The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New to D6 Star Wars, What to look out for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> New to D6 Star Wars, What to look out for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: New to D6 Star Wars, What to look out for? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, I am a long time Roleplayer but in my decades of gaming I never had the pleasure to Play or Run a Star Wars RPGs. I finally decided its enough and will run a Star Wars Campaign soon!

At this point in my life I clearly prefer RPGs with less rules that are easy to run and require me to make GM judgement calls here and there. I looked at ReUp and 1st edition reprint and decided to go with first as the Skill List alone scared me away from 2e.

Are there any pitfalls in 1e I should be aware of?

One thing I am struggling with is active defense rolls. I personally don't like it as I feel it adds a lot of time and lots of rolls to the game, I would prefer static Defense as in MiniSix or HyperspaceD6.

The Turn order is also weird to me. Probably because I never played in a game where everyone says what they are going to do in order and then its rolled in order. We always play "When its your turn you do what you do." Mostly because I have enough on my mind and would have forgotten what Stormtrooper 15 was about to do by the time we are around the table. Has anyone experience with just running it this way?

Anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance, excited to dive in.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, welcome to the Pit and to SWD6.

The short answer to all your questions is that 1E is infinitely customizable; if you want a hybrid system that uses static defenses from MiniD6 and the Initiative rules from 2E or 2R&E, it’s very easy to splice them in. Just make sure you have the rules in writing for quick reference.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome!

The tricky thing for me is to figure out "what makes sense" since I haven't played it yet. But good to know I can port rules from other editions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosmeister wrote:
The tricky thing for me is to figure out "what makes sense" since I haven't played it yet. But good to know I can port rules from other editions.

Since you're coming at this new, I suggest you start with the RAW (Rules As Written). That'll give you a baseline to see what works for you and what doesn't, and then you can start modifying your game as you see fit. That being said, using Static Defense wouldn't be a difficult mod at all, and would also cut down on the number of unnecessary rolls.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static defense might work really well if used in conjunction with range difficulties ala 1st Edition. Basic difficulty to hit target is passive defense + range difficulty.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosmeister wrote:

Welcome, Chaosmeister. Glad we got the log-in issue resolved. And cool avatar BTW!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Chaosmeister wrote:
I dislike "wasted" rolls so will have to see if I can jiggle an initiative compromise. Thanks!

See if you can find a copy of the Rules Companion for 1E. It’s something of a 1.5E, and there are some conceptual dead-ends, but it’s a decent resource.

1eRC and the original 2e (Blue Vader) still have Declaration phases. 2e R&E is where they finally got away from that. No actions are declared in advance of when they occur, and actions occur as they are rolled. The only thing "declared" is, when it is the character's turn for their first action of the round, the player also declares the total number of actions they are accounting for so the MAP can be calculated (If you declare three actions, the MAP is -2D). Then they say and roll their first action. And the beauty of it is, reactions occur at any time, and the reacting player has the option to use one of their declared actions for the reaction so the reaction doesn't further MAP them the rest of the round, or they can do it as an extra action which does further MAP the rest of their actions, but of course has no effect on actions already rolled before that. If you have a chance to react before your first action comes in the round, you can roll full dice but then when it comes to your turn you are already MAPped by 1D for the prior reaction. And rolling a dodge against a ranged attack counts against all attacks of that type the rest of the round, so you aren't nickel-and-dimed by having to roll for each shot at you that round. It's very smooth and intuitive. With only declaring the total number of actions (that can change but may not change depending on reactions), you can end up completely changing what you were originally planning to do when it comes to actions based on what already all happened in the round up to that point.

I started running this game in 1988 and ran each version of the rules as they came out. IMO it was their devotion to the concept of combat without initiative that lead to this declaration phases and wasted rolls. In R&E, they finally perfected the combat round. It's got a natural flow to it.

Even if you want 1e for other simplicities like a lesser number of broader skills, you can still use the R&E combat round and another innovations and make a hybrid (for example you may want R&E combat but want to stick with 1e skills and movement rules). I think it would be easier to start with R&E as a basis and then go back to any simplicities you prefer in 1e. An expanded version of R&E is available in the Library called REUP.

But an even better option would be to check out the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game if you can. It has a lot of the innovations of 2eR&E with a simplicity akin to 1e. And as CRM already said, it should be no big deal to implement static defenses into any version of the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the IAG tip, I had no idea this even existed. The internet helped me out. Will have a look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: