The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses Reply with quote

Per the Rulebook, Darkness and/or Smoke/Dust generates penalties to Perception. Considering the context, the fact that no other sense methods are mentioned makes sense, but I'm considering applying similar penalties to other "ranged" sense, specifically hearing and smell.

Any thoughts as to what sound/smell levels would be good descriptors for the penalty levels? For reference, here are the Concealment modifiers for Sight:
    Light Smoke = +1D
    Thick Smoke = +2D
    Very Thick Smoke = +4D
    Poor Light = +1D
    Moonlit Night = +2D
    Complete Darkness = +4D

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Per the Rulebook, Darkness and/or Smoke/Dust generates penalties to Perception. Considering the context, the fact that no other sense methods are mentioned makes sense, but I'm considering applying similar penalties to other "ranged" sense, specifically hearing and smell.

Any thoughts as to what sound/smell levels would be good descriptors for the penalty levels? For reference, here are the Concealment modifiers for Sight

Not sure about actual names for the three levels of concealment, but they follow the cover modifiers. So those would be the benchmarks to work from:

¼ covered: +1D
½ covered: +2D
¾ covered: +4D
Fully covered: The attacker cannot hit the target directly; attacker must eliminate the cover.

Some ranges might be a good place to set some benchmarks as well. Doing some research, an average human can hear things up to 180m and see things up 4.8km without obstructions.

Vision:
0-150 meters/Very Easy
300 meters/Easy
600 meters/Moderate
1200 meters/Difficult
2400 meters/Very Difficult
4800 meters/Heroic

Hearing:
0-3 meters/Very Easy
10 meters/Easy
30 meters/Moderate
45 meters/Difficult
90 meters/Very Difficult
180 meters/Heroic

Smell:
0-10 meters/Very Easy
25 meters/Easy
50 meters/Moderate
75 meters/Difficult
100 meters/Very Difficult
150 meters/Heroic
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Any thoughts as to what sound/smell levels would be good descriptors for the penalty levels? For reference, here are the Concealment modifiers for Sight:
    Light Smoke = +1D
    Thick Smoke = +2D
    Very Thick Smoke = +4D
    Poor Light = +1D
    Moonlit Night = +2D
    Complete Darkness = +4D

Well, let's see. For hearing, i could see it;
small crowd would be akin to light smoke
Large crowd would be akin to thick smoke
something like attending a concert, trying to hear something 100 yards away, would be a mix of complete darkness/thick smoke, so -8d..
Average blaster fight -2d
heavy blaster fight (ie more than 10 participants) -3d
Gratuitious fight (hundreds of folk, -5d

For smell, i'm not sure..

Quote:
Some ranges might be a good place to set some benchmarks as well. Doing some research, an average human can hear things up to 180m and see things up 4.8km without obstructions.

That depends o where they are.. Someone standing on the ground, as per my navy training, could at least, see somehting out to maybe 1.2k, make out shapes at around 700 meters, and identify at at most 200 meters.
The higher up they are, say standing atop a 5 story building, adds to the distances, they can detect someone, but not to the 'make shapes/identify' ranges..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Concealment Modifiers for Other Senses Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Any thoughts as to what sound/smell levels would be good descriptors for the penalty levels? For reference, here are the Concealment modifiers for Sight

Not sure about actual names for the three levels of concealment, but they follow the cover modifiers. So those would be the benchmarks to work from:

¼ covered: +1D
½ covered: +2D
¾ covered: +4D
Fully covered: The attacker cannot hit the target directly; attacker must eliminate the cover.

This would be my metric, definitely. It can be a judgement call (except for the ranges that I elided from womprat's post), but it's a good benchmark to work with.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smell is interesting.

One time I walked into an essential oils mixing lab. It was a wall of odor but so confusing I couldn't sort them out.

Then there is skunk one smell so strong it overwhelms everything else.

Once thing with smell is time passage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Smell is the easiest sense, imo to get overwhelmed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I came across something relevant that I worked up as part of a re-write for the Magnify Senses Force Power:
    Sound:
    Very Easy - A normal conversation
    Easy - Normal movement, such as a person walking, but not speaking.
    Moderate - Quiet movement (a blaster or knife being drawn, a door lock being picked)
    Difficult - A person breathing normally
    Heroic - A human heartbeat

Scent:
    Very Easy - Strong or well-known odor
    Easy - Noticeable or familiar odor
    Difficult - Faint or non-specific odor
    Heroic - Odor is almost nonexistent or personally unknown to the character.

Note: In an open environment, scent fades over time. The base difficulty of a scent increases by +D6 for every hour that has passed since the scent was left. Scents in a sealed environment, such as a closed room, degrade more slowly (+1 for every hour passed). On a successful roll, the character can estimate the age of the scent.

Tracking by scent is beyond the capacity of normal human senses. Other species with scent-specific senses may have the ability to track someone by scent, but that will have to be decided on a case by case basis with your GM.

Modifiers:
    Distance:
    +0 - Close range (in the same room or immediate area)
    +10 - Moderately far away (Down the block or across the parking lot, within 100 meters)
    +20 - Very far away (Can barely be seen with normal human senses, several hundred meters away, up to a full kilometer
    +30 - Extreme distances (several kilometers)
    Interference:
    +0 - Minimal (Open field / quiet room / unused area with few scents)
    +5 - Noticeable (Walking in a light crowd / coffee shop, cafe or other moderately populated place)
    +10 - Dominant (Large crowd or a dimly lit room / crowded club, etc.)
    +20 - Overpowering (Rock concert mosh pit, in the middle of a blaster fight, trying to pick out a specific scent in a garbage dump, etc.)
This is intended as expansion of the Difficulty chart for the Search skill, which is primarily geared toward sight-based detection.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: