The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Am I reading the rules correctly?

To activate lightsaber combat you have to make a moderate Control roll and an Easy Sense roll. Since it is two actions if you activate it on the same round 1) You take a -1D penalty to both actions and 2) If an opponent shoots you as their first action you can't use lightsaber to deflect as the power is not active yet. In addition once it is up keeping it up counts as 2 actions.

That being said I don't see any way a starting character can reliably use the power. My understanding is the highest you can start with your Force Skills is 3D.
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also while keeping a power up can you take full reactions?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
To activate lightsaber combat you have to make a moderate Control roll and an Easy Sense roll. Since it is two actions if you activate it on the same round 1) You take a -1D penalty to both actions and 2) If an opponent shoots you as their first action you can't use lightsaber to deflect as the power is not active yet. In addition once it is up keeping it up counts as 2 actions.

That being said I don't see any way a starting character can reliably use the power. My understanding is the highest you can start with your Force Skills is 3D.

Yes, it is difficult for starting Force PCs in RAW to be any good at lightsaber combat. But RAW can be changed, as we have discussed in many threads here.

Alastor04 wrote:

I would probably allow a full reaction blaster bolt deflection if that's all they did in a round (no redirects) but they would still be suffering from the MAP of holding the power up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
Am I reading the rules correctly?

That is correct. Normally a pc starting out say, with the young jedi, or minor force user templates, won't really be having LS combat up. Unless he pops off a FP in the round he wishes to BRING LS combat up (or spends character points)..

Quote:

Yes. Maintaining powers, are NOT the same as "you cannot take additional actions when you go full defensive"...
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Alastor04 wrote:

Yes, it is difficult for starting Force PCs in RAW to be any good at lightsaber combat. But RAW can be changed, as we have discussed in many threads here.

Related to this, I removed the Force Skills as 'actions' part for Force powers, only the powers themseves count toward Multiple Action Penalties.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Related to this, I removed the Force Skills as 'actions' part for Force powers, only the powers themseves count toward Multiple Action Penalties.

That's reasonable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:

Can you define that more?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Xain Arke wrote:

Can you define that more?

He can speak for himself, but I thought he meant that for MAP calculation purposes, each power only counts as one action, so it is not a MAP for each Force skill that was a part of that power.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So using a three powered force skill, is just the same as using a one power skill?
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
He can speak for himself, but I thought he meant that for MAP calculation purposes, each power only counts as one action, so it is not a MAP for each Force skill that was a part of that power.

Yeah, what Whill said

garhkal wrote:
So using a three powered force skill, is just the same as using a one power skill?

Yes, except that you have to make more difficulty rolls. I started doing it just to simplify things, it works fine in games for my group,
it might not work for everyone though.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, bring up Combat Sense to get +2D to all offensive and defensive roles for ten rounds.

Then bring up Lightsaber Combat. The +2D from Combat Sense negates the cost of keeping up Lightsaber Combat.

As a starting character with a max Sense and Control of 3D, this is going to be challenging, but far from impossible. You will likely want to use multiple rounds or character points to get everything working just right. Once everything is working though, your Jedi player will be a combat superstar and should be able to deal with any issues before combat sense wears off.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
First, bring up Combat Sense to get +2D to all offensive and defensive roles for ten rounds.

Then bring up Lightsaber Combat. The +2D from Combat Sense negates the cost of keeping up Lightsaber Combat.

As a starting character with a max Sense and Control of 3D, this is going to be challenging, but far from impossible. You will likely want to use multiple rounds or character points to get everything working just right. Once everything is working though, your Jedi player will be a combat superstar and should be able to deal with any issues before combat sense wears off.

IIRC, combat sense does not MAP any other rolls, to boot!
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Kytross wrote:

IIRC, combat sense does not MAP any other rolls, to boot!

Exactly!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though if fighting an enemy who also has combat sense, you have to activate it against each other, so depending on how strong HIS sense skill is, you may not succeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: