The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> My House Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_76
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: My House Rules Reply with quote

Hello one and all! I'm new (again) to these boards.....I first found this awesome site (shout out to everyone on here who keeps it alive!) about 10 years ago, but due to many RL things happening (I went on shift work for awhile, my work site changed and oh yeah, I had a kid!), I haven't been on here in a long time, but recently I've got more time....I've started a D6 Star Wars game (my all time favorite RPG and system), that is currently running thru the Dark Stryder Campaign.....and rediscovered this gem of a site!

So....as the topic states, I wanted to throw out some of the house rules I use and see if anyone else used similar rules....

I mostly use the 1E rule set with a few minor changes....like...

-I have a simple Scale System....in essence, it's +/-4D and +/-10. What does that mean? I basically use 3 different Scales.....Personal (basically about 2 meters or smaller), Vehicle (basically about 2-100 meters) and Capital (100+ meters). I make exceptions for REALLY rare things like the Death Star....but how often does THAT come up? (I know, I know...EVERY OTHER MOVIE!...but hush! Smile )

So, a Blaster Rifle that does 5D in personal damage takes a -4D when shooting at Vehicles and does 1D damage to them. It basically does NOTHING to a Captial Scale target....but if there's something like "I'm trying to knock out the comms antennae" or something of that nature, I'd allow it as a GM.

Also, when something smaller shoots at something bigger, they get +10 to hit it.

This process is reversed when going the other way.....i.e. a Capital Scale Turbolaser that does 5D damage in Capital Scale damage would do 9D damage to Vehicles and 13D in Personal Scale (which REALLY shouldn't be needed, but you never know)......but that Capital ship would take a -10 to their attack roll to hit a Vehicle Scale Target (hey, the Falcon had to survive SOMEHOW when being shot at by all those Star Destroyers!)

That's pretty much my Scaling system.....it DOES require a bit of a check on some weapons.....like I don't have Turbolasers that do 7D Capital Scale Damage or Vehicle Blasters that do 1D damage.....but it works for me.

Some of my other house rules......Force Powers all fall under just ONE of the Skills. The Power is either a Control Power, a Skill Power or an Alter Power....no more of the silly "I made my Control roll, Yay!......I failed my Sense roll....boooo"

Also, Lightsabers do NOT go up in damage....they have a base 6D....and a Jedi can LOWER this number by an amount up to h is CONTROL skill dice if he/she so chooses (i.e. CON of 3D they can have the Lightsaber do anywhere from 3D to 6D in damage)...but they don't get to make it do 9D damage.

Some others.....I use a PER roll for Initiative.....with low rolls declaring their actions first.....the high roll declares last....and then things HAPPEN in High roll to Low roll order (with Reaction Skills like Dodge or Evade, etc. always going before any other actions).....and ties happen at the same time....the PCs in general get to declare acations AFTER the NPCs declare their actions....unless it's a REALLY important NPC....then it's a quick roll off.

Also, I tend to make most Vehicle Dice rolls be somewhere between +1 to +2D to the appropriate skill roll (i.e. Fire Control might be +1D+1 or Speed might be +2 to add to Gunnery or Piloting, etc.) as a way to reduce the 'Buckets of Dice" syndrome that Space Combat tends to be.

Finally, I have Force Points be a flat +3D to any actions in a round, again as a way to reduce buckets of dice when Force Points are spent.

Just thought I'd share and thanks again for this great site!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My House Rules Reply with quote

Matt_76, welcome back! Thanks for sharing your house rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
Matt_76
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my scale rules extrapolated from 1e, posted a while back.

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7517&highlight=scale
Matt_76
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, I always used the 'double' rule for a long time (I"m a big 1E fan, not so much of 2E)....but I NEVER liked the Dice Caps stuff.....my main issue came with some of the stuff brought up here......Fighters against Capital Ships; Personal weapons against Vehicles, etc., etc.

Hence, my 'solution' of +/- 4D and +/-10 on the Difficulty number to Hit. I find it works well.....so long as the scale of personal weapons is something like:

4D-6D: Personal Blasters

6D: Light Repeat Blasters

7D: Heavy Repeat Blasters & Grenades (I have 'nades doing 7D/5D/3D)

8D: Rockets & Thermal Detonators

....I have vehicle Lasers doing 4D (Light Laser), 4D+2 (Medium Laser) and 5D (Heavy Laser) with each extra 'fire-linked' weapon adding +1 pip of damage; so Twin Medium Lasers (like on a TIE or Y-Wing or A-Wing) do 5D damage; 4 Linked Heavy Lasers would do 6D damage (like an X-Wing or TIE Interceptor), etc.

I have Turbo Lasers doing 7D-8D (Vehicle Scale or 3D-4D Capital Scale)

Concussion Missiles/Bombs do 8D (Vehicle Scale)

Proton Torps do 9D (5D Capital Scale)

I find this works pretty nicely.....just gotta watch out for a few weapons here and there as written.....and scale them up/down....like the ridiculous 1D or 1D+2 damage weapons in Star Wars Galaxy Guide 6; or the 7D Capital Scale Heavy Turbolasers, etc.

Works for me anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: