The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your favorite era to game in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> What is your favorite era to game in? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite era to game in?
Old Republic (circa 1000 BBY or earlier)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Pre-Palpatine Republic (circa 1000 BBY - TPM)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rise of the Empire (TPM - AotC)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Clone War (AotC - RotS)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Early Empire (RotS - Solo)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Early Rebellion (Solo - ANH)
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
The Classic Era (ANH - RotJ)
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
The New Republic (Post-RotJ)
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I tend to like the unfettered options of the Old Republic.

"We're doing something that hasn't been covered by movies or games. So, if my Kashyyyk is weird, it's because it was weird for a while 3000 years ago."

That said, my longest-running campaign was set in the prequel era, using an alternate version of Episode 1 as a background.

Cool. For some reason I've never had any interest whatsoever is playing in this time period. I'm guessing it's because I was never into the old Republic video games, and the comic books for that era were completely during the time I was away from comic books.

I do understand the appeal of not being restricted by continuity heavy-eras, but there really is no such restriction. I've ran multiple campaigns in the classic timeframe but in an alternate universe where the classic films are not the metaplot. I've ran adventures that involve film characters but events happen much differently than in the films, such as the PCs going to Endor, meeting the Ewoks, and discovering Death Star II under construction much earlier than in the films. The Falcon being destroyed and Chewie dying. Original PCs killing Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett. The Rebel Alliance attacking Coruscant in a ground and space battle meant to be a distraction for a team of mercenaries joining Luke to infiltrate the Imperial Palace, where Luke crosses over the Dark Side and beheads Vader, while the PCs subdue Palpatine (with a loss of most of the PCs).

In the greater roleplaying game community, I've heard a lot of gamers complain about Star Wars because the metaplot is restrictive on hero actions, but that's just a bunch of poodu. Any GM and player group can violate the metaplot if they want to. And even with the metaplot, it's a big galaxy. It's also very easy to make fun campaigns that take place in the classic era but are still far removed from the events shown in the films if you want.

My longest active campaign universe so far was one in which events vaguely similar to the films may have happened but it was never conclusively determined one way or the other, and not all the film characters may even have existed. It was conclusive that there was a distant emperor, but that's about it.

In my current campaign universe, I rather enjoy fitting new stories into the metaplot narrative so choose to work with it, only adding the two Disney prequels to the "metaplot", so my post-RotJ setting is also wide open. But for the time period before RotJ, I do not at all feel restricted by the eight films of my metaplot . I feel inspired by it.

garhkal wrote:
I'd love to have gamed in an EP 1 set campaign.. NOT ONE DM ive played under though, has yet done that time frame..

I ran an adventure that took place on Naboo right before and during TPM. The characters got busted in a black market deal and jailed, then while they were in jail the Trade Federation invaded. They eventually broke of jail and as they were making their way across the droid army-occupied city to the spaceport, the Battle of Naboo began. B1s, hover tanks, it was a lot of fun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much ran all my games in the "Classic" time frame, ranging from Star Wars to Return of the Jedi. I had thoughts of running something Post-ROTJ (what would kind of be considered the "Mandalorian" era), but I never really got the chance to do that. I had ideas about what it would have been like long before the Mandalorian ever came out (which I have to say I rather liked what I saw portrayed in the Mandalorian, as it fit a number of things that I had in mind) but a lot of my ideas are just that.... ideas that never saw the light of day in a game.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I ran an adventure that took place on Naboo right before and during TPM. The characters got busted in a black market deal and jailed, then while they were in jail the Trade Federation invaded. They eventually broke of jail and as they were making their way across the droid army-occupied city to the spaceport, the Battle of Naboo began. B1s, hover tanks, it was a lot of fun.

How hard was it for them getting off planet?
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my long campaigns (with different groups) have started 1 year ABY, with the PC's being politically unaffiliated.

I find it easier to play during that period as the players have always seen the original trilogy, so know everything they need to in order to start.

If/when I start another one then I'm tempted to go post RotJ.
StarPadre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
... So if I understand you correctly, you only run in the post-RotJ timeframe, but your campaigns do not take place in the EU (or canon universe), so there is no metaplot or future continuity to maintain. It's completely open ended. Correct?

Yes. The Ep 4-6 films provide history and background, as well as whatever I mined out of sourcebooks on the Classic era, but the future is unknown, 'galactically' or locally, and indeed the NR was what I interpreted it to be like.

I loved the fact that I got to have Imperials all around, pocket Empires, just remnant forces, Imperial warlords (etc), and that the NR was only just holding it's own against those 'Imperial' elements. In fact, I always assumed that if the Imperial elements weren't fragmented, due to no Emperor to command them as a whole, then they would most likely defeat the NR! This meant that Imperial military was still out there, in strength, and kept the 'feel' of the films going on.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose 'Early Empire'.

I am busy planning a SW campaign for when it is my turn next to run a game with my group. I like the time frame about 5 years after the clone wars. There is no 'Rebellion' yet, some Jedi might still be around, and the Empire gets stronger every day.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

It wasn't too easy, but they did make it to a ship and escape the planet. They had minimal resistance to deal with in air/space because of the space battle going on at the trade federation mother ship, which they flew away from as quickly as they could.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarPadre wrote:
Whill wrote:
StarPadre wrote:
It never occurred to me to set my scenarios or campaigns 'any-when' but the New Republic.

I actively played when all I really had to go on was the three films (4-6) and a couple of NR books I'd read. I thought ...

1. It was the most accessible period to the players, as everything they had seen in the films was in the past, and could inform the players' imaginations and understandings.
2. The future was unknown so nothing the players did would cause some sort of 'alternative timeline' situation.
3. It seemed the most exciting period, as the Empire was leaderless but there were pocket Empires with plenty of the favourite bad guys and their machines still to deal with.

So if I understand you correctly, you only run in the post-RotJ timeframe, but your campaigns do not take place in the EU (or canon universe), so there is no metaplot or future continuity to maintain. It's completely open ended. Correct?

Yes. The Ep 4-6 films provide history and background, as well as whatever I mined out of sourcebooks on the Classic era, but the future is unknown, 'galactically' or locally, and indeed the NR was what I interpreted it to be like.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I know what you mean by "nothing the players did would cause some sort of 'alternative timeline' situation" but what you are describing is an alternate reality, an alternate universe to the two officially published universes. My SWU is also an alternate universe.

StarPadre wrote:
I loved the fact that I got to have Imperials all around, pocket Empires, just remnant forces, Imperial warlords (etc), and that the NR was only just holding it's own against those 'Imperial' elements. In fact, I always assumed that if the Imperial elements weren't fragmented, due to no Emperor to command them as a whole, then they would most likely defeat the NR! This meant that Imperial military was still out there, in strength, and kept the 'feel' of the films going on.

That's how I see the galaxy after RotJ. Outside the Sith leadership, DS II, and some of the Imperial fleet lost at Endor, the rest of Empire's governmental structure and Imperial war machine still exists. It is a very chaotic time in the galaxy where the NR is trying to forge order amid all the Imperial remnant power plays with the moffs, admirals, etc.

One thing I dislike about the Disneyverse is that somehow, only one year after the Battle of Endor, the Empire surrenders to the New Republic and what little remaining Empire this is has all of its fangs pulled out. One year after RotJ, the Empire just transforms into New Republic throughout the galaxy! That's way too soon IMO. It was just Abrams brushing the classic Empire under the rug to move on to his plot's backstory: The New Republic's commitment to peace in the galaxy makes them complacent and allows the First Order to rise in power. Bah.

In my SWU, after years of fighting, a few "heirs" of the Empire forge their respective orders over the chaos. If only the successor empires could unite under a single emperor, they might be able to defeat the NR.

Please this thread for a related question I have about your game's setting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool.

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:

It wasn't too easy, but they did make it to a ship and escape the planet. They had minimal resistance to deal with in air/space because of the space battle going on at the trade federation mother ship, which they flew away from as quickly as they could.

What did they do afterwards?? Join the republic? Go free-lance? Join the separatists??
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What did they do afterwards?? Join the republic? Go free-lance? Join the separatists??

It was a one-shot adventure, but the characters are NPCs in my current campaign. The young Gungan outlaw ended up becoming the right-hand man of a Minos Cluster crime lord, and the human ship hand ended up becoming a captain of that ship. He joined Freedom's Sons and supported the Republic in the Separatist War, then when the Empire formed he joined an early rebellion composed largely of Jedi who survived Order 66 and clone troopers who did not follow Order 66 due to radiation effects of the nebula they were in. The rebellion was defeated by the Empire a year later, but the captain survived the final battle and became a free trader/smuggler. In the Battle of Naboo he was a young man, so in the classic era he is in his early 60s.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: