The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Telekinetic Kill - who really needs it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Telekinetic Kill - who really needs it? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of the following is the primary reason the WEG designers listed Telekinetic Kill as a separate power instead of using the existing rules for the Telekinesis power (expanding as needed to cover) squeezing someone’s throat?
A. Telekinetic Kill is listed because Vader force choking someone was the first clear manifestation of the Force?
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
B. Telekinetic Kill is listed just to make it easier for players to tell that they shouldn't do that because it's on the powers of evil' list? [BTW, those are air quotes, in case that wasn't obvious.]
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
C. Telekinetic Kill is listed simply to add one more Force Power for Alter?
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
D. None of the above (Please explain.)
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Telekinetic Kill - who really needs it? Reply with quote

So do we really need Telekinetic Kill? See poll above.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Telekinetic Kill - who really needs it? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Which of the following is the primary reason the WEG designers listed Telekinetic Kill as a separate power instead of using the existing rules for the Telekinesis power (expanding as needed to cover) squeezing someone’s throat?

I don't know but I'm guessing it probably was just to especially categorize Telekinetic Kill as 'evil'.

IIRC, I have never had that power or Injure/Kill appear in my game.

In general, I think there are several groups of powers that could be combined into fewer powers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that it was listed because the way that Force Powers were originally listed, 1 use = 1 power. Telekinesis for lifting rocks or X-wings, Telekinetic Kill for choking Imperial Officers.

Quote:
I think there are several groups of powers that could be combined into fewer powers.

I'm with Whill on this one. I'd combine several Sense powers together as well as some Control powers and most definitely Alter powers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'm of the opinion that it was listed because the way that Force Powers were originally listed, 1 use = 1 power. Telekinesis for lifting rocks or X-wings, Telekinetic Kill for choking Imperial Officers.

Quote:
I think there are several groups of powers that could be combined into fewer powers.

I'm with Whill on this one. I'd combine several Sense powers together as well as some Control powers and most definitely Alter powers.

As it stands, alter is really the red-headed step child of force powers, with the least out there.. COMBINING injure kill/tk kill jus into tk on its own, pairs that already small list down to just ONE power.. TK..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose none of the above, for this reason .

To me the power telekinetic kill is a sperate one from telekinesis, as injure/kill is a seperate power, in the case of injure kill this is a touch attack, while expanding on this with the added option to do this same thing, kill from a far, aka telekinetic kill, though to be fair maybe the power should be "force Choke" in stead, since we only see this power used to choke...to kill or "give the message".

maybe Force Choke should be a sperate skill, it could maybe a "variant" of Force Lightning in how it deals damage, I don't know, to me it is vader's form of force lightingin.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
COMBINING injure kill/tk kill jus into tk on its own, pairs that already small list down to just ONE power.. TK..
Yeah that could be a concern, especially if one uses the restrictions on how new powers are learned. One of my players had a Jedi whose best Force Attribute was Alter and it was a struggle finding new Alter powers for her character to learn and that wouldn't earn a DSP.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence why i feel combining powers into one, or fewer does certain characters, a disservice.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hated that TK is an auto DSP. You kill someone with a Lightsaber and that’s ok but if you just use TK offensively then it’s a DSP.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my players in my last group came really damned close to getting a DSP for killing with his lightsaber.

Having an Army Trooper yell out, "The Jedi is killing our wounded!!!" snapped him out of what he was doing.

He blamed it on the Scotch, then proceeded to drink more from his bottle. I approved and gave him a character point for that.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always leaned to Telekinetic kill being a "darker" version of telekineis.
While I can't think of a single time it has been used in my games, I can see the
power and being there for a reson, it makes sense that you can reach out and kill and injure through the force, when you can rech out a dn gran stuff, or push stuff away.

As for the auto DSP I think this is there to avoid this power bing a "jedi blaster"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I always hated that TK is an auto DSP. You kill someone with a Lightsaber and that’s ok but if you just use TK offensively then it’s a DSP.

It's the difference between me poisoning you, vice just punching you.. One's outright evil (using the force), one's using a tool..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:

I would argue that the difference is the fact that TKK is using the force against itself, effectively. That is, using the force in a disharmoneous way (to destroy life, to which the force is essential, and vice versa) is antithetical to the notion of a balanced force.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

It's the difference between me poisoning you, vice just punching you.. One's outright evil (using the force), one's using a tool..

And punching isn’t evil? If I put you in a choke hold control you is that evil? If I use a TK kill to save your life is that evil? I feel the ONLY reason it’s a DSP is that we see Vader use it first. Iirc though Luke does use it in the begging of RotJ getting into Jabba’s palace.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Look, I used the Force to enhance my ability to slice all his limbs off with a lightsaber, but at least I didn't, you know, throw a ROCK at him. That would be just wrong."
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
"Look, I used the Force to enhance my ability to slice all his limbs off with a lightsaber, but at least I didn't, you know, throw a ROCK at him. That would be just wrong."

Very Happy Exactly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: