The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Collection of short adventure ideas and random encounters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Collection of short adventure ideas and random encounters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Collection of short adventure ideas and random encounters Reply with quote

i wonder if there's a collection of short adventure ideas and plot hooks for in between adventures and longer travel times, like random encounters?

You know, more or less generic but still engaging stuff that can always happen during space travel in the galaxy and can fill an evening and fluff up longer travel times, but not much more.

And if not, anyone wanna make one?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a really great series of random encounters on the G+ community. I think there were tables that they would roll for generalized objective, setting, complication, and a few other categories. I think they were being compiled at one point. Shootingwomprats Do you know if these were ever saved?

I used them quite a few times for adventures I used to run with my kids.

EDIT:
I found them in the RancorPit Library under the G+ files. It was called Adventure Seed Mondays. Here's the list. There doesn't seem to be a table, but it would be pretty easy to construct a random encounter table based on these adventure seed categories:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fae3EX60xoQFip1FLSQ0DLxHFMFtSWUmEdxl8KXSPQA/edit
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, interesting but not quite what i was looking for.

Though a modular random encounter system certainly has its uses.

What i am thinking of, is more along the lines of finding a distress beacon to a ship adrift (which may or may not be a trap), getting thrown out of hyperspace because of a suddenly appearing mass shadow, having stuff happen on a space station whilst refueling or shopping for supplies etc. which can be spun and maybe combined into evening filling short adventures or small side quests.
The initial events and plot hooks may be generic, but it should have enough GM info for a small, simple story, with a possible weird or bizarre twist even to keep things interesting, without putting too much additional work load on the GM. stuff that is just generic enough to be easily adaptable to most settings and eras, but still adds fluff and variety to space travel and the spacer's life, instead of just hyperjumping straight from A to B.
Doesn't even need to necessarily contain one of the major factions, but rather focus on all the other stuff happening with regular people and independents besides the grand conflicts.
Or maybe short scenario ideas around space travel which fit on a single page and can be swapped in relatively spontaneously by the GM whenever necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: