and expensive beskar appears to be in-universe, I suspect it's a rare (and high ranking) Mandalorian who has managed to get his jet pack made out of it. IMO, the real defense would be something that small (relative to other vehicles) moving at vehicle speeds.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Deceleration Harness Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

What roll would they be making to 'jury rig it'?

Since it uses repulsorlift technology, I would say repulsorlift repair.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jamz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Thanks, Whill, it's good to be here!

Did we discuss repulsor-jetpacks? If you can grab a flying droid and fly with him, repulsor technology would be usable as a backpack. And it wouldn't have the fuel problems, as I think these droids dont have to recharge every hour.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamz wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks, Whill, it's good to be here!

Did we discuss repulsor-jetpacks? If you can grab a flying droid and fly with him, repulsor technology would be usable as a backpack. And it wouldn't have the fuel problems, as I think these droids dont have to recharge every hour.

We did on the Page 4 of this thread and elsewhere. Instead of RAW's jet/rocket differentiation, a better broad categorization for these things would be jump packs and flight packs. Both jump and flight could have jet or rocket tech for the thrust, so the division is based on function.

Jump packs only provide short thrusts (for large jumps) and not sustained flight, while flight packs actually fly, including the ability to hover. Some of us reasoned that repulsorlift tech is what provides the lift on flight packs, and it is the jet or rocket tech that provides the trust. For me, flight packs would run out of fuel too fast if not for repulsorlift tech.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if repulsorlifts were incorporated into all jet packs (similar to our discussion elsewhere on ornithopters) to take a lot of the strain off of the jet/rocket/whatever.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if repulsorlifts were incorporated into all jet packs (similar to our discussion elsewhere on ornithopters) to take a lot of the strain off of the jet/rocket/whatever.

My issue with sustained flight was always the fuel component, and repulsorlift technology provides that particular disbelief suspension. Personally, I am ok with a jump pack just having a certain number of charges for use and jet/rocket tech only. With jump packs, there isn't any hovering or sustained flight, so repulsorlift doesn't seem as necessary as it is for flight packs. For me, the absence or presence of repulsorlift seems like a suitable divide between the two types of packs. YMMV.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For me, the absence or presence of repulsorlift seems like a suitable divide between the two types of packs. YMMV.

That's fair. I was mostly thinking in terms of repulsorlift being a likely explanation for how seemingly fuel-efficient flight packs are relative to their size. If repulsors are doing most of the heavy lifting, the pack won't have to burn nearly as much fuel to do what the pack is seen doing. And repulsorlifts are a known, established quantity in-universe, as opposed to trying to handwave some sort of ultra-efficient jet pack fuel.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unreasonable for jump packs to also use repulsorlift tech. It's just not as necessary as it is for flight packs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: