The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

LUZ´s Tramp Freighters Campaign main discussion thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> LUZ´s Tramp Freighters Campaign main discussion thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUZ-TAK
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: LUZ´s Tramp Freighters Campaign main discussion thread Reply with quote

Greetings folks. First of all, sorry for any typo or language slip, English is second language for me.

I’m kicking off a Tramp Freighters campaign next Monday, and I see that a lot of forum members are fans of that setting. So, I decided I would “crowd-source” some help and ideas in crafting this campaign from fellow forum members. Basically, I invite everyone (who does not want the Tramp Freighters campaign spoiled) to chip in and voice their inputs and ideas. I have very little prep time available between sessions, so any and all help is much appreciated.

In order to help me both present my ideas and get feedback on them, I was planning on having this thread being sort of the “hub” of the campaign, and then branch out specific threads for specific topics, like first session, character progressions, planet related adventure ideas, etc. I will post each thread in the suitable subforum.

Also, I am writing down all the campaign information in this Google Dive, so I can update it and have it on hand and you can check the how the campaign takes shape. Please take a look.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxVdhPXLeqh_oBdGtMomTHkfG6JK6R6GIJW9MHm4JEU/edit?usp=sharing

Ok, basic framework of the campaign:

• SW D6 Tramp Freighters campaign was voted by a wide margin. I have some hardcore Firefly fans in my RPG group. They all tend to prefer “independent” type of chars (more rogues than paladins in D&D).

• The PCs are quite a varied group and I’m very happy with it. Of course, char development is not equal, some players are way lazier than others. I gave them all extra 3D on starting skills plus an extra 2D on “normally-useless skills” like cooking, dancing and playing instruments so they can flesh out the chars. I also streamlined skill list quite a bit.

• I plan to use the Tramp freighters campaign from the sourcebook as a framework and weave both regular/classic adventures but also character focused adventures. I really look forward to giving the players a chance to develop their chars in a meaningful way, and not just the Jedi. I’m allowing a certain degree of sandboxing, letting them try fortune selling some wares in their destination of choice, have the setting evolve according to their actions and such.

• The players chose a VCX100 with shuttle as their ship and fitted them with 2 ton scanner resistant disguised cargo containers for the big ship and heavy lasers and extra maneuverability for the shuttle (some players are heavy Rebels fans). This piled up a ton of debt for it: 180.000 credits including loan shark interests, so 6.000 CR a month for 30 months. They mut feel “VERY” pressured to meet the payments for this to work out and make them regret sometimes not choosing a cheaper ship 😉. I plan on making the “pay the loan shark or else” the main theme of the first part of the campaign (please check the “Campaign outline” tab on the googlesheet above).

• Sourcebooks and other material that I´ve read:
o SW D6 REUP sourcebook as base, then Tramp Freighters sourcebook and both of Platt’s guides. I’m moving most of the NPC’s and locations found there into Minos Cluster or around it.
• Sourcebooks and other material that I would like to find time to read:
o Fragments form outer rim sourcebook, Wretched Hives of scum and Villany, Pirates and Privateers and Imperial Sourcebook.
• I look forward to use as much published material as possible (as I said, my prep time is short), so I really hope the forum will help be separate the good from the “meh” content that is available from WEG. I know there are some published adventures that might fit this sort of campaign, like Manhunt on Tattoine. It would be great to know what other ready-made adventures are out there that I can use.

Sister Threads (will add and update as campaign moves forward).

• First session ideas and troubleshooting: https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=200724

• Extra WEG material suitable for a Tramp Freighters campaign https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8143

• General campaign outline discussion thread: https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8142

• Character A: the Astromech development thread: https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=200760

• Character B: the Duro Pilot development thread:

• Character C: the Cathar padawan development thread:

• Character D: the Former Imperial Navy Doctor development thread:

• Character E: the Con-man with vendetta development thread:

• Character F: the Merchant Soldier development thread:

Last edited by LUZ-TAK on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited to read about your Minos campaign!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
LUZ-TAK
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm really excited to read about your Minos campaign!

Thank you! I'm really glad to share it and look forward for help on ideas to making it shine.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUZ-TAK wrote:
Thank you! I'm really glad to share it and look forward for help on ideas to making it shine.

Something I am surprised no one has pointed out to you is the Minos Cluster Player's Guide and Minos Cluster GM's Guide found in the shared files section. All the information from Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters and additional information that should have been included. Hope it helps you out.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
LUZ-TAK
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Something I am surprised no one has pointed out to you is the Minos Cluster Player's Guide and Minos Cluster GM's Guide found in the shared files section. All the information from Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters and additional information that should have been included. Hope it helps you out.

Yes! I saw that already! Txs!
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a very similar situation, running a Tramp Freighter campaign, with a slow buildup to be more involved in the war side of things.
All my players and I are Firefly fans, and I am also way to busy IRL with work and family and other projects, so for the first time I'm using more premade stuff than homebrew. Smile

If you want I can share some of my campaign notes via PM (not sure if my players are lurking here...). I also make title scrolls, check out the Tools section.

Good luck with your campaign!
LUZ-TAK
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
I'm in a very similar situation, running a Tramp Freighter campaign, with a slow buildup to be more involved in the war side of things.
All my players and I are Firefly fans, and I am also way to busy IRL with work and family and other projects, so for the first time I'm using more premade stuff than homebrew. Smile

If you want I can share some of my campaign notes via PM (not sure if my players are lurking here...). I also make title scrolls, check out the Tools section.

Good luck with your campaign!

Awesome! PM sent
LUZ-TAK
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone created a spreadsheet or similar calculator to help out the "financial calculations" of this sort of campaign? Freighter costs, starport costs, insurance, etc? Supply and demand prices of different goods in different types of planets? Etc, etc, etc?
LTAaripJasall
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this too. We recently finished a Minos Cluster game, that moved away from the minutiae of buying/selling into a traditional star wars story of our smugglers vs scary imperial dark side bioweapons.

It has now rolled into the DarkStryder campaign, since the settings are adjacent.

Good luck with your campaign, its a really fun playground setting.

I put my original notes for the first adventure together in a TSR-style adventure supplement here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lw6dqt0mtcyyq1/theMinosCluster.pdf?dl=0
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTAaripJasall wrote:
I put my original notes for the first adventure together in a TSR-style adventure supplement here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lw6dqt0mtcyyq1/theMinosCluster.pdf?dl=0

Hey! I came across that PDF at some point and decided that I was going to adapt "Escape from the Supersmelter" for my campaign. It won't be for a while. Thanks for making and sharing that PDF. I'd like to add it to the Rancor Pit Library.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
LTAaripJasall
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve! I hope to hear how it goes.
Ranger3277
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time lurker, probably 5th time poster: I'm thinking of doing a Star Wars campaign & couldn't decide if to start with a Lords of the Expanse one or use the campaign from GG6. You and your notes helped decide that I'm going with GG6 first.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger3277 wrote:
Long time lurker, probably 5th time poster: I'm thinking of doing a Star Wars campaign & couldn't decide if to start with a Lords of the Expanse one or use the campaign from GG6. You and your notes helped decide that I'm going with GG6 first.

Welcome back into the light, Ranger! Please share how your campaign goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up. On the amount of debt. WHat happens if they just REFUSE to pay? OR fail to pay because they didn't make enough?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: LUZ´s Tramp Freighters Campaign main discussion thread Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice set up. On the amount of debt. WHat happens if they just REFUSE to pay? OR fail to pay because they didn't make enough?

Is this directed at the OP? (Going forward you should try to make clear which post you are replying to anytime it is not the post right above yours.) Before your post, I only found the mention of debt in the OP (see below).

Unfortunately, LUZ-TAK hasn't posted on the RP since December of 2020. I hope he comes back!

LUZ-TAK wrote:
The players chose a VCX100 with shuttle as their ship and fitted them with 2 ton scanner resistant disguised cargo containers for the big ship and heavy lasers and extra maneuverability for the shuttle (some players are heavy Rebels fans). This piled up a ton of debt for it: 180.000 credits including loan shark interests, so 6.000 CR a month for 30 months. They mut feel “VERY” pressured to meet the payments for this to work out and make them regret sometimes not choosing a cheaper ship 😉. I plan on making the “pay the loan shark or else” the main theme of the first part of the campaign (please check the “Campaign outline” tab on the googlesheet above).

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: