The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Initiative, Action Declarations, and MAP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Initiative, Action Declarations, and MAP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Initiative, Action Declarations, and MAP Reply with quote

So, looking at the examples in R&E, is there ever a reason to declare that you're taking reactions, if you have initiative?

In the example, Thannik declared he was taking two actions, so he makes his first blaster roll at -1D. Then the bad guys get to go, and Thannik has a choice... he can add an action to take a reaction, or use his unused action to dodge.

So, I would never really want to PLAN to dodge, if I'm not taking a full dodge, and if I have the initiative. If I call for one action, I can make my first shot at full dice, then dodge at -1D, with no penalty to my first shot. But if I had declared that I was taking two actions, I would be at -1D to both actions... or I could add a dodge, be -1D to my first shot, and -2D to my Dodge and my 2nd shot.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the things we've often argued over.. Should you take a penalty (besides MAP) for NOT declaring a dodge, and just reacting..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Initiative, Action Declarations, and MAP Reply with quote

I can see this question was born out of a couple recent new threads.

MrNexx wrote:
So, looking at the examples in R&E, is there ever a reason to declare that you're taking reactions, if you have initiative?

In the example, Thannik declared he was taking two actions, so he makes his first blaster roll at -1D. Then the bad guys get to go, and Thannik has a choice... he can add an action to take a reaction, or use his unused action to dodge.

So, I would never really want to PLAN to dodge, if I'm not taking a full dodge, and if I have the initiative. If I call for one action, I can make my first shot at full dice, then dodge at -1D, with no penalty to my first shot. But if I had declared that I was taking two actions, I would be at -1D to both actions... or I could add a dodge, be -1D to my first shot, and -2D to my Dodge and my 2nd shot.

Full reactions have to be declared as the first action, or declared when first shot at if it comes before your turn in the round, so they are always at full dice (MAPwise). No, if not doing the one full dodge, there is never any need to account for a regular dodge when you declare your number of actions for MAP calculation purposes. As each attack type comes you can decide to react or not, and if you decide to react you can decide if it will use one of your declared actions at no further MAP, or be an additional action that further MAPs that and any remaining declared actions. Yes, in your example where you win initiative and the only action you want to do is shoot an enemy at max skill dice, then shoot at full dice and worry about dodging with a MAP if you end up getting shot at. If you have initiative, your full blaster dice roll may prevent the need to dodge anyway.

And if you do have another action and don't want it MAPped further by a dodge, you can always choose to not dodge and just let the attacker have to defeat range difficulty. Since dodging replaces the difficulty, you may be better off not dodging.

I think it's great that there's no action declaration phase(s) in R&E. You only declare a # of actions for starting MAP calculation, and reactions can truly be reactions as things happen.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's one of the things we've often argued over.. Should you take a penalty (besides MAP) for NOT declaring a dodge, and just reacting.

There already is a penalty built in. The only dodge you declare with your first action of the round is the full reaction. The full reaction is added to the difficulty number. The normal reaction that you don't declare only replaces the difficulty number - It does not add to it. No need to penalize someone further, other than MAPs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: