The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skills you cannot use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skills you cannot use Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For some reason that makes me think of Flintstone cars with the wide wheels. "Impeller fields" are probably not the most fantastic impossible technology in Star Wars.

If it helps, picture it as tractor beam tech that locks onto the ground and pulls the vehicle along.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
For some reason that makes me think of Flintstone cars with the wide wheels. "Impeller fields" are probably not the most fantastic impossible technology in Star Wars.

If it helps, picture it as tractor beam tech that locks onto the ground and pulls the vehicle along.

I remember you saying that before. That doesn't help me as much because I kept thinking of loose gravel and sand being pulled back up to the speeder instead of the speeder being pulled forward.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yes, for low flight ceiling repulsorlifts, you have bikes and landspeeders, for higher flying ones you have swoops and airspeeders. They all use repulsorlift technology even if they have other tech for thrust.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that part, too. It would make sense that if airspeeders use repulsorlift operation skill, then swoops could, too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
It would make sense that if airspeeders use repulsorlift operation skill, then swoops could, too.

That's part of why I split Repulsorlift Op into Landspeeder Op and Airspeeder Op.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
As I pointed out in a similar topic back in 2015, The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook p.209 has a swoop that has a has a -3D unskilled penalty. But unlike the R&E example, it doesn't say you have to have a specialization of swoop operation for that swoop. It says that without the main swoop operation skill, the pilot has a -3D unskilled penalty. Due to all the fluff about swoops being difficult to control, my original interpretation was that it was saying all swoops had an unskilled penalty, but nothing comes out and actually says that.

At the time I made swoop operations an advanced skill, but since then I've changed my mind and just folded swoops into the repulsorlift operation skill. I think I may go in the direction of the R&E example and have all swoops have an unskilled penalty for the swoop specialization, starting at -1D for using the base repulsorlift operation skill.

Another possibility that occurred to me: we've discussed Skill Overlap before, where multiple skills might be appropriate to performing a given tasks. Perhaps rather than applying the RAW's Unskilled rule to specializations, apply it to overlapping skills. For instance, co-opting your swoop example, Swoop Operations would be a separate skill from Repulsorlift Operations, but it operates on similar principles. So, if a character wants to pilot a Swoop, and has dice in Repulsorlift Op, but not Swoop Op, he can use his Repulsorlift skill dice, but with a penalty applied because he doesn't have the specific skill.

It could be the same for Space Transports and Starfighter Piloting, as well...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
It would make sense that if airspeeders use repulsorlift operation skill, then swoops could, too.

That's part of why I split Repulsorlift Op into Landspeeder Op and Airspeeder Op.

I see it as the difference between driving a motorbike, vs flying a cessna..

CRMcNeill wrote:

Another possibility that occurred to me: we've discussed Skill Overlap before, where multiple skills might be appropriate to performing a given tasks. Perhaps rather than applying the RAW's Unskilled rule to specializations, apply it to overlapping skills. For instance, co-opting your swoop example, Swoop Operations would be a separate skill from Repulsorlift Operations, but it operates on similar principles. So, if a character wants to pilot a Swoop, and has dice in Repulsorlift Op, but not Swoop Op, he can use his Repulsorlift skill dice, but with a penalty applied because he doesn't have the specific skill.

I have done that before in some games.. Relatd skills but no dice in the actual skill, gives a +5 penalty.. IE fighter vs freighter..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Don't you also have a third skill, one that includes speeder bikes and swoops? Or do you fold bikes in with landspeeders, and swoops in with airspeeders?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Don't you also have a third skill, one that includes speeder bikes and swoops? Or do you fold bikes in with landspeeders, and swoops in with airspeeders?

I did, but that was before Solo, so I've conceptually folded Swoops into Airspeeders.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

CRMcNeill wrote:

Sure. I put catching things under the agility skill (dodge/running), but I also allow catching thrown object using the throwing skill at -2D. Active social awareness is the discernment skill, which includes detecting deceit. I also allow the con/deception skill to detect deceit at -2D. But those aren't skill/unskilled situations. It is just either/or, whichever is higher.

For swoops and other repulsorlifts, I prefer to keep them in the same general skill, along with flight packs which I've recently included. I also recombined space transports and starfighter piloting into a general spaceship operation skill, making capital ship operation an advanced skill. If someone flies fighters without any fighter experience, I'd probably just represent that with using the higher end of the difficulty range or even an unfamiliarity penalty at first.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: