The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets? Reply with quote

Earth as all the various terrain or environments we see in star wars, yet most planets are at least protrayed as having only one such environment or one very domienant such environment.

Are there any "earth like" muliti envornment plantes out there and are any known?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Naboo might be... but hard to tell.

We've tossed this around before (I believe it was in the SpecForce thread that I started... discussing whether troops should specialize in specific environments and what not).

My position is that many planets do have multiple climates that vary with region, even though the films don't give us a chance to see that.

For example, Since Naboo looks so much like the temperate regions of Earth, it suggests that Naboo is in a "Goldilocks zone" in it's star system. Which means that, depending on the tilt of it's axis, it will have more or less variation than Earth, but I would expect some variation.

Also, if you look up Tauntauns on wookieepeida, you'll note that many of them were brought to Courescant to be used as mounts in the arctic regions of the planet (despite it being "one giant city," some parts get more weather than others). So there's that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets? Reply with quote

It is unlikely that planets capable of supporting Earth-like life (most of the life we see in the films) would all be one terrain. "Desert planets" capable of supporting Earth-like life are extremely unlikely because it is unlikely that they would have a hydrosphere of less than 50%. Most single terrain planets are the result of authors (and filmmakers) that simply do not care about those details of science. But I do agree with Naaman that if it is not explicit in the film that the planet is all one terrain, then I tend to think that there are other climates on the planet not visible in the film. And even shots from space or artwork of planets that do not seem to show oceans, the planets could have a Pangaea-type supercontinent with the ocean on the other side.

Naboo is definitely not a single terrain planet. It does have temperate forests with rivers and plains with lakes, and massive oceans filled with sea monsters. Film dialogue also refers to swamps. Naboo supports humans and ducks. Naboo is very Earth-like.

I'm into planetology so I like to create more realistic Earth-like planets with a variety of terrains if life evolved there. GURPS Space is a fantastic book that has a system for creating planets with a lot more science in the fiction, but it does involve doing some math. Even planets with no axial tilt are still going to have a variety of temperatures because the equator is still closer to its sun(s) than the polar regions. I did create one desert planet, but it has seas at the poles and massive underground oceans. The planet supports two major species that each inhabit a polar region with more comfortable climates. The planet used to be a lot more Earth like but it was anti-terraformed long ago.

As far as film planets I didn't create, I tend to tolerate the unrealism of them more than for my own. There is a guy on Facebook who devised this whole explanation that it is the Jawas who secretly control the Tatooine and work to pump moisture into the atmosphere. It was very creative. We each have our own tolerances for disbelief suspensions.

EDIT: typos
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure most planets have varied biomes, but we generally don't see enough of the planets to know that.

Tattooine, of course, has a lot of sandy desert, but also has rocky badlands, and I don't mind the idea that they have underground water, or perhaps a permafrost at the poles... something that puts SOME moisture in the air, but not enough for normal life.

Hoth, I figure is a big, frozen, sea, with a few rocky islands sticking out.

But someplace like Naboo or Alderaan or Yavin IV? They have climates. They have varied terrain. But the OT focused on fringe worlds, where the Rebels could hide.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this actually just came up over on Discord. There is precedent in sci-fi for a "desert planet" (Arrakis / Dune, specifically), but once you dig into the lore, you find that the reason for the aridification of the planet is due to the biological cycle of the dominant lifeforms (sandworms) who give off huge amounts of oxygen as a waste product, enough to maintain the biosphere. And even then, there are more temperate zones at the polar caps.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO no planet is just one biosphere..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts, kind of touched upon the whole aspect of planet biospheres.

Quote:
This category is simply the dominant terrain that the characters will interact with. It is important to note that most worlds will have water covering a majority of their surface; unless the settlements are aquatic by nature, "ocean" is seldom listed with terrains since characters seldom venture into those areas. Most worlds feature a variety of terrains, but not all types are listed for brevity.

They pretty much state that there's no such thing as "one" biosphere, and that nearly every planet has a variety of different terrains.

What is seen on the movies is a view of just one relatively small (compared to a planet) area. Imagine if some alien crashed in the middle of the Amazon, or the middle of the Sahara. They might think Earth is entirely jungle or entirely desert.

Or if they set down in the heart of Moscow, or the heart of Los Angeles, they might think the world is a massive city.

Since those areas go on for miles and miles (in the case of the Amazon or Sahara...hundreds of miles) you could have a whole adventure in an area like that and completely miss the wonderful variety of a planet.

So don't take what you see in the movies or shows as "that's what the entire planet is like". Remember what GG8 says about worlds. There are oceans, there is a variety of different terrain. But what you are seeing is the terrain where the "characters" are interacting with things. That's where they crashed. That's where they are meeting someone for a pick-up/drop-off. That's where their contact is hiding. That's where the hidden base is. It doesn't mean there aren't other terrain on the planet, that there's not a polar ice cap, or mountains with glaciers, or bustling cities, or swamps. It just means that where those characters happen to be interacting with things, it's a desert or a jungle.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we all seem to agree that most if not all planets have different bimes, I am more referring to worlds like tattooine, jakku, scarif, hoth etc, all being shown as having one biome, now the "ice ball" planets we do se in the real world, same I would suppose with desert and maybe ocen world, however
I for one want to see a star wars "ground action" spanning a planet as diverse in biomes as earth, I don't think I see this in Star Wars in general

Now comes a little question, the "terrain" tab in most planet write up, these I suppoose are meant as the sominant terrain, making earth with 70-80% water a more or less terrain "ocean and continents" world, limiting in game terms the biomes though without removing them from existence.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I figure most planets have varied biomes, but we generally don't see enough of the planets to know that.

That's also my view. In Star Wars, you don't really get to visit planets. You get to visit space ports.

And since Star Wars is a setting in which people amazingly run into the same things again and again all the time, most planets have only one space port.

What in other fantasy RPGs would be called a "village" is in Star Wars called a "planet".

Some days back I was trying to make a list of all important planets that play a significant role in the Expanded Universe. And that list is really short. Something like 20, 30 at most. And each of those can be condensed down to a single location again. Geographically, the established Star Wars setting is actually really small.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the reasoning for lack of diversity and justifications were covered very well in the core 1st edition rule book (I am unsure if the same section is in later editions) - and the reason is because Star Wars is Space Opera. The emphasis should be on fast action, grand locations, twisting plots, and moral dilemmas. Getting bogged down in minutia will slow down the pace and flow of adventures as well as creating them. For the reasons covered at length in the core 1st edition book I have always disliked trying to apply too much "real World" science and logic because you will soon find doing so breaks lightsabers, brings hyperspace travel to a screeching halt, causes cities to fall from the clouds, etc...

Now, there is no reason you can't have multiple environments on a single world in Star Wars - I would suggest focusing on maybe the 2 most prominent. Trying to detail a whole world with the richness of terrain or biodiversity of of an Earth Like world is a daunting task - and unless the players are going to spend a lot of time there it is an unnecessary effort to undertake really.
To consider - in a contemporary campaign would a player group visit every apartment, stairwell, building, basement, garage, subway, back alley, and sewer in New York? Do you need to map them all? No, only the important ones to the plot.
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the question remains why putting two locations on two different planet would be better than just putting them on the same planet? (And it seems quite clear that Star Wars creators have long ago come to the agreement that it is.)

The only thing I can think of is that it's an opportunity (or excuse) to travel through space. Razz

Why move between two locations on a plane when you can also move on a space ship? They are essentially equal, but space ships are cooler.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet hopping portrays a feeling of vastness, like any planet could exist somewhere in the galaxy, oh look this is a jungle world!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. It wouldn't be Star Wars if they didn't go to different planets in different star systems.

Grimace, thanks for the reminder about GG8. I wish Star Wars authors (and filmmakers) always had that in mind, but oh well.

KageRyu wrote:
Getting bogged down in minutia will slow down the pace and flow of adventures as well as creating them. For the reasons covered at length in the core 1st edition book I have always disliked trying to apply too much "real World" science and logic because you will soon find doing so breaks lightsabers, brings hyperspace travel to a screeching halt, causes cities to fall from the clouds, etc...

To consider - in a contemporary campaign would a player group visit every apartment, stairwell, building, basement, garage, subway, back alley, and sewer in New York? Do you need to map them all? No, only the important ones to the plot.

I disagree that planetary details slow down the pace and flow of adventures. In my experience, it speeds up adventures because when players want to do a left turn I didn't anticipate, there are some details to go on when I've got to improvise. We aren't talking about detailed maps of the whole planet. We are talking big overview like all the terrains existing on a planet in a list with a % value beside them to know how much of the planet is each climate. If the players do end up wanting to the other side of the planet for some reason, the details help make that flow smoother. And the details the GM plans out in advance that don't end up coming into play in the adventure don't bog it down at all in play. The details are there just in case they become important, and only brought into the game as they become important. As far as the time a GM takes to create worlds, how he spends his personal time is his choice.

Whether you realized it or not, from day one WEG went into details and provided explanations for things that appear in the films, like why Han used a term of distance for what seemed to be describing a measure of time. SW novelists and authors of reference books do this too. Some GMs are just like that. And we each have our own tolerances for disbelief suspension, so some things about Star Wars need more realism for me than others. You describe it as a slippery slope that once we start bringing any science fiction (or science) into Star Wars, it just all breaks down. I've been running this game for over 30 years and I have not experienced that. I accept that is the way it is for you, and there is nothing wrong if you and your group want pure space opera and don't bother with any science. But we all aren't like that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

That's also my view. In Star Wars, you don't really get to visit planets. You get to visit space ports.

I've had quite a few games, where the players have gone beyond just the local space port (or docking area), into even the "hinterlands" of the planet they're on..

Raven Redstar wrote:
Planet hopping portrays a feeling of vastness, like any planet could exist somewhere in the galaxy, oh look this is a jungle world!

Plus, going planet to planet, is a great way to toss things in like space battles, pirate encounters and such.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some planets in WEG publications are explicitly Earth-like, multi-terrain, planets.

Desert planets (whether its realistic or not) are a staple of space adventure because of 1) filming in California and 2) the old DUNE books. Heck even Arrakis had ice caps though.

All the "swamp", "jungle" or "forest" planets are at the least gonna have ice caps, oceans, and actually be a mix of forest/jungle/swamp depending on how far you are from the poles/equator and land's relative elevation. A "forest" planet is really just a barely inhabited, totally pre-industrial planet. Like earth for the vast majority of its existence, a world of wilderness.

If I were to judge it based on science and not the latest "Visual Dictionary" or whatever, Hoth is probably in a long ice age that has reached all the way to its equator. I'd guess it's only been an "ice planet" for about 30,000 years and will probably be a "forest" planet in another 30,000 years. That's a long time to an Solo but not long in the 3 billion year history of life on Hoth.

Side Rant: I really hate the "Luke should have died in the tauntaun" thing that cites a bunch of temperatures from West End. That means West End got the temperatures wrong, because Luke DID survive. Duh. Also tauntauns have natural anti-freeze in their blood (like Terran moose) so it's not gonna produce the same thermodynamics as leaving him wet with water.

Officially in the 80's, Endor had deserts. This came up in multiple Ewoks media.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: