The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scored a Lego Rancor Pit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Scored a Lego Rancor Pit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Scored a Lego Rancor Pit Reply with quote

Found one in box for $20 at Salval. Those were $50 new and go for $100 give or take on eBay.

Now, we already have the whole mantle done up in Tatooine Legos including a Rancor pit but now there's two rancors for two kids.

I don't really have a point, but. When you get a great deal on a new Rancor Pit, it seems like it would wrong not to bring it up on, y'know, The Rancor Pit.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never apologize for finding great deals on and making new acquisitions of Star Wars Legos. Very Happy

Love to see some pics of your setup.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Never apologize for finding great deals on and making new acquisitions of Star Wars Legos. Very Happy

Love to see some pics of your setup.

I'll see what I can do for pics.

Though they have extensive Duplos, the kids are too young for "real" legos outside of semi-supervised play. So I expanded the size of the mantle with a piece of plywood painted to match the trim. The logos on it rotate every few months. We have fairly extensive Halloween and Christmas setups. Then when Christmas is over we swap out for Hoth, normally until the weather warms up and then whatever. We haven't quite settled into an annual routine beyond that because every year has presented different realities since the kids still rapidly progress through very different developmental stages.

This year, around February, everyone got a big Jabba/Rancor/Dewback kick for some reason. I'm not clear how the 1 year old figured out that the above are even things at all. But this meant that Hoth came down early and was replaced by Tatooine. We've got the escape pod, cantina, a dewback and Luke's landspeeder for ANH, then Jabba's Palace stacked atop the Rancor Pit and a sarlacc and skiff for ROTJ. Plus a second rancor pit wedged onto the mantle at the moment...

Eventually the mantle will accumulate too many greeting cards, preschool crafts, dust, randomly sequestered choking hazards, and so forth. At that point all the Tatooine stuff will go away,so the mantle can be totally emptied and washed with a wet rag. Then something else will go up.

I would put up a bunch of pirates that segue into a modern city beach scene, for summer. But I'm sure the peanut gallery will have strong opinions about some new Star Wars thing they'd rather see instead.

I try to limit all SW Lego stuff to Hoth and Tatooine because there's just too much of it being made. But I do have a few other small sets for other settings, and a bunch of my "Hoth" stuff is pretty setting agnostic (Falcon, AT-ST etc.) and has never actually been built or displayed so the kids will consider it new.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Found one in box for $20 at Salval. Those were $50 new and go for $100 give or take on eBay.

Now, we already have the whole mantle done up in Tatooine Legos including a Rancor pit but now there's two rancors for two kids.

I don't really have a point, but. When you get a great deal on a new Rancor Pit, it seems like it would wrong not to bring it up on, y'know, The Rancor Pit.

Awesome! My son and I would also love to see a pic of the mantle.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Awesome! My son and I would also love to see a pic of the mantle.

It is not very photogenic. Especially not right now with the clutter that's accumulated since Hoth-pocalypse happened and it was stripped to the bare board to allow for Tatooine stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/1p7WlB3.jpg

Fully rotating the legos is a good way to make sure the mantle actually gets cleaned with like, soap and water, occasionally.

So what we have here is basically 5 sets. A Cantina (which came with a dewback and Luke's speeder), skiff, escape pod, and Jabba's Palace/The Rancor Pit.

The Palace and Pit are designed so that if you bought both sets, the one would stack atop the other. Thus the trapdoor in front of the throne will drop a figure into the pit. There's a removable tower which is best removed if you are gonna stack them. I think these are two of the best sets Lego ever made for SW.

The Cantina lacked adequate crowds so I obtained an Owen Lars to bartend and a jawa to be a customer. Someday I'll see if I can get an Ithorian (or if I have one in the basement I forgot!).

Jabba's place likewise needs more creatures so I acquired all the figures from the Sail Barge. I was disappointed with that set overall, but it had Ree-Yees, Max Rebo, and Weequay. Plus a slave Leia who is put away somewhere and R2 with a drink tray. I keep the drink tray on the mantle but use the R2 from the escape pod set. It's just a tan 2x4 Lego plate you stick between his head and body and put cups on.

The sarlacc came with the skiff (for $15 a great set too) and is the CGI one. Not a bad little set considering you got Luke, Boba, Lando, plus Barada and the vehicle/monster.

Plus of course as you can see, a 2nd Rancor pit has been recently shoe-horned onto the mantle. Doesn't help the aesthetics any! The pic isn't formatted well for this forum I guess.

I also added an old timey car which was poached from the old Lego Monster Fighters series. Santa-Yoda was driving it on Hoth, now it's just a Mos Eisely vehicle.

I have no idea what's next.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Bith hotrod. Thanks for sharing that great pic!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. My son and I both enjoyed seeing that. Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Very nice. My son and I both enjoyed seeing that. Thanks!

Next time I rotate it out and it's all setup nice I'll take a picture of... whatever it ends up being.

I had a brief part time job at the Lego store before I had kids, I stocked up. The employee discount is huge there.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Love the Bith hotrod. Thanks for sharing that great pic!

Thanks. The pieces were molded in very Tatooine-friendly colors. So I figured it was a good home for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: