The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do "Shield Generators" work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> How do "Shield Generators" work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: How do "Shield Generators" work? Reply with quote

Shield Generator (small 1D) and (medium 2D): Are these intended for ships or persons? What do they do? I can't find a description of their utility.

They are list in page 97 of the 1E Sourcebook.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering some of the equipment they're listed with, I doubt they're talking about personal shields. It sounds more like a portable "cover" generator protecting a static position, but with a lot more versatility than an armor plate or a berm.

Beyond that, I got nothing.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is the 1D and 2D values for small and medium shields respectively. What are those values supposed to mean and when or to what do they apply?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
What I don't get is the 1D and 2D values for small and medium shields respectively. What are those values supposed to mean and when or to what do they apply?

There isn't a clear application for that in the 1E rules. However, looking at them from the 2R&E perspective, I would treat them as Protection-only Cover, which can be steered to cover a particular fire arc by a successful Shields skill use.

Alternately, you can treat them as vehicle mods, providing Shield protection to speeders and walkers, used in the same manner as starship shields.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that 1D or 2D shields would apply to vehicle scale (speeder/walker/starfighter) vehicles or objects, protecting against vehicle scale weapons.

It would protect the vehicle or object against vehicle scale damage (page 65 SW:RPG, and see footnote on page 96, SW Sourcebook).

It would allow the vehicle or object to use the shield rules in the starship section of the SW:rpg (page 54).

Imagine a Golan Arms DF9 tower with a shield generator. It would now have 3D body, and 2D of shields.

Rember, in 1st edition, according to pg 65 of SWRPG and 96 of SW Sourcebook, ALL damage larger than character scale, but smaller than captial ship scale is "Vehicle Damage Scale", and uses the rules in pg. 65.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: