The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your Star Wars Universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your Star Wars Universe? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long adopted the rule of thumb that any later source can only expand on an earlier source, but not overwrite it. When there is a conflict, the earlier source is always right.

My own headcanon for the Rebellion Era is:
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Thrawn novels
X-Wing novels
Shadows of the Empire
Jedi-Knight games
Tie Fighter game

And that's it. I really don't like the interpretation of the Jedi and the Clone Wars in the movies. It's something that I simply ignore and don't reference. And while Thrawn, X-Wing, and Jedi Knight are cool, I like to use them as reference information, but actually set games in the years before The Empire Strikes back.

For the campaign that I am currently doing preparation work, I am going to set it in an alternative timeline set after the Dark Side ending of the Knights of the Old Republic videogame. The sources for that campaign in order of precedence are:
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Tales of the Jedi comics
Knights of the Old Republic comics
Knights of the Old Republic game

The only things I think that get overridden by earlier works is that there is no talk of a "Light Side" and that Sith Lords are not called Darth. As far as I am aware, for the first 22 years there was only Darth Vader and nobody else.
For the sake of simplicity, I am also shrinking down the galaxy map to only the area of Sith Space and the bordering worlds of the Republic and Hutt Space. That means all the established Sith worlds like Korriban and Yavin, as well as Mandalore, Dathomir, Onderon, Kashyyyk, Trandosha, and Kessel, and you also get Ithor and Ord Mantell for the Republic. Plenty of famous old classics in only 20% of the galaxy or so.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR: OT with some pulls from the EU/Legends. Everything else is either as needed or reference material.

I run the Empire as the authoritarian state it is, which means that corruption abounds, especially in the military. I've watched all of Perun's videos since March 2022, so I feel that, at least for a layman, relatively well qualified to speak on such matters.

As for specifics:
Whether Han shot first or not is immaterial.
Midiclorians exist - however only Vader, Palpatine, and a few others know that they do.
Thrawn is an unusually competent (at least by Imperial standards) commander, though not to the point of being the Mary Sue he is in Zahn's novels. He can't perform miracles, but he can pull off some nasty surprises. He's also dependent on Palpatine's protection, and he knows it.
Everything pre-Empire (i.e. TPM, AotC, RotC, CW, etc) is either propaganda or selectively remembered.

Sauce for the interested: (I've wasted so much time watching these)
Russia Ukraine analysis
Defence Economics
How Corruption, Lies & Politics Destroy Armies
Next Generation Weapon Systems
National Defence Strategy Studies
Wars & Crisis Outside Ukraine
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtanzer wrote:
TLDR: OT with some pulls from the EU/Legends. Everything else is either as needed or reference material.

I run the Empire as the authoritarian state it is, which means that corruption abounds, especially in the military.

That's something i have often scratched my head at.. HOW such an authoritiarian military, one that is KNOWN FOr killing its own, just because of incompetence, can abide such levels of corruption in its ranks..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR: Based on EP1-6, with some animated and comic material thrown in.

My group discussed this prior to starting our game.

What we came up with...

First we had to decide time period - as well - that gives a range;
The party is all force users, and at about 10 years after order 66.

The main events and characters of the EP 1-6, including Rogue 1 are canon and the party won't alter.

Overall - the events of the clone wars, and later bad batch - are "mostly" canon.
Future events or characters in mando or rebels are fine - but since they are in the future - the party could alter events.

our group does not consider or care for the sequels - if your group does - that is great.
We don't. At all (in fact, the major campaign plotline - will prevent them).

Famous named characters should be avoided - in the game, but are known to exist.
(luke, han, leia, ahsoka, etc.).

Secondary characters can be interacted with - but have mostly mild plot armor.
(hondo, agent kallus etc.).

M-count - does not mean midiclorians - some select scientists have identified that the ability to manipulate the force is tied to the Mitochondria - and thus somewhat hereditary "Strong in my family".

The party has a goal of finding lost jedi - so they are going to be instrumental in building "the path" from the kenobi series.

Due to the variety of sources - exact timelines are a bit ....malleable.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's something i have often scratched my head at.. HOW such an authoritiarian military, one that is KNOWN FOr killing its own, just because of incompetence, can abide such levels of corruption in its ranks..

In an authoritarian society, corruption is a feature, not a bug. It becomes another a tool for control. After all, if everyone has dirt on everyone else, no one is going to move without support from higher up. This video goes into more detail on how it works. Granted, it does use Russia as the operative example, however the basics should still apply. As for Vader's preferred method of...correctional discipline, who's going to tell him no? I suspect that the regular military isn't quite as forceful when disciplining officers. However, in the event that they are, I would point to Carthage, which had a habit of crucifying officers who failed.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched these videos but please take great care in avoiding the discussion of real world politics in accordance with the forum guidelines. Please self-moderate and remove any videos as needed. Thanks.

garhkal wrote:
jtanzer wrote:
I run the Empire as the authoritarian state it is, which means that corruption abounds, especially in the military.

That's something i have often scratched my head at.. HOW such an authoritiarian military, one that is KNOWN FOr killing its own, just because of incompetence, can abide such levels of corruption in its ranks.

The Emperor used the corruption within the Empire to further control and manipulate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

What we came up with...

Did they ever state how so many survived? Or who they all learned from?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
pakman wrote:

What we came up with...

Did they ever state how so many survived? Or who they all learned from?

Yes... once we had our "session zero" with the planning etc. I worked on the campaign story, and we then did a narrative background session designed around events leading up to the start of the campaign. The players had choices to make a different events - etc. That way they all knew one another and had connections - not just to each other - but to key events and npcs which would come up in the future.

To make a longer story shorter (and not really part of this thread ) - they effectively "missed" order 66 - only hearing about it later - so early parts of the campaign were a very strong "fish out of water" type vibe where they had to figure out what had happened, who had survived etc.

As the gm I used various surviving jedi from different sources - they had recently met with jedi master Darrin Arkanian - and one of the main antagonists is Inquisitor Tremayne - who - they knew from their background sessions...(both are on wookiepedia...).

Side note - one of the players is a huge fan of the actor Christopher Lee - and I worked with the player on his character's backstory that he as an abandoned padawan of Dooku when he left the jedi order. The idea is that canon characters exist - but in our game, we can add to their stories as it fits our campaign.

I use a lot of existing canon elements - and and add to them, alter them etc. or change them in ways the party was involved.

For example - one of the characters is in a "liason" with an young ambitious imperial communications officer - who at first believed in the empire - but now - is not so sure. She is the younger version of Tala Durith from the Kenobi series.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your Star Wars Universe? Reply with quote

Primary influences: Archie Goodwin, Brian Daley, and 1990s Timothy Zahn.

Secondary influences: Everything WEG and Bantam, plus the Essential Atlas.

The Clone Wars ended 35 BBY as per A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition.

I scale the Galaxy way down in size. Galactic coordinate = 1 ly across instead of the official 15 pc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: