The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lil6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Lil6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Lil6 Reply with quote

There’s a new OpenD6 variant on DriveThru and it is an interesting take on speeding up play at the table. Lots of interesting genre-specific subsystems are presented. There are tweaks to the usual expectations around Static defenses and soak (not just straight die code * 3) and a resolution mechanic that looks at the number even results from your roll that wind up as “qualities” you can use to increase your damage or do special effects (which reminds me a bit of systems like Mythras)

Paid version, $5 (USD) https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/317413

Free basic rules version: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/317414

If you enjoy homebrewing D6 systems it is worth a look. I felt the paid product was well worth the genre rules alone but the entire system was easy to read and well presented.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the free basic rules version. Thanks for the tip.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to MiniSix?
Odea Ionstrike
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses Body Points instead of the Wound Track ... which I don't care for but it does help make the games "Qualities" dice effect work cleanly. I've started hacking the wound track back in all the same in a quick playtest I'm running because I really don't care for Body Points.

The genre rules are very modular and can be mixed matched - there are rules for chases, swashbuckling, hacking, cyberwar, spaceships, shock... lots of small modular system you can remix together for another genre type.

Static defenses are calculated slightly differently, mostly due Body Points.

There are some tables for designing creatures quickly - nothing an experienced GM couldn't work out on their own with a bit of time given any particularly D6 games base power level but it is nice to see. On the whole I'd say the book is very GM friendly.

There is a whole Magic system and Psionics system but I haven't really looked at them closely - they are different than MiniSix's though.

Still playtesting and working through the ideas so I'm sure I'll stumble on more differences. On the whole I found the writing, editing, and presentation of concepts more straightforward than Mini Six - which is not to say Mini Six is hard to grasp or poorly written but after reading Lil6 I instantly had ideas for games I wanted to run in a few settings where as I read Mini Six and said "I could use this and that in Star Wars" and never really touch it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: