The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Action! Figures! (my SW figure collection)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Action! Figures! (my SW figure collection) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay Will!

Are you going to buy the retro styled Mandalorian figures? They're making all the main characters as Kenner style sculpts. Available for preorder at Star Wars's dot com around 1pm today.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Hay Will!

Are you going to buy the retro styled Mandalorian figures? They're making all the main characters as Kenner style sculpts. Available for preorder at Star Wars's dot com around 1pm today.

Hey TS. Thanks for the heads up, but no. The only thing great about Kenner is the nostalgia involving the actual real thing back then. I really hated the "heroically proportioned" orange cards that came out in '95 but I still bought them all out of nostalgia for all the Kenner figures I gave up. When they started coming out with more realistic sculpts after that, I got rid of the overly muscular figures and replaced them with better looking figures. Then my modern Star Wars figure collection was truly born. The only orange cards I kept were R2, 3PO, and Yoda because they weren't he-man-ized.

The modern sculpts are far superior to Kenner and look much better aesthetically. The fact that they are action figures is enough nostalgia for me, so there is a balance. I only wanted one Mando figure and he looks great. I'd much rather have an actual carded vintage figure than modern retro recreations, but I don't want to pay for one so I'll just be happy with the giant tote full of figures I already have.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the Retro series Mandalorian figs is, they shoulda looked like the mode realistic sculpts Kenner was making in ROTJ and PTOF. Cause that's how the in and out of universe chronology flows!

I got one set to play with, but I don't know if I'll bother with spares.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-retro-collection-action-figures-wave-1-case/hsf0937a

TS that does look really cool. But I still don't think I'll get it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I was cruising Pinterest today and came across these two pictures:

As a kid, stores were heaven stocked to the sky with every toy imaginable. Even if we didn't get anything, my siblings and I enjoyed touching and reading all of the impressive packaging. My parents would get the Wish Book for Sears and JC Penney, and then Christmas would come and we'd enjoy our special gifts, recreating television, movies or comic book stories or make up our own. It was marvelous.

Now, 30+ years later, I roam the aisles at department stores and see one or two pegs with the same three or four figures and feel disappointed.

These picks bring back memories of a store we used to visit when we went to visit our Grandparents in Ohio called Children's Palace. It was a huge Warehouse Toy store... like a giant Sam's Club but for toys, and more than half the store was for stuff like Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Micronaughts, Transformers, and lots of really cool Japanese Anime import toys. I had gotten so much cool stuff there. Sadly I have recently been selling some a lot of it off.

I had/Have a fairly large Star Wars figure and vehicle collection myself from when I was a kid, even though a lot did not survive. Some my brother took and refused to return (as an adult mind you..). I have lost a lot of the guns and accessories, and many of the vehicles that weren't broken are still MIA (likely given away or disposed of by my parents). If I get time I can describe some of what I still own - though aside from a few select figures I am likely going to be getting rid of my collection (I can't just keep packing it up and moving it around, and parts keep getting lost).
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings back a childhood memory of growing up in Delaware, Ohio. I seem to remember hearing about the mythical "Children's Palace." Before now I wasn't ever sure it really existed. I don't think I ever visited one. It all seems like something out of a dream.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That brings back a childhood memory of growing up in Delaware, Ohio. I seem to remember hearing about the mythical "Children's Palace." Before now I wasn't ever sure it really existed. I don't think I ever visited one. It all seems like something out of a dream.

The one I remember started as something called Child World, which was an early rival to Toys R Us. It was located in Boardman, Ohio along the Route 224 strip. We had visited that one many times, and at some point in the 80's it became a Children's Palace. Both stores used a Panda as their mascot, and the interior and exterior changed very little when the name changed. Mere words just do not do it justice - it was a childhood dream. If it is any consolation, looking back, even having been physically inside many times, it still has that hazy dream like quality of an elusive force vision.
Some of my surviving collectible packages (particularly for the LEGIOSS Alpha triple changers from M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.) still have Children's Palace price stickers on them. That is the only proof I still have it was real.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Toys R' Us, we had one right down the road until it closed. My son was sad for a while.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I grew up in Boardman, Ohio, and we had a Children's Palace. It was indeed often stocked like the pictures here.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:

I grew up in Boardman, Ohio, and we had a Children's Palace. It was indeed often stocked like the pictures here.

Where you still there in the 90s/Millenium? It makes me wonder if we met.
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
fogger1138 wrote:

Where you still there in the 90s/Millenium? It makes me wonder if we met.

I graduated high school in 1994, so maybe?
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Whill wrote:

The one I remember started as something called Child World, which was an early rival to Toys R Us. It was located in Boardman, Ohio along the Route 224 strip. We had visited that one many times, and at some point in the 80's it became a Children's Palace. Both stores used a Panda as their mascot, and the interior and exterior changed very little when the name changed. Mere words just do not do it justice - it was a childhood dream. If it is any consolation, looking back, even having been physically inside many times, it still has that hazy dream like quality of an elusive force vision.
Some of my surviving collectible packages (particularly for the LEGIOSS Alpha triple changers from M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.) still have Children's Palace price stickers on them. That is the only proof I still have it was real.

I remember a store in Sunrise Mall here on Long Island called Play World, which was also an early TRU competitor (maybe part of the Child World corporate chain, or vice versa?) One specific memory I have was getting into a spontaneous lightsaber duel with another customer, a guy in his 20's - I was 12 or 13 at the time - with the newly released "The Force" lightsabers - the ones that were basically hollow tubes with holes in strategic places that made a whistling sound when you swung them fast enough. They only made them in red and yellow blades, as far as I know. I grabbed a yellow one, he took a red one, and I remember that during our duel, I fought two-handed like Luke and he fought one-handed like Vader.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:

I remember a store in Sunrise Mall here on Long Island called Play World, which was also an early TRU competitor (maybe part of the Child World corporate chain, or vice versa?) One specific memory I have was getting into a spontaneous lightsaber duel with another customer, a guy in his 20's - I was 12 or 13 at the time - with the newly released "The Force" lightsabers - the ones that were basically hollow tubes with holes in strategic places that made a whistling sound when you swung them fast enough. They only made them in red and yellow blades, as far as I know. I grabbed a yellow one, he took a red one, and I remember that during our duel, I fought two-handed like Luke and he fought one-handed like Vader.

Oh I remember these. You mean this:
http://photos.app.goo.gl/3VkgSomN1dHbTddEA
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, our lightsabers were wiffle ball bats. Our mouths made the sound effects and imagination did the rest.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Oh I remember these. You mean this:
http://photos.app.goo.gl/3VkgSomN1dHbTddEA

Yeah! They made green ones? I'm guessing there were blue ones too? I never got one originally but about 20 years ago I picked up a red one at a garage sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: