The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

IAG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> IAG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you can work out static range bands for 1e/IAG, what's stopping from applying it to 2e also? Is there any reason you think that wouldn't work for 2e?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So if you can work out static range bands for 1e/IAG, what's stopping from applying it to 2e also? Is there any reason you think that wouldn't work for 2e?

The biggest drawback at the moment is wanting to avoid tying it to known distance values and keep it entirely cinematic (or at least as cinematic as possible), as in, no range in meters, no speeds in kph, etc. Sort of like expanding the concept of SUs to make Air Units, Surface Units, etc. I've had a long day, so I'm probably not making as much sense as I'd like...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you mean.

So going back to 1e/IAG, you mentioned thinking about converting character movement to speed dice. With wanting to keep weapon ranges vague general categories. But characters hardly ever stand still and shoot at each other. If movement stays in finite meters, wouldn't the static ranges need finite meters definitions too? Let's say you want increase distance between you and the person shooting at you, and the shooter wants to decrease distance. You've got a foot chase combat scene, and how the character move finite meters is going to determine if the distance between them increases to higher range bands or decreases to lower range bands. It would seem to be an all or neither situation. I'm having a hard time imagining how you could be vague on weapon ranges and specific on movement.

When I worked on static range bands for my game (which is based mostly on 2eR&E), the range bands were each going to have specific meter ranges and movement still worked as in RAW. I abandoned static weapon ranges because in the end it really wasn't any less complex than what I have now, which is RAW combat and movement rules (with your blaster stats/rules).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more that I think Space Units / meters are too specific while Speed Codes are not specific enough. If everything has a Speed Code, for example, it's possible for a ship like an A-Wing (Speed Code 6D) to be overtaken by a stock YT-1300 (Speed Code 2D), depending on the results of the dice roll. I just can't accept that the thrust output of a ship's engines varies as greatly as is represented by the randomness of a dice roll. Better, IMO, to have fixed speed values that can be modified by the pilot's skill roll result.

I did something similar with the Agility skill, where a runner could move an additional meter for every 5 points by which they beat the Difficulty.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: