The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I made Roll20 tokens for 40 common starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> I made Roll20 tokens for 40 common starships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: I made Roll20 tokens for 40 common starships Reply with quote

Starfighters, Transports, and Corvettes

All ships

Since I cropped almost all of them out from renders by unusualsuspex I can't upload the whole set publicly, but if anyone is interested I can share them for private use.

The biggest difficulty was choosing a scale that makes them actually usable in practice.
In the end, I settled on 5 pixels per meter for starfighter and space transports, but on a star background like this fighters required a blue glow around them so that you can actually see them. TIE fighters from above have a very small silhouette and what is there is all dark grey. With the blue outline, they are still visible even when you zoom out a bit, but any smaller than that and it becomes really hard to select and move them.

I first tried to do all ships at this scale, but a Star Destroyer at 8000x5000 pixles completely covers any screen and even when you zoom out you can't see anything else, so that went out the window very quickly. But even a 750 pixel long corvette takes up a huge amount of space next to an 80 pixel long starfigher.

In the end I settled with different scales for different size classes:
1/1 for starfighters and transports
1/2 for freighters, corvettes, frigates, light and medium cruisers
1/3 for heavy cruisers
1/4 for ISDs and MC80s.

Coincidentally and conveniently, the lengths of the respective ships result in their ordinal sizes remaining almost consistent. The Strike cruiser ends up a little longer than the Dreadnaught, even though it's actually a bit smaller, and the VSD looks larger than the MC80s, but otherwise it all stacks up very well. (Maybe I do the VSD at 1/2.5 scale?)

With these scales, having TIE fighters and Star Destroyers in the same fight doesn't get completely ridiculous, but Star Destroyers remain really huge.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Yora Smile

I think the scales for different class ships works fine, it's what most miniature games rely on.

Also, kudos for linking the artist for the source images
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, this is fantastic. Yes, I would love to work something out. I would love to have this for my game!
sithholocron
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome of you, I would love to get a set for my roll20 game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: