The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adding weapons to vehicles in Second Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Adding weapons to vehicles in Second Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Adding weapons to vehicles in Second Edition Reply with quote

Are there rules for adding weapons to vehicles? I see rules for modifying existing weapons but what about adding a new weapon like a second gun Turret?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding weapons to vehicles in Second Edition Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
Are there rules for adding weapons to vehicles? I see rules for modifying existing weapons but what about adding a new weapon like a second gun Turret?

The rules in Tramp Freighters seem to be for replacing weapon systems with other weapon systems, with no mention of turrets. So I'm guessing we are into house rule territory with replacing non-turret weapons with turret weapons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

There is mention in the 1E Rules Companion (see pg. 30: Adding Weapons to Equipment) that adding a weapon to a Starfighter-Scale ship costs 6,000 credits, in addition to the cost of the weapon itself. It’s rather nondescriptive, but it could serve as a baseline for something more detailed.

EDIT: I knew I'd posted it here somewhere...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

There's also Fallon Kell's Complete Starship Pricing System which way have some ideas but you'd have to deal with emplacement points and stuff.

CRMcNeill wrote:
There is mention in the 1E Rules Companion (see pg. 30: Adding Weapons to Equipment) that adding a weapon to a Starfighter-Scale ship costs 6,000 credits, in addition to the cost of the weapon itself. It’s rather nondescriptive, but it could serve as a baseline for something more detailed.

EDIT: I knew I'd posted it here somewhere...

Nice. That is not a 2e RAW answer, but it is a 1.5e RAW answer that could be house ruled into 2e. I see you had some ideas in that thread too.

I'd probably charge at least $6,000 credits plus take away some cargo capacity to add a turret were there wasn't one before, and then there would still be the cost of the new weapon on top of that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That is not a 2e RAW answer, but it is a 1.5e RAW answer that could be house ruled into 2e.

Yup. Worth noting that Tramp Freighters left out critical values that should've been included to make the speculative trading mechanic work, too, so it's easy to just squint a little and slip the "6,000 credits" number in along with everything else.

Quote:
I see you had some ideas in that thread too.

I'd probably charge at least $6,000 credits plus take away some cargo capacity to add a turret were there wasn't one before, and then there would still be the cost of the new weapon on top of that.

Makes sense. I'd like to play around with it and come up with some more granular stuff, like different types of mounts with different fire arcs, retractable mounts, manual vs remote control, etc.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
That is not a 2e RAW answer, but it is a 1.5e RAW answer that could be house ruled into 2e.

Yup. Worth noting that Tramp Freighters left out critical values that should've been included to make the speculative trading mechanic work, too

What critical values? Are you referring to the missing charts from GG6 2e, or something else?

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Makes sense. I'd like to play around with it and come up with some more granular stuff, like different types of mounts with different fire arcs, retractable mounts, manual vs remote control, etc.

Looking forward to it to seeing what you come up with.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Though most vehicles don't have that much spare 'cargo' space, in the tons, like freighters do.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

Though most vehicles don't have that much spare 'cargo' space, in the tons, like freighters do.

I presumed the OP was talking about a space freighter for that reason.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: the speculative trading mechanic Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
What critical values? Are you referring to the missing charts from GG6 2e, or something else?

I was referring to the missing charts. Those charts contain numbers - values - that are critical to the function of the speculative trading system. If WEG could leave out one set of important numbers, they were certainly capable of doing it again.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: the speculative trading mechanics Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If WEG could leave out one set of important numbers, they were certainly capable of doing it again.

Sure, but this isn't quite the same situation. The charts which were present in GG6 1e were intended to appear in 2e, but got cut from 2e due to formatting errors. The Rules Companion came out in 1989 and the 1e GG6 came out in 1990. If anything, costs for adding turrets for weapons should have been included in the 1e version, and if they had been, they probably would have also been included in the 2e version.

But anyway, thank you for your clarification.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: