The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Actual Play Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Actual Play Podcast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Actual Play Podcast Reply with quote

The City on a Hill Gaming, a 5e actual play podcast, invited me and some of my friends to be on the show to run Star Wars instead of D&D. I happily agreed, and ran a modified version of an adventure where my players had crash landed during events of Rogue One, missed their landing zone, and were stranded on Scariff having survived the destruction of the Citadel by the Death Star.

http://www.cityonahillgaming.com/2020/06/05/how-many-frag-grenades-did-you-say-i-have-a-star-wars-special-part-1/

Edit: And here is part 2:
http://www.cityonahillgaming.com/2020/06/19/how-many-frag-grenades-did-you-say-i-have-a-star-wars-special-part-2/

I'll call it out before anyone else does, that I did fudge a few rules. I had to fit things in with a time slot, and so you'll notice a few mechanics went missing to keep things running along.

We had a lot of fun together, and I hope you enjoy the show. I'll make another post when the second half of the recording comes out.

P.S.
I do have a plug for the Rancor Pit at the end of the show, because y'all are just great.

Last edited by cheshire on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to listening today!
Thanks for sharing!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Actual Play Podcast Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I've really been looking forward to this since you mentioned it to me last month. I'll listen to it as soon as I can.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listed to the end, though I imagine that it's a different experience for someone else. All I hear is my own mistakes. But that's what it's like listening to my podcast and watching any my sermons on video.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of fun listening! It sounds like a great group! I especially liked it when the group stopped and took a moment to switch their weapons to stun rather than kill the Stormtroopers!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all-time favorite moment from the group is coming in the second half, which is waiting to be released.

They really worked together to co-create the scene. The imagined, and declared what was in the environment, and the others improved from there. All I had to do was declare difficulty numbers for what they were doing. It was *THE BEST*.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
All I hear is my own mistakes. But that's what it's like listening to my podcast and watching any my sermons on video.

Don't be too hard on your self. I thought it was fine abridgment of the rules for a podcast scenario group with some first time players (or first time in a long time). I'm a stickler for one action from each character at a time, but as far as initiative order within the PC group I often just go with the flow and let players assert their PC's actions. The rulebook even suggests that GMs change it up sometimes so it isn't always the same PCs going first and everyone in the same order, so why not?

It's a great premise for adventure. I liked listening to it. It is a good reminder why I don't like player groups of more than five. Four players is probably even better than five for me.

cheshire wrote:
My all-time favorite moment from the group is coming in the second half, which is waiting to be released.

They really worked together to co-create the scene. The imagined, and declared what was in the environment, and the others improved from there. All I had to do was declare difficulty numbers for what they were doing. It was *THE BEST*.

It's a good game night when when the whole group can co-create like that. I'm looking forward to the next episode. A couple weeks, maybe? Please reply when the next episode is up. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do like the epsidoe, please feel free to leave him some feedback either on the comments section where you download the episode or @CityOnAHillGame on Twitter. I know that it was a really big step for him to go outside his usual playspace, and I'm sure he'd love to hear an encouraging word from the D6 community.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, left on the above link. Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed him on Twitter while I was listening to the episode. I'll definitely leave feedback after the second half of the scenario.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2 (of 2) is now live!

http://www.cityonahillgaming.com/2020/06/19/how-many-frag-grenades-did-you-say-i-have-a-star-wars-special-part-2/
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Part 2 (of 2) is now live!

I missed this being posted in mid-June. I listened to Part 2 tonight. I was glad to finish the adventure and see how it turned out. It really sounded like everyone had fun, so mission accomplished. I couldn't find the episode being mentioned on twitter (but I'm not very twitter-savy), so I posted a response comment to the second episode on its blog post page (it is currently awaiting moderation).

And thanks so much for the kind words of your www.RancorPit.com plug.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the most satisfying part was when we had two of the players ad libbing what they were seeing and how to disarm the security fence. I was pleased that they proactively created part of the setting, and created part of the environment on their own, and in a way that was appropriate for the rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: