The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Han Solo's Blaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Han Solo's Blaster.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Han Solo's Blaster. Reply with quote

We have plenty stats for the good old BlasTech DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol.
However should this be changed to include the configuration options of the
A-180?
The reason I ask is becuse watching Solo- A Star Wars Story again today i noticed that when Han, Chewie, Are talking to Beckett by the camp fire he is actually dismantling a long (rifle lenght) barrel from the pistol, and it appears he dismanteld at least one other attachment.

I can see it configured into at least a rifle/carbine type based on that scene from the movie.

I wonder if the DL-18 could be configurable as well.

And maybe this is better suited in the thread i could not find "what the movies have changed" but it is equipment none the less.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I can see it having attachments, but not to the point it gets made into a full on rifle, pushing it's range 6 times what a Dl44 is at.. Maybe double range i can see.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not uncommon. The broom handle Mauser on which Han's blaster is based had a rather large add-on stock. Pistol versions exist for several popular semi-auto rifle calibers, and given today's modular construction, you can add longer barrels, different stocks, and optics to just about any carbine. It's the gun action that remains the same.

Maybe it's easier to just assign Beckett an increased Blaster Repair skill, indicative of an experienced armorer.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen beckett listed as having equipment DL44 Carbine/pistol
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
It's not uncommon. The broom handle Mauser on which Han's blaster is based had a rather large add-on stock. Pistol versions exist for several popular semi-auto rifle calibers, and given today's modular construction, you can add longer barrels, different stocks, and optics to just about any carbine. It's the gun action that remains the same.

Maybe it's easier to just assign Beckett an increased Blaster Repair skill, indicative of an experienced armorer.

Good point on the Mauser. BUT iiirc that handle only gave a more stable firing platform, not increased its range.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havin looked a the C96 ( the broom handle) and what models were actually produced and issued, there was a carbine, it had increased barrel and wodden foregrip, detachable and for then horsebound cavalry.

I agree that rifle is maybe a bit much, balance wise (maybe) though not in any way mechanically.

We do in fact see Becket dismantle a "carbine/rifle" and this is the DL44 given to Han.

I would maybe allow for a carbine conversion ( the C96 had a full auto version, but allowing a DL44 to be a repeater is stretching things in the game)
I am actually thinking up to x3 or x4 range for it as the DL 44 has a fairly short range in pistol configuration.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a more up-to-date example than the old broomhandle Mauser at any rate, and that's the Glock-based carbines or similar carbine kit pistols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWQFWVww9X8

It's still a 9mm action, but the barrel is replaced, there's Picatinny rail there if you want to mount something on it, and there's the option of a stock. So it is a bit closer to the idea of a more modular gun than the good ol' DL44.

In Star Wars speak, you probably need a quick-change barrel with galven circuitry, a stock, and some kind of sights on it to get a DL44 to perform pretty much like a blaster carbine.

The action of the DL44 would then essentially be the handle-firing capacitor-power pack part, while the stock, the sights, and the extended barrel end up being fairly easily detachable.

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
There's a more up-to-date example than the old broomhandle Mauser at any rate, and that's the Glock-based carbines or similar carbine kit pistols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWQFWVww9X8

It's still a 9mm action, but the barrel is replaced, there's Picatinny rail there if you want to mount something on it, and there's the option of a stock. So it is a bit closer to the idea of a more modular gun than the good ol' DL44.

In Star Wars speak, you probably need a quick-change barrel with galven circuitry, a stock, and some kind of sights on it to get a DL44 to perform pretty much like a blaster carbine.

The action of the DL44 would then essentially be the handle-firing capacitor-power pack part, while the stock, the sights, and the extended barrel end up being fairly easily detachable.

My point was merely that we in fact do see Becket dismantel a carbine (modular DL 44) and gives the "pistol" part to Han, we see clarely the stock as well as the "rifle fore grip" in the scene.

Searching anything blaster and han solo you get 200 million hits on cantina scene ( and yes Han shot first) but I will try to link for those not seen the "campfire scene" where becket is talking to Cara (or what ever her name was) nd while doing that we see his dismantle the Carbine/Rifle configuration of the DL 44
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find any links to the scene but on the SOLO (blue Ray) at
29:40 you see becket pick up a "rile" it could be a carbine, ut I found it too appear too long for that.
then he dismantles it and tosses the "pistol" to Han
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

I would maybe allow for a carbine conversion ( the C96 had a full auto version, but allowing a DL44 to be a repeater is stretching things in the game)
I am actually thinking up to x3 or x4 range for it as the DL 44 has a fairly short range in pistol configuration.

I might agree with a double range, just for putting a stock on. But to me if you wish to tripple the range, you'd need a full on switch out of the barrel, and other stuff.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I might agree with a double range, just for putting a stock on. But to me if you wish to tripple the range, you'd need a full on switch out of the barrel, and other stuff.

I agree with that. A stock alone would do very little to extend the range, however it will increse accuracy at a greater distance then without.
Game wise I would reduce difficulties for range

If you then add on a longer barrel, also a failty quick change that can be done in the field and you now hve the added range.

If we look at the gun and the massive damage it deals, in fact it is said to deal "more damage" than usual as well as other nifty things, it also by it self is fluff texed at least to actually remarkable accuracy without a loss of power up to and including it's mediocre range.

One thing I think would be worthwhile to consider is that a "modular" weapon system, like this and the a180, that are PRIMARILY pistols that can be modulated into a rifle or carbine are often not the best rifles and carbines.
I would go as far as apply difficulties to the weapon's hardness, endurace as well as performance.
While i would give a lack of power or range I would limit #shots needed before a "service to the weapon" etc etc.

Simply put a modular pistol is a PISTOL and "mediocre" carbines and rifles
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Quote:

I agree with that. A stock alone would do very little to extend the range, however it will increse accuracy at a greater distance then without.
Game wise I would reduce difficulties for range

If you then add on a longer barrel, also a failty quick change that can be done in the field and you now hve the added range.

If we look at the gun and the massive damage it deals, in fact it is said to deal "more damage" than usual as well as other nifty things, it also by it self is fluff texed at least to actually remarkable accuracy without a loss of power up to and including it's mediocre range.

One thing I think would be worthwhile to consider is that a "modular" weapon system, like this and the a180, that are PRIMARILY pistols that can be modulated into a rifle or carbine are often not the best rifles and carbines.
I would go as far as apply difficulties to the weapon's hardness, endurace as well as performance.
While i would give a lack of power or range I would limit #shots needed before a "service to the weapon" etc etc.

Simply put a modular pistol is a PISTOL and "mediocre" carbines and rifles

How's about "When making in field mods to switch out barrels and the like, Any 1 on the wild die, halves the effective boost the new barrel should be granting'?"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends greatly on what a blaster’s barrel is, and what function it serves. My theory is that a blaster barrel contains a sequential array of focusing rings that boost the cohesion and precision of a blaster bolt over longer ranges. Longer barrel = more focusing rings = improved range. It’d be analogous to an old-style revolver and lever-action rifle, both chambered in .45 Colt.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tracks with Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, which states 'the energy is focused, or galvenned, when it passes down the barrel of the gun'. Longer barrel = more galven circuits = more focusing = longer effective range. There's probably a point of diminishing returns just like rifling twist rate within the barrel and of course barrel length.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
That tracks with Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, which states 'the energy is focused, or galvenned, when it passes down the barrel of the gun'. Longer barrel = more galven circuits = more focusing = longer effective range. There's probably a point of diminishing returns just like rifling twist rate within the barrel and of course barrel length.

And with what we see in the "essential guide to weapons"..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: