The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fan Source Book Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Fan Source Book Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Fan Source Book Question Reply with quote

I n the past I have posted material and asked for comments. Going so far as to create an index page with links to an accompanying comment page. Which honestly takes a lot of work for the little feedback it generates. Which leads to the obvious question: Why bother?

I am not going to stop creating content. I do it as a creative outlet for myself, so validation, though nice, it not my motivation. What I am saying is I am having a really hard time staying motivated to do anything beyond creating stats and posting them.

Creating a source book requires reading, research, editing/rewriting, proofreading, creating a layout, and so on. The end product is not created in a vacuum. It does appear in its final form fully laid out with stats.

So there you have it. Why should I bother posting for comments?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel on the feedback and motivation thing.

You make amazing source books though and I hate to think that you'd not bother making them.

Possibly try clustering your stats for feedback by type (I think I may have mentioned this before) for example, the Nightwitches
stats you did could have been posted in a single thread giving the readers something to chew on and possibly respond to (longshot
I know). I found myself thinking I don't have a decent response to all of these individual stat posts.

On the work and effort, I'm not sure exactly what other help I can be beyond what I'm already doing, but I'm willing to try if you
need some more burden sharing. Just message me with what you need help with.

To all those reading this in sneak or non-member mode, time to come out into the light, start interacting and help pay back to the
site for everything it's given you already.

We don't bite Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t post for comments; you post for yourself because it’s a project that matters to you. At that point, it’s out of your hands, because you can’t dictate to other people what they’re actively interested in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us want to post more, but DRL gets in the way, forcing us to take longer to get back to you.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
You don’t post for comments; you post for yourself because it’s a project that matters to you. At that point, it’s out of your hands, because you can’t dictate to other people what they’re actively interested in.

Part of being in a forum is discuss ideas, especially if someone posts a thread and specifically asks for feedback. That does not mean that anyone is obligated to post anything in reply. BUT with several hundred to possibly thousands of people supposedly interested in the forum theme one would think some form of meaningful discussion would take place. ESPECIALLY if the poster has purposefully made it easy for members to do such. Either by the posting structure or linking threads.

I appreciate what you are saying and I agree. Once something it out there you have no control over it AND no one is obligated to comment on it.

My point though, is asking a group of hundreds to thousands of like-interest for feedback is not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is to ask a group of like-minded members and have a what, 0.002% response? Seriously?

As I said to begin with. The question is:

Do I even bother with posting and specifically asking for feedback or just post and be done with it?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter, I think.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. This is a forum setting. You can post without necessarily asking for feedback because if someone has feedback they can give it unsolicited anyway. But it never hurts to ask. Putting together PDFs, or web pages, is hard work. If you want to just post stats to post stats and not worry about compiling it in a PDF, the Rancor Pit is here for that.

I agree with the suggestion of compiling like things in a single thread, but if creating an index in the OP is too much work then don't. But if you don't make an index, then compiling like things into threads (such as for a single book) is even more important for finding things. Now the index doesn't have to use URL tags. For a barebones basic index you can have the character/vehicle name and the URL beside it. That is the quick and dirty method, but still functional.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The latter, I think.

Absolutely this, and 100% agreed. This is my approach with any creative projects that I have a genuine, personal stake or emotional/intellectual investment in. Whether it's write-ups for Star Wars, drawing/illustration, film/video, or otherwise.

I do it for the love of the project, send it out into the world, and leave it at that. I'm glad when I get feedback, but I never "expect" it, nor do I feel it's ever owed to me.

Like Whill said too, it never hurts to ask for feedback, and forums are obviously open for / made for such discussion.

And people can/will provide feedback if they are able, or so inclined. But I can't dictate that they do so, nor should I.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: