The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Rules / Books for Tramp Freighter Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Starship Rules / Books for Tramp Freighter Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Starship Rules / Books for Tramp Freighter Campaign Reply with quote

What starship rules and books would work best for a tramp freighter campaign?

I’m gearing up for a Star Wars 1e campaign using the 1e version of ‘Galaxy Guide 6 - Tramp Freighter.’ I am thinking I’d need the Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game core rulebook and The Star Wars Sourcebook.

Some recommend using the Rules Upgrade and/or the Rules Companion. I’ve also heard of folks who prefer the scaling rules in 2.5e.

Basically I want a full, reasonably fast starship combat set of rules that also work with the Tramp Freighter ship upgrade rules (so you can improve your ship as you get money on adventures) which you find in Galaxy Guide 6, but I’m not sure which rules would improve and/or break things if I start mixing and matching scale rules, rules from the Rules Companion, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-- Stan
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starship Rules / Books for Tramp Freighter Campaign Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
What starship rules and books would work best for a tramp freighter campaign?

I’m gearing up for a Star Wars 1e campaign using the 1e version of ‘Galaxy Guide 6 - Tramp Freighter.’ I am thinking I’d need the Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game core rulebook and The Star Wars Sourcebook.

Some recommend using the Rules Upgrade and/or the Rules Companion. I’ve also heard of folks who prefer the scaling rules in 2.5e.

Basically I want a full, reasonably fast starship combat set of rules that also work with the Tramp Freighter ship upgrade rules (so you can improve your ship as you get money on adventures) which you find in Galaxy Guide 6, but I’m not sure which rules would improve and/or break things if I start mixing and matching scale rules, rules from the Rules Companion, etc.

-- Stan

Welcome to the Pit, Stan!

If you are set on using 1e over 2e, I would strongly recommend using the Rules Companion in full. The 1e Tramp Freighters came out after the Rules Companion, so it is fully compatible with it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think about the timing of the books and the implied rules assumptions based on publication dates, but that makes total sense.

Thank you for the reply Smile

-- Stan
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters is exactly what you are looking for.

And I will VERY respectfully disagree with Whill, I find the Rules Companion convoluted and mostly not worth it (although the Capital Ship rules on firing batteries is worth it).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
And I will VERY respectfully disagree with Whill, I find the Rules Companion convoluted and mostly not worth it

That's ok. My best recommendation is to use 2e, but it seemed clear he wanted to stick with 1e. The Rules Companion takes some steps towards 2e.

I'm not a 1e hater. I played it a lot from 1988-92 and it means a lot to me. But maybe I should just shut up about 1e due to my bias for 2e. But we don't get much discussion about 1e at this forum and I wanted to engage Stan since he is new here. Crickets tend to not generate much discussion about 1e and traffic from 1e gamers.

Thanks for chiming in, ThrorII. The devoted 1e section of this forum was created by request of 1e fans who are no longer here using it. Please, if you love 1e, then keep visiting and keep talking about it. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starship Rules Tramp Freighter Campaign Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
I’ve also heard of folks who prefer the scaling rules in 2.5e.

One problem with using a 2e scale system with 1e is that the 2e scale system is based on 2e stats. In the first 2e core book ("Blue Vader"), there was a conversion in the back from vehicles and such from 1e to 2e. The document is in the RP Library (linked in my signature). If you were going to use a 2e scale system for 1e, you would want to convert the vehicle stats from 1e to 2e before using a 2e scale system. That could be a domino that throws off something else... Just saying.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Starship Rules Tramp Freighter Campaign Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you were going to use a 2e scale system for 1e, you would want to convert the vehicle stats from 1e to 2e before using a 2e scale system. That could be a domino that throws off something else... Just saying.

Great point, and thanks for calling out those conversion charts (which I will look into).

I am also looking at what the fan made Star Wars Classic Adventures PDFs did since they have a house-ruled 1e but pulled in the 2.5e scale rules. Maybe they already did the starship conversions for me Smile
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starship Rules Tramp Freighter Campaign Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
Whill wrote:
If you were going to use a 2e scale system for 1e, you would want to convert the vehicle stats from 1e to 2e before using a 2e scale system. That could be a domino that throws off something else... Just saying.

Great point, and thanks for calling out those conversion charts (which I will look into).

I am also looking at what the fan made Star Wars Classic Adventures PDFs did since they have a house-ruled 1e but pulled in the 2.5e scale rules. Maybe they already did the starship conversions for me Smile

If you look a little higher up in the 1e forum, I post how 1e does in fact have a scale system. It is just not overly clear from the initial reading. It is pretty simple and fast, as 1e should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: