The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Formidable Aliens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Formidable Aliens Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe they can grow lots of it, to clean up all the radioactive dump sites..

This is how B Science Fiction films start...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Maybe they can grow lots of it, to clean up all the radioactive dump sites..

This is how B Science Fiction films start...

Well it doesn't eat the radioactive material from my understanding. It just uses the radiation the same way other plants use sunlight. Sunlight being a different form of radiation itself. Those plants don't "clean up" the sunlight.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the rancor would have a fair chance agaist a Xenomorph.
other star wars creatures perhaps?

Zillo beast naturally, but maybe a bit too super alien that one.

then we have the Rathar which maybe can at least pose a danger.

then we have the super of supers that bounty hunter guy's species who's name escapes me, but the guy that could regenrate, maybe the name was "Durge" but I am not sure.

Razz
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Heat will also work, in the Leading Edge RPG. They can turn just about any ambient energy into metabolic electricity.

Weird...but plausible...

I just came across this today:

A type of black fungi that eats radiation was discovered inside the Chernobyl nuclear reactor.

In 1991, the strange fungi was found growing up the walls of the reactor, which baffled scientists due to the extreme, radiation-heavy environment.

Researchers eventually realized that not only was the fungi impervious to the deadly radiation, it seemed to be attracted to it.

A decade later, researchers tested some of the fungi and determined that it had a large amount of the pigment melanin -- which is also found, among other places, in the skin of humans.

People with darker skin tones tend to have much more melanin, which is known to absorb light and dissipate ultraviolet radiation in skin.

However in fungi, it reportedly absorbed radiation and converted it into some type of chemical energy for growth.

In a 2008 paper, Ekaterina Dadachova, then of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, noted that the fungi attracted to radiation are unlikely to be the first examples of their kind.

"Large quantities of highly melanized fungal spores have been found in early Cretaceous period deposits when many species of animals and plants died out. This period coincides with Earth’s crossing the “magnetic zero” resulting in the loss of its “shield” against cosmic radiation," the paper's introduction states.

The fungi indicate that there could be places in the cosmos -- which we are unaware of -- where organisms could live in radiation-filled environments.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/chernobyl-fungi-eats-radiation?fbclid=IwAR1iO1Df-mxWGu8maboFsTcH86ECxpxW3lL8GIh7GGP8XfIC98igO799Lms

This is just a really creepy cool fact that I was never aware of, but reading it now immediately makes me think of Ankh-Venharis in Timewalker, he had that killer fungi on his wrappings that fed on radiation and killed people.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question asked, My vote is for the Vorvon. The Crystaline Entity also comes to mind as an easy victory. Some of the sci-fi I have seen it is unclear what abilities are natural and which might be from advanced tech.

Someone already picked the Vorlons and the Shadows.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe I never mentioned them: Carbosilicate Amorphs from Schlock Mercenary. In fact, an early adventure involved Sergeant Shlock fighting something very much like xenomorphs. He started by eating everyone's bodies to gain mass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: