The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Robotech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Robotech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Robotech Reply with quote

So, Netflix has Robotech, and I bulled my way through it. I've watched Macross several times, but keep getting bogged down in Southern Cross. I'm only a few episodes away from the end of the whole series and...

damn, I hate Southern Cross. It is the DUMBEST part of the series.

Like, ok, every single group has the aliens among them. In Macross, Miriya is put in a Veritech, but that's REO with a trusted and decorated pilot, to whom she was married, as she provided valuable military intelligence.

The Invid Invasion group has Marlene, but they don't know she's an alien, and she's a non-combatant who comes along with them. They don't know she's an alien... and she doesn't know she's an alien... until she's been with them for months.

Southern Cross? "Hmmm, we found this guy, who looks like the aliens we're fighting, piloting an alien warmachine. Let's put him in a military unit, lead by a notorious loose cannon, piloting one of our most advanced mecha, in the hopes that maybe he'll remember something." Add in the frequent disconnect between actions and voice tone, and it just feels like they were trying to get themselves killed.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rofl
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Robotech Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I hate Southern Cross. It is the DUMBEST part of the series.

I typically skip the Southern Cross cartoon, but the novels were much better fleshed out. Palladium's Robotech RPG has some great artwork of the different mechs, vehicles and gear. Dana Sterling is still an awful character, though.

The Macross Saga of Robotech is fantastic. I was almost 20 when my brother introduced the series to me, as we had missed it as kids. He discovered the show while in boot camp in Florida and kept going on and on about it on leave. I rented the series from Blockbuster Video and kept watching the show every chance I got. One of these days I'll have to find the original Macross and watch it, as I've read the original is superior to the Robotech version.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Robotech Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, Netflix has Robotech, and I bulled my way through it. I've watched Macross several times, but keep getting bogged down in Southern Cross. I'm only a few episodes away from the end of the whole series and...

damn, I hate Southern Cross. It is the DUMBEST part of the series.

Like, ok, every single group has the aliens among them. In Macross, Miriya is put in a Veritech, but that's REO with a trusted and decorated pilot, to whom she was married, as she provided valuable military intelligence.

The Invid Invasion group has Marlene, but they don't know she's an alien, and she's a non-combatant who comes along with them. They don't know she's an alien... and she doesn't know she's an alien... until she's been with them for months.

Southern Cross? "Hmmm, we found this guy, who looks like the aliens we're fighting, piloting an alien warmachine. Let's put him in a military unit, lead by a notorious loose cannon, piloting one of our most advanced mecha, in the hopes that maybe he'll remember something." Add in the frequent disconnect between actions and voice tone, and it just feels like they were trying to get themselves killed.

It helps to recall that they thought Zor was a human captured and brainwashed to fight for the Masters.

Still not really logical, but it helps.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rewatched a bunch of the early episodes on Youtube a few years ago. I hadn't seen them since I was like 4.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Robotech Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

It helps to recall that they thought Zor was a human captured and brainwashed to fight for the Masters.

Still not really logical, but it helps.

To an extent, sure, but by that time, they already knew that the people living on the Masters' ships looked human (q.v. Musica). And they were coming off a war with people who looked human (q.v. Rico, Konda, Bronn from Macross).
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny that each "Generation" was adapted from a separate anime, but all of them feature a green-haired female alien who sides with humanity -- Miriya, Musica and Sera.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Cross is adapted from a romance anime focused toward pre-teen/young teen girls. Even with the changes made in the adaptation, it is very different in tone from the other two series.

However, the books were quite good. They make connections that the cartoon never does.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Southern Cross is adapted from a romance anime focused toward pre-teen/young teen girls. Even with the changes made in the adaptation, it is very different in tone from the other two series.

However, the books were quite good. They make connections that the cartoon never does.

I grew up on the books. Any time my folks decided to make a trip to Osan for a different commissary and a little change of scenery, we picked up another few Robotech books.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was the big Robotech fan when it was on. I was also a fan, but I was too young to really follow what was going on. I just new it was cool with big robots you could fly!

It was the books that really got me into the series. Hard as it is to imagine for people growing up with smart phones and the information superhighway at their fingertips, but back in the 80's if you didn't have a VCR you were at the mercy of broadcast directors in regards to what you watched when.

Watched them all again back when they got on hulu five-ten years back, when hulu was free. Some of it stood up well. Second generation did not.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So awhile ago I got the new Battle tech starter. Like 8 plastic 'mechs and a bunch of cardboard. This thread really has me wanting to paint that stuff up.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
So awhile ago I got the new Battle tech starter. Like 8 plastic 'mechs and a bunch of cardboard. This thread really has me wanting to paint that stuff up.

I originally got into Battletech back in the 80's because it used Macross/Robotech art. Also got into role playing because of the Robotech RPG...which expanded to other Palladium Titles, then AD&D, Star Wars, the Mayfair games DC Heroes, Champions (3rd and 4th...fuzion sucked) then I found the Mecha Game I fell in love with for a long time, which the next edition of promptly ruined Mekton II, which led to Cyberpunk, and Heavy Gear as a spinoff because the publishers previously made Mekton II supplements, and then Project A-Ko because the original anime was hillarious... For a while in the late 80's and a lot in the 90s I was big on Call of Cthulhu and the entire Runequest line as well as Elric/Stormbringer (I really like the Chaosium system, probably my second favorite with D6 in first place). I have played far too many games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: