The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scatter Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scatter Rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Scatter Rule Reply with quote

So, this started as part of the Auto-Fire Rules, but I’m thinking of applying it to coordinated fire from capital ships, too. The idea is that, when firing multiple shots at a target (either with a repeater or multiple weapons firing), the shots have a tendency to scatter, which increases in direct proportion to the distance to the target.

Here’s the general premise:
    At Point Blank Range, any Auto-Fire or Coordination dice may be put into either Damage or Gunnery (or a combination thereof) with no restrictions.

At Short Range, the amount of dice that can be placed in Damage is capped at Max -1D.

At Medium Range, the Damage Cap is max -2D, and at Long Range it’s Max -3D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried resolving this issue as well.

The factors I considered were:
Distance to target
Density of fire
Base damage vs multiple impact damage.

In the case of capital ships, you'll also have to decide what a damage roll should be when all of the shots hit it but are spread out across the ship's hull such that they register as individual hits rather than clustered fire.

Your version is more streamlined than mine, but the following may spark some ideas:

I handled it by applying either a bonus to the attack roll at base damage (effectively "wasting" ammo to increase the chance of a hit) or increasing damage with a higher difficulty to hit (the first round to leave the barrel has the same chance of hitting as a single shot does, but the attacker must roll sufficiently high enough for any other shots to impact; a roll that is exactly eaual to the difficulty lands one shot. 5 over lands another hit, 10 over lands 3 hits, etc.). Regardless, any additional rounds fired are "wasted" if the attack roll isn't high enough to manage recoil control. The minimum rounds fired in a single attack roll was givin in the weapon's profile.

Also, for burst weapons, at point blank range, I doubled the damage bonus to represent the shots impacting closer together.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I proposed a rule elsewhere for a cluster missile that, for every 5-10 points of success (I forget which, exactly) on the Gunnery roll, a second roll was made on the appropriate Damage table. So, if a Star Destroyer was making a massed-fire attack on an MC80, inflicting Light Damage, but beating the DN by more than 10 points, the GM would roll twice on the Lightly Damaged table. That might work here, but I'd need to put some thought into how exactly to apply it alongside the RoE Accuracy Damage rule...

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the grenade scatter pattern be used somehow?

Now if we look to anti aircraft fire these are in all essence grenades that explodes in air causing a burst (or scatter) of shrapnel.

I can imagine that some bolts will explode on impact, and some even act as anti "aircraft".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Can the grenade scatter pattern be used somehow?

Now if we look to anti aircraft fire these are in all essence grenades that explodes in air causing a burst (or scatter) of shrapnel.

I can imagine that some bolts will explode on impact, and some even act as anti "aircraft".

That's an unnecessary degree of complexity. This is just supposed to represent the random degree of scatter involved in firing multiple shots at a distant target. The direction the shots scatter isn't material.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I proposed a rule elsewhere for a cluster missile that, for every 5-10 points of success (I forget which, exactly) on the Gunnery roll, a second roll was made on the appropriate Damage table. So, if a Star Destroyer was making a massed-fire attack on an MC80, inflicting Light Damage, but beating the DN by more than 10 points, the GM would roll twice on the Lightly Damaged table. That might work here, but I'd need to put some thought into how exactly to apply it alongside the RoE Accuracy Damage rule...

In my opinion, the RoE accuracy rule is not conceptually compatible with your auto-fire rules (that is, the concepts seem to overlap such that your accuracy rules ought to overrule the RoE rules: yours trade hit probability for damage, whereas RoE retroactively grants a damage bonus for a high attack roll: if you use both, a shooter would simply put all of his auto-fire dice in the attack roll, and then convert any overages to damage, which negates or mitigates the value of assigning auto-fire dice to damage in the first place).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which version you use. I've long been partial to a 3/1 ratio on the Accuracy Damage rule (1/1 is too effective, and 5/1 isn't nearly effective enough). Using the 3/1 ratio, the trade-off just isn't worth it. A weapon with 3D Auto-Fire that puts all three into Gunnery will only get an effective +1D to Damage. I think it's reasonable that a good Gunnery roll with a repeater inflicts some additional damage by dint of hitting with additional shots. However, repeaters mostly get used in character scale combat, and character-scale damage results lack the granularity of effect seen in the vehicle and starship damage charts. It isn't possible, for example, to hit a character in the leg and the arm with the same attack, inflicting both a Move penalty and a penalty to any skill rolls using that arm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: